What's new

Is it ok to keep the blade inside your DE after shaving?

I've been using safety razor for 4 years now and my routine after shaving is to clean my razor and remove the blade. I place the blade inside the paper.
Can the blade get dull more quickly if keeping inside the razor or not?

I don't keep mine inside my DE, but that's because I will use a Straight 90% of the time now.
When I did use a DE daily, I always left the blade in, and never had an issue. I just made sure to try it properly after the shave.
My feather blades lasted a week with daily shaving, and that was good enough for me until I made the switch to straight razors..

On razors that I will use more frequently, just a good rinse, shake out, wipe of the outside and put it up with the blade in the razor. Lately, I've been incorporating straights also, so on DE razor may not get used for a couple of weeks or more, in which case I'll remove the blade, lightly blot it and put it on a magnetic strip in my medicine cabinet.

Just leave it in until dull and replace. because they are cheap.
A feather fhs in a oneblade I will take it out, flip it and put it back for the second shave of that blade.

As long as you dry the razor and blade you should be fine, but as with all things shaving - it depends. You run the risk (probably slight) of corrosion of razor, or blade, or both, depending on the material of either, if left wet for an extended period. "Tea staining" from oxidation (rust) of a stainless steel razor has been reported and is more likely the longer you leave the blade in the razor. You can also get corrosion with dissimilar metals in contact for extended periods (discussed to a fare-thee-well elsewhere here), for example a steel blade in a brass razor. Proper care and cleaning, and drying between shaves, will head off most rust and corrosion problems even if you leave the blade in. Zamak in particular (a zinc alloy) is particularly subject to corrosion if the surface treatment (usually chrome plating) is compromised. A little TLC goes a long way to preserve and protect equipment, shaving and otherwise.

I generally use the same razor and blade 4-5 times in a row. The blade stays in the razor on a special hook in my shower for the duration. Then, blade gets put into the bank and the razors is cleaned and put away.

Water quality seems to have an impact on whether you need to clean the blade; hard water very quickly leads to scum buildup on the blade hence why I remove and gently wipe the blade daily. Blades dull through use and poor handling and not how they are stored between shaves.

When I know I'm going to use the same setup the next day, I leave it in, but I release the tension a little, to allow better air flow. Then I rinse it, shake the big droplets out, and put it in a safe place till the next shave.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I loosen the handle and rinse well under running hot water, leave the handle loose and set the razor down on its side, where a blade tab would be, to drip dry on a folded tissue. Before the next shave I disassemble the razor, flip the blade and carry on.

I loosen the head, rinse with clean water, shake out the water, dip in 91% rubbing alcohol, shake it out, and then tighten the head. The alcohol dip replaces the water preventing corrosion and the collection of hard water minerals on the blade and razor.

I rinse the razor under hot tap water, fully assembled, gently pat dry the handle and cap and put it straight back in the cabinet above the sink.

If you use the razor daily, keep it in there until it is time to change the blade. If you put the razor in storage after your shave, take it out und dry the razor.

I loosen the handle and rinse well under running hot water, leave the handle loose and set the razor down on its side, where a blade tab would be, to drip dry on a folded tissue. Before the next shave I disassemble the razor, flip the blade and carry on.
Same here, except I've never flipped the blade. And I only disassemble my 3-piece razors when I clean them with Scurbbing Bubbles and a toothbrush.

Top Bottom