What's new

Is it me or are Nivea shaving gels not as good as they used to be?

A little background :

I have a combination of dry skin and super mega tough beard.
Both my dad and brother have tough beards, but mine is tougher than theirs.

I have used Nivea gels for years, mostly the moisturizing (dark blue can) and sensitive, but my trusty one has been the forner.

Lately I've noticed both gels were giving me average shaves, sometimes quite bad.
I didn't change anything else in my routine, so I was sure it was the gels (and I was right).

I later noticed both gels have been reformulated, a nasty habit Nivea has had for years now.

They removed some oils from the moisturizing version, and added witch hazel to the sensitive one - why the hell would they put an astringent in a shaving gel?

Just for fun, I shaved with a travel sized cans of Gillette Series Sensitive and Edge Sensitive gels, and lo and behold , the shaves were much better.

Now I'm gonna stock up on the their Sensitive Cooling aftershave balm before they reformulate it, because it's a great balm, but they will reformulate it, that's what they do ...

I'm sorry to hear that the product no longer suits your needs. I wouldn't know about the gels, but have you tried the creams? They might be more to your liking with or without a brush.

I'm sorry to hear that the product no longer suits your needs. I wouldn't know about the gels, but have you tried the creams? They might be more to your liking with or without a brush.

Thanks .
Don't worry I'll be ok :)

The creams are good with a brush, not a fan of using them brushlees

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to always use the Nivea Sensitive canned gel. I have not used it for about 2 years now. I think that next time it is on half price at my work, I will get a can and try and see if I have the same experience as what you have had. I also found the ALDI brand Prince shaving gels to be very good.

I use the Nivea sensitive foam when I’m in a hurry and I get good shaves with it. It might be worth a shot. I
like it better than the gel.

Top Bottom