What's new

Is it OK to not use aftershave after a shave?

It's not that I don't want to import artisan AS here. They don't even ship alcohol based things overseas.

Believe it or not, I can't even get Proraso AS here.

Do whatever works best for you. There's no one right way to shave. There may be a right way to shave for you, but it's unlikely to be the same for anyone else. Find what works for you.
Didn’t you read the earlier post about imploding the universe - twice! Lol! 😂

"Is it OK to not use aftershave after a shave?"

Actually, that is not allowed. Those skipping this step in properly being prepared for the day will have a visitor at their door, an enforcer from the Aftershave Application Association. You really don't want to mess with him.

dk-barneygun.jpg

Last edited:
Actually I do use an aftershave with alcohol because I want the antiseptic effect. I use Floid Amber and don’t get any burn at all, but that just may be me.

I don’t have any issues with infections but I figure after taking a blade to my face a little germ killer follow-up might be in order.

I have a bottle of D.R. Harris Pink aftershave and it is VERY mild and light on alcohol by design.

If I didn’t use something with alcohol, which I do on occasion, my world continues without a hitch.

With alcohol or without or nothing at all works. Your face, your call.

A balancing skin toner is good to use after washing ones face or shaving.
What is Aftershave? AS is basically a toner with added alcohol and scent. Basically, if you remove the alcohol, you have a scented toner. The most common toner you will see on B&B is probably Thayers. Then Skin care area in a pharmacy will have many types of toners to suite your skin type. If you are not sure which one is best for you, ask your wife or girlfriend. Women are natural born chemists.

If it works for you - why not? I only use witch hazel and then an aftershave balm. I would never use any alcohol based aftershave, since they don't provide any benefit for my skin and might cause irritation. The alcohol based aftershaves are usually recommended for people with oily skin, but that actually makes things worse for them. The more you remove the oil from your skin, the more oil your skin produces and it might work for a short while, but in the long run your face is still going to be oily. This is one of the many things in life which I have a hard time understanding why people like doing it.

Didn’t you read the earlier post about imploding the universe - twice! Lol! 😂

The experts tell us this calamity is certain to occur within the next twelve years if we fail to act immediately. So, I beg of you... PLEASE use an aftershave on a daily basis to help save the universe.
Think galactically, act locally!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Whatever works! I neve used alcohol-based after shaves until I started using a DE about four years ago. Now I really enjoy them.

I would also say that it depends on the amount of irritation you are experiencing. When I was pushing myself to learn to use a more efficient DE (about two years ago) and experiencing noticeable irritation, the alcohol helped sooth my skin. And the same can be said for the last five months learning to use a straight.

I would think of the stuff as being another tool in your kit.

Take some leftover lather from your brush and rub a light layer in your face. If you don't need much aftershave healing that might be just enough. Most good quality soaps will give you a good after the shave feel.

Sometimes I use an aftershave and sometimes I don't. I usually use Lucky Tiger toner. It has an astringent, Witch Hazel plus Aloe and Chamomile. It seems to sooth, no burn and doesn't have much scent to interfere with any EDTs. I often use a balm. I try to have balms or AS that match my soap scents. I don't think a dermatologist would recommend alcohol based AS on the skin. It is often cold and windy here on the prairie and it tends to dry out my skin. Sometimes I do just crave a little burn. I have two, Pinaud Clubman and my new favorite, Captain's Choice Nor'Easter which also has menthol to go along with alcohol. It is very refreshing.

I very rarely use it . Rinsing my face with cool water works just fine for me . I have few bottles of vintage OS aftershave that I use on special occasions or date nights with my wife , but on a daily basis , no aftershave for me .

Top Bottom