What's new

Is it me, my eyes, an optical illusion, wear and tear or is it just my Gillette Slim ?

My Gillette Slim looks quite good for its age (61 years - built 1961 ;) )
But:
The part of the handle, with which one can open the doors, looks "darker" than
the upper (fixed) part of the handle...somehow.
First I thought it may be wear and tear...may be the nickel plating was partly damaged...but
with a magnifier glass I could not find any damage (points where the bronze is visible) of the plating.
But I recognized also, that the knurling of that lower part is a little different (more "dense" if that makes any sense)
to that of the upper, fixed part.
May this the reason for its "darker" appearance?
Unfortunately I didn't found any comparable photo...there were photos of chrome or rhodium plated Slims (too shiny), photos, which
were of lower general quality, too dark pictures....and so forth...

If there is someone out there with a Slim of good condition - especially when it comes to the plating:
Is this "darker plating" effect an optical illusion, is my personal problem ;), wear and tear, or... ?

And if there is something which can be done to make the lower part as shiny as the upper part while not doing any harm to my Slim -
I would be very happy to hear about it (I washed and cleaned my Slim thoroughly beforehand...)

If wanted, I will post a photo tomorrow - currently the moon is not giving enough light...

Flitz polish used gently after some dawn or joy and an old toothbrush generally does wonders.
A picture is worth a thousand words.... 😁

I already washed and cleaned the Slim the best I can ( see: What stuff to take to descale a Gillette Slim? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-stuff-to-take-to-descale-a-gillette-slim.620374/post-11649724). Flitz is unknown here.
I will take a photo tomorrow, when more light is available again...
It's German engineered. From their web site

The polish that launched an entire company over 40 years ago. German engineering and American know-how bring you the Swiss Army Knife of polishes. A concentrated cream, Flitz Paste Polish is unsurpassed in its ability to clean, polish, de-oxidize and protect. Provides a durable finish with tough protection. It's non-abrasive, non-toxic, non-flammable.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately despite it is german engineered I found no way to buy a bottle of that stuff here for a reasonable price.

Top Bottom