What's new

Is it ok to store brushes upright?

Question: "Is it ok to store brushes upright?"

Answer: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you live 'Down Under' then it is perfectly acceptable :)

Of course whatever you do, you need at least a full week of brushes to allow them to dry properly.

Answer: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you live 'Down Under' then it is perfectly acceptable :)

Of course whatever you do, you need at least a full week of brushes to allow them to dry properly.

You do? I've been using my Turk #6 daily for 3 years now. Not bad for a $2.50 brush. Maybe its because of the horse hair?

I'm in the right place then. :lol:

I rotate between two identical brushes. I'm storing one of them standing up, and one in a stand. So far (after about a year) I have not noticed any difference in performance. I don't know about the long term yet, of course, but I intend to find out :001_smile

My dad always used a stand for his brush.

I rotate between two identical brushes. I'm storing one of them standing up, and one in a stand. So far (after about a year) I have not noticed any difference in performance. I don't know about the long term yet, of course, but I intend to find out :001_smile

My dad always used a stand for his brush.

I'm inrigued by this experiment. What type of brush are you using?

Synthetic handles = gently shake out, dry/store upright
Wood handles (eg. Semogue SOC, 1305 etc.) = I use a stand until dry, then store upright. YMMV.

After my experience with my Body Shop wooden-handled brush, I dry my brushes angled downwards in a bowl. I have a dragon-painted Japanese bowl that, to me, looks way cooler than any brush stand.

My Body Shop was a wooden-handled synthetic that, after a few months of drying bristles-up, started to splinter and crack from water damage. This was probably due to my cluelessness (I probably didn't dry it well) combined with the possible "un-sealed-ness" of the handle, but I do remember that. By the way, it's an awful brush compared to a boar or a good synthetic, so don't bother trying one.

Actually you need a full month of brushes. At least.. Everybody knows it....

I loved this!

I think I must break nearly every rule.

Being in tight living conditions, I had to modify the rules a bit. I have one brush that I took with me on my last 30 day at sea period. I really didn't have a choice of where I dried it, so it was in my locker, which has louvers on it. I stored it upright because I couldn't figure out a way to hang it upside down. I used it everyday vice waiting a few days. But this little 18mm Finest Cavalier, which was a restored brush from a B&B member, was always dry each morning, and didn't shed due to improper care for well over a year now. At least yet.

The most important part, for me, was to get ALL the soap out, then gently squeeze the excess water out and use the towel pat method to get the majority of the moisture out.

I think I must break nearly every rule.

The most important part, for me, was to get ALLthe soap out, then gently squeeze the excess water out and use the towel pat method to get the majority of the moisture out.

Good point, I had a cheap boar I bought when I went into the army and then probably had that same brush for the next 20 years, used it every day but I didn't have a lot of choice sometimes for cleaning it properly and drying it out. Eventually the wooden handle rotted away and I used canned stuff until I re-discovered shaving when I had the luxury of storage space and a regular location/job.

Once the brush has all of the excess moisture out then capillary action will wick the moisture up out of the knot, gravity may help it dry faster but as we all know capillary is stronger than gravity otherwise it wouldn't exist. :biggrin1:

Hanging a brush will just assist it drying but once dry a brush can be stored in any direction.

A brush must be stored at an angle, the optimum being 14.5° if you live above the equator and 12.3° if you live below the equator. Trust me....

It doesn't matter at all.

A brush must be stored at an angle, the optimum being 14.5° if you live above the equator and 12.3° if you live below the equator. Trust me....

I was actually going to contact the creator of the Dyson fan and see if he could invent a brush dryer that allows the brush to hover in the drying chamber. While it is hovering the brush will inherently change angles of drying, after all that is really the key, keeping the brush at a different angle for no more than 17.3 minutes while drying...

The optimum compromise is to lay the brush on it's side.
But only on its left side, NEVER the right side. :001_rolle
Without any proof to the contrary, I'm inclined to believe that it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom