What's new

Is it just me?

For over a decade, I can’t go for a shave with just one razor. Not less than 3 or more than 6. There is only so much face real estate. But I love playing and experimenting with so many combinations.
Yeah , I should pick one and do all my variations ( strop, stone, film, etc) and see what works. But it’s just so much fun! And so many razors and so little time. Bang one out and give it a go.

I have a collection of straight razors, DE razors, and SE razors. Yeah, I even have a couple of cartridge razors that I use for shaving the back of my neck.

I typically do a four-pass shave. When using DE or SE razors, I will use a different razor and blade combination for each pass. When using straight razors, I will do two-three passes with the straight and then use a DE for my clean-up pass.

I do not think I have every tried using more than a single straight razor during a shave. With a straight, the angle of the blade can be easily adjusted to control the aggressiveness.

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. I have spent a lot of time and money exploring options on how to get the best shave. My goal is to get a near BBS shave with zero skin irritation. I accomplish my goal about 95% of the time.
\

Oh yeah! Me too! I did tonight’s shave with 5 straights then touch up later with an Edwin Jagger. Just here and there. And a straight or two. Just a stroke or two and you know if it’s right or wrong . If it’s wrong grab the next blade and make mental notes.
BBS. Yup . Every day all day. It’s the best. I have enough straights to go over a year and not use the same one twice. DE SE 2 years +.

A kindred spirit!

Last edited:
I frequently put 2 against each other one on each side of my face, usually this is because I just honed some razors and it's the quickest way to do a full shave test to know if I need to go back to the stones or not by using more than 1 at a time.

Sometimes one fails and needs to go back while the other passes, usually anymore they both pass, but I still have to subject everything to shave test before it gets to the top of my case.

Oh great. Every day I tell myself it's just shaving so get on with it. But every day I come up with some crazy idea, like two blades in the same razor, or using moisturizer instead of soap. Now I'm not going to be happy until I've tried every razor and every blade I have on every part of my face.

Yeah, I've been comparing edges lately so often there will be two, rarely three in the mix. Also sometimes if I'm shaving with a bigger razor, 7/8 plus, I will grab a narrow one to go XTG/ ATG starting at the right ear and going left across the face. Much easier to navigate the first inch or so with a little blade and if I leave stubble there it gets itchy.

I look at it this way. With at least two , prep them both the same and give it a go. This one’s good, this one’s better. OK, why? Is it the thickness of the blade, the steel what did it, bevel angle?
What could you do to improve the one that’s “lesser”? Are some blades just stinkers? I have some I just can’t get a decent shave out of . Why?
With say 3. This one’s good , this one is better and this is really good.

Or , this one stank and I have to figure out why. Now concentrate on that one.
The combinations are endless.
I have a well known name and it shaved well but this GD I built knocks its socks off. What gives?

And believe me, I have several GD’s that will out perform many big name razors guys cherish.
Why?
Prep 2-3 -4 razors. All on the same stones. Same leather . Same soap. What changes? What can you change.
Not , “ last nights shave was good but this isn’t as good” when all variables change.
Side by side.
Just curious.

Last edited:
i have not used used 2 in the same shave for many years. I often compare stones with a matching pair on successive days, I know this introduces variables but it’s enough for me

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
When I compare edges day-to-day, the soap/cream, brush, AS, pre-shave if any, all stay the same.

Using an identical pair of razors during a single shave is the best way to hold all the other variables constant. Note: straight razors are handmade goods, so just because a razor pair are the same, doesn’t necessarily mean that they shave the same - though they usually do. It’s best if you have an identical pair that you know from experience also shave the same.

Comparing soaps and creams is a little more difficult, at least for me, because it tales a long time to ‘get to know’ the slickness (or lack of slickness), residual slickness, post-shave feel/performance, etc. A prime example for me is Santa Maria Novella v3 (the current version). It never seems like it’s doing anything spectacular, but it is. I always get great shaves with it unless something else is amiss. But it takes a while to understand how the soap is performing with different razors, different edges, different brushes, and I don’t get tired of the SMN scent.

Oh yes, the possible combinations and variables are endless.
I guess what I’m basically doing is restoring/refreshing a pile of blades and checking that the edges are decent. If they are they go back in the drawer and i know they’re ready to go.
Then too I just like to play with my toys!

I've done this, don't do it often though. Sometimes it's because I need to review a few different stones and get it done quickly. Other times it's just because.

Top Bottom