What's new

Is it possible that Nancy Boy s/c actually outperforms my beloved 1805???

It seems I'm becoming more of a heretic each passing day......

I've recently been using Nancy Boy Replenishing shaving cream that I obtained in a recent trade while I've been on vacation (and sans brush:mad:). I have to say, this stuff has exceeded my wildest expectations! It seems quite a bit slicker, while not being exceedingly too thin, than my beloved 1805. I think in hindsight, I'm just taken with the scent of 1805 and not really blown away by it's actual performance, especially the A/S balm which seems rather greasy.

How big of a fool would I be to sell the shave cream and A/S balm and just keep the cologne since the scent is really what I'm after?

Any other thoughts on a comparison between these two?

The 'upmarket' non-traditional (ie non-soap based) creams can be very slick, but lack cushion; similar to a quality gel, like Nivea. For me, they work great as 'one-offs' (usually when i'm somewhat rushed).

However, their performance lessens when used daily; again similar to a good gel (or even a cartridge) my own skin doesn't get along well with them.

How big of a fool would I be to sell the shave cream and A/S balm and just keep the cologne since the scent is really what I'm after?

Any other thoughts on a comparison between these two?

You wouldn't be a fool at all if you're confident in the superiority of the performance of the Nancy Boy relative to that of the T&H, per your needs, and are confident you really have no desire to resume use of the 1805. Nancy Boy is a great cream and very reasonably priced. There's nothing foolish about optimizing both value and performance. Having said that, it might be foolish to do anything rash. A lot of folks find a new cream, think it's the bee's knees and go sell off a bunch of their older stuff, only to miss said older stuff and either long for it interminably, or re-purchase it. Now that's foolish, if you ask me. Better just to keep it and save oneself the bother.

I find T&H creams to be excellent, as well as their balms, if balms are your thing. (These days, balms aren't my thing, but if they were, T&H would be on a short list of ones I prefer.) Also, there is something luxurious about having excellent grooming products infused with a scent you really like. While nothing says you can't base your shaving choices on function alone and save the scents for your colognes, you never know - you might end up missing that scent fix you get with the 1805 products. Consider waiting a bit before selling to see how you feel. Stick with the NB for now, then switch back to the 1805 to see how it strikes you. I should warn you, though: you are in dangerous waters. Both the selling of creams followed by regret, or the wait-and-switch that I've described, have been the flashpoints of devastatingly full-blown cases of OCD-grade SCAD in many a gent shaver. Whatever you do, proceed with caution.

I've never used 1805, but love the Nancy Boy signature cream! It is the only cream I've purchased again after finishing so far (not completely fair, as I've acquired enough creams/soaps to last awhile, there are others I would purchase again). I really like the scent and how my face feels after shaving with it. I was not impressed with their ASB, it was too sticky for me.

I think the best thing about 1805 cream is the scent, for sure. I got better shaves from Ultimate Comfort and especially from West Indian Limes.

I love the EDC and use it quite a bit. I do not have anymore of the cream and do not plan on getting it in the near future.

Top Bottom