What's new

Is it normal to unclog the razor after each stroke?

Looking at your pictures, it looks like (to me) there is lots of dried hard soap residue caked thickly on the comb and edges of the razor. Forgive me if I’m seeing something else that looks like residue, but you should soak those pieces and scrub them with a toothbrush.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I normally rinse my razors after each stroke. I have not had to take them apart or loosen them to rinse them due to any clogging. I am like some of the others and suspect that your lather is too thick. Just my thoughts on your dilemma.

As some people asked: no pre-shave oil, but Trumper's skin food, glycerin-based. I'm not sure it makes a difference for clogging, which seems to be mainly cut hairs (and lather, probably too dense, of course).

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It's either the soap is too thick, maybe combined with pre-shave, or:
198750535_4245097028892735_931001770589085332_n.jpg

I use Trumpers Skin Food with absolutely zero clogging problems. My Old Types can get clogged with lather but never hairs. My closed-comb Gillettes rinse out easily as well.

I think the problem has to be some sort of issue with the mismatched base and cap. I don't know what, but I've never heard of someone needing to take apart a vintage Gillette to unclog it. I get several strokes on each side before I need to rinse.

Last edited:
Shaving will have to wait till tomorrow, I'm afraid :), ideally a day or two more, but here are more angles:

View attachment 1280205
There is a unique Short Comb cap but the New Short Comb were issued with the same caps as the Long Comb as well, parts are parts being the Gillette motto at that time. I doubt searching one out will work magic with your clogging. FWIW when Gillette first marketed the Tech its "no clogging" safety bar design was a primary selling point. Clogged combs were particularly a problem with the brushless creams Gillette and others were marketing at the time. The Barbasol and the Micromatic razors were redesigned for the same reason.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree with SugarDaddy on the "too thick lather" as being your problem. It needs to be nice and wet where it almost drips. If it's clinging that desperately to the razor it's too dry.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a Gillette New Long comb similar to your Gillette New short comb and have no issues but I shave daily mostly and it is a good razor.
If you like vintage razors there is one razor that will help in not clogging and its the Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf, gives a very nice shave also.
This one is my Peerless model Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf 17 nib safety bar, the standard Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf 12 nib are nice also.
GEM Clog Pruf 1945 Peerless (2)17 tooth.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom