What's new

Is it possible that WTG isn’t a thing for me?

i just completed my 5th DE shave. The last two have produced good results but now I have noticed that I don’t seem to get any cutting WTG. When going ATG or XTG I can hear the cutting happen and feel the results afterwards. After shave 4, I thought maybe it was my angle. For shave 5, I was very careful and repeated the cut WTG twice. I’m wondering if I should just skip WTG first pass.
Thoughts?

With a rigid blade like a GEM Personna PTFE in a 1912 or MMOC I don't have a problem going ATG with my first pass. Anything that cuts down on the number of strokes is better for irritation-free shaves in my book.

You generally don't hear WTG cutting, and if anything they make your stubble more pronounced, because it is shorter/stiffer after the pass, but still feel-able. As @les24preludes says, some can start with XTG or ATG passes.

I have only been doing this for a couple of months. I found that I only need to go WTG on my upper lip and chin. All other areas I start with XTG. I have a tough beard, but my skin isn't very sensitive. My technique is still improving though and I may go back to a WTG pass. The reason I stopped doing one was to save time as it was taking me a half hour to shave when I started. I can do a pass a lot quicker now.

I am very new to DE as well, but not to shaving. I have noticed that for me there is not an exact angle that cuts, more like a very short range, maybe the angle for your wtg is a little off?

Maybe take additional strokes. My neck hair grows weird(sorta left to right) and I have to take many additional strokes as there are always some hairs getting skipped.

If you can handle it, skip wtg. I may be skipping wtg in the future as an experiment and move right into xtg and atg for time savings, and do the full multi passes on weekends when I have the time to fully enjoy the experience.
With cartridges, I would always start xtg or even atg right off if my prep was done, so YMMV and remember, I am very new at this as well, so take my advice to seriously! Good luck!

What works fo me is diagonal passes.
Aka the Gillette Slide. Mantic59 has a great video. Also, my “sensitive skin” disappeared when I started as skin care routine. I hydrate and replenish after shaving and at night.
For me 99.9% of my problem was poor technique. Still is. I’ve been DE shaving since late June of 2018.

I'm like you and have a beard but shave my neck... I'm also a head shaver. I always go against the grain on my neck, especially first pass. Geofatboy had a great video for neck shaving with zero irritation. Worked like a charm.

Give it a try and see if it works for you. My experience is that WTG reduces whiskers enough not to cause irritation with subsequent XTG/ATG passes.

I haven't shaved WTG since 1975. Does just about nothing for me, especially on my checks and under my chin. I think the hair grows out nearly parallel to the skin, so WTG just puts sharp points on them instead of removing them.

I shave strictly ATG using a very shallow angle and good, slippery lather (which means it's almost runny, not hard thick foam). Rinse my razor once per pass if that gives you an idea, and get very nice shaves when the lather actually drips off the razor as I'm shaving. Slick is all that counts for me.

Needless to say, you must use light pressure doing this, and I find it helps to use a fairly aggressive razor ('41 Aristocrat or Slim or Fatboy on 7 work for me). Pre-war Tech works well too. Milder razors leave stubble for me.

Top Bottom