What's new

Is it my Razor?

did you ever tried a heavier razor? When I use light razors I don't get enough feedback and start to apply more pressure. Or consider trying a SE razor, because those use much more rigid blades. Those work much better for me than DE blades.

sounds like your solving the problem, I think all the suggestions are good and worth exploring. the only one I have not seen on this thread but have seen on others and not something I do myself, is to use a cartridge razor, Gillette Guard, Sensor or whatever on the last ATG pass only on the neck.
Personally the DE 89 always gives me a good shave, but for BBS on the neck I use a feather in something more aggressive and pay very close attention to pressure, angle and making sure I do not keep going over the same space.

While there are already many answers, I want to throw in one myself as I have been in a very similar situation. The fact is that even Feather blades do tug (if I use normal straight strokes) for me even after a shower and a proper lather, so I know what it is to have strong beard.

Have you realized that on the ATG-pass the blade is almost parallel to the hair (if both hair and blade is at 30° it is parallel), meaning that the edge is not hitting the hair, but the flat side of the blade. As the razor is pulled, at some point the hair will begin to bend enough the edge can slice it. However before that happens the blade will want to dig into the skin as the flat side of the blade follows the hair down leading the edge towards the skin. Now the stronger hair you have, the more of this digging in happens.

There are several solutions and a combination of them might work well:
  1. Try to use even less pressure to counter the digging in
  2. Try to use an even milder razor because then both the cap and the guard will rest against the skin preventing the blade to dig in on the ATG pass. With mild razors I think of razors like iKon X3 and RR Mamba. EJ89 is moderate in my opinion as it got a positive blade exposure.
  3. Add the Gillette Slide technique for easier cutting and less tugging.
  4. Make sure your razor is keeping the blade edge stable. Some razors got too narrow cap leading to a vibrating edge that will irritate the skin. It is important the blade is rigid.
  5. Maybe use a slant as they tug less in my experience.
My own experimenting lead me to use iKon X3. It is ultra mild so be prepared that there will be a steep learning curve for getting close shaves. You only achieve that when you control the angle perfectly. Even though this is a slant, I still use the Slide technique to improve the cutting even a bit further. The only downside of X3 is that it does not align the blade automatically, making blade change a little bit more difficult. As I have focused on this razor and learned to handle it, each shave is close and I do not upset the skin anymore.

For even lighter pressure I have combined my X3 with an aluminum handle.

While there are already many answers, I want to throw in one myself as I have been in a very similar situation. The fact is that even Feather blades do tug (if I use normal straight strokes) for me even after a shower and a proper lather, so I know what it is to have strong beard.

Have you realized that on the ATG-pass the blade is almost parallel to the hair (if both hair and blade is at 30° it is parallel), meaning that the edge is not hitting the hair, but the flat side of the blade. As the razor is pulled, at some point the hair will begin to bend enough the edge can slice it. However before that happens the blade will want to dig into the skin as the flat side of the blade follows the hair down leading the edge towards the skin. Now the stronger hair you have, the more of this digging in happens.

There are several solutions and a combination of them might work well:
  1. Try to use even less pressure to counter the digging in
  2. Try to use an even milder razor because then both the cap and the guard will rest against the skin preventing the blade to dig in on the ATG pass. With mild razors I think of razors like iKon X3 and RR Mamba. EJ89 is moderate in my opinion as it got a positive blade exposure.
  3. Add the Gillette Slide technique for easier cutting and less tugging.
  4. Make sure your razor is keeping the blade edge stable. Some razors got too narrow cap leading to a vibrating edge that will irritate the skin. It is important the blade is rigid.
  5. Maybe use a slant as they tug less in my experience.
My own experimenting lead me to use iKon X3. It is ultra mild so be prepared that there will be a steep learning curve for getting close shaves. You only achieve that when you control the angle perfectly. Even though this is a slant, I still use the Slide technique to improve the cutting even a bit further. The only downside of X3 is that it does not align the blade automatically, making blade change a little bit more difficult. As I have focused on this razor and learned to handle it, each shave is close and I do not upset the skin anymore.

For even lighter pressure I have combined my X3 with an aluminum handle.

That makes so darn much sense I am slapping myself for not realizing it sooner. I have trouble ATG with both my DE89 and my straights - and I've polished a frightfully sharp edge onto the straights. I still get tugging and digging with them ATG in spots.

Sorry OP - didn't mean to hijack your thread, but the above explanation really hit me like a brick, and I need to think this through a bit...

All good advice here. Thank you all so much. Loving the results just trying to hone my skill. Actually got my Slant in the mail today. Probably try it this weekend in case it goes bad :001_07:

Just realized y’all also have a pipe smoking sub-forum too. I’m going to like it here :a17:

Top Bottom