What's new

Is it ok to store brushes upright?

I have a brush with a wider handle than normal and it doesn't fit my stands. I also recently received for christmas a Parker pure badger brush that came with a free stand. The stand holds the brush upright. Is it ok to store brushes like this? I thought the preferred manner was bristle side down.

I store all my brushes bristles up. No problems at all.

One time I did have a stand that came with my Semogue 620. I found that it pinched the knot and caused a lot of bristles to break off from the outside. Once I did away with the stand, no more breakage.

Does not matter - up or down.

what is important is good air circulation.

Leave them out on your counter to dry.

Never put them in an enclosed cabinet unless they are completely dry

No! You MUST hang them bristles down! Don't listen to anyone else but me!

I just wanted to be the dissenting voice. :lol:

Given the choice I'd much rather store the brush bristles down between shaves.
It seems intuitive to me that it's good to keep any water away from the knot & especially the resin around the bristle roots.
If it adds to the longevity of the brush with regard to preventing shedding, I don't know. But it can't hurt.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Given the choice I'd much rather store the brush bristles down between shaves.
It seems intuitive to me that it's good to keep any water away from the knot & especially the resin around the bristle roots.
If it adds to the longevity of the brush with regard to preventing shedding, I don't know. But it can't hurt.

It certainly doesn't hurt, though it doesn't help either.
It's just a matter of personal preference and what you feel comfortable with.
We just want to make sure that new guys asking questions aren't given any false impression that it is "better" to do it one way or the other.

It certainly doesn't hurt, though it doesn't help either.
It's just a matter of personal preference and what you feel comfortable with.
We just want to make sure that new guys asking questions aren't given any false impression that it is "better" to do it one way or the other.

Thanks I was starting to think I was doing it wrong.

I regularly use an Ever Ready badger my dad used for years. I think it must be about 50 years old, and it still looks and works fine. He never had a holder.

On the other hand, I do, and use it when the brush is drying. I like the look of a brush hanging in a nice holder and, since I alternate between two brushes, it helps keep track of which one was last used. The alternate brush, of course, is stored bottom down. If you prefer, you can have it both ways!

Top Bottom