What's new

Is It Just Me?

Unfortunately I don't have comparison photos at hand, but basically it is a 7/8ths - 8/8ths blade, longer than most razors, very thin grids and quite square. Square points. That's the similarities I have found between all of them.

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, it was used to denote the 7/8ths-8/8ths sized production razors in the days before custom makers.
Filarmonica sold round point versions too, although I remember reading an opinion that those were primarily for export. But most of them, and most of the other 14s, were square. The single stabilizer seemed to be common to all.

Böker is offering a 14 currently, but it has a double stabilizer.

Many people start off with a 5/8" round tip straight razor. Many vintage razors are 5/8" and modern straight razors of that width tend to be less expensive. However, many who use straight razors tend to favor 6/8 - 7/8" razors. It is much easier to judge the blade angle with the wider width and the heavier weight provides some stability in the hand. Once you get beyond 7/8", the weight of the razor increased significantly and it is more difficult to shave tight spots.

Until you are able to judge the position of the point of the razor without looking, round points are safest. Once you have some experience, you may take a liking to other types of points. I love Spanish point, French point, and Irish point razors.

Not just you - by using less than comfortable at the start I realised what would suit me. No gold, no roundpoints, unobtrusive stabilizer (if any), 6/8 regardless of maker's way of measuring.

I don't mind a smile but jimping helps with dexterity problems and shank contours I'm not too picky about.

I'm getting close to ordering a Koraat soon, and the only reason for me to go through the configurator is the jumping, size and losing one shoulder. Otherwise I would have gone with the stock Purist or 14.20.

Just the right Heljestrand could make me a bald-faced liar, though:hand:

I too prefer a naked blade, polished or crocus but brushed or satin OK.

I don't like gold from a lifetime maintenance standpoint, so fragile and sometimes moldy looking when deteriorating. A nice strong etching is often durable and artistic. BUT ... I dislike the feel of deep etching on my face. Boy was I surprised that it would even be noticeable. Maybe my cheeks pooch out or my pressure is Way Too High. Either way, what a wimp :p I prefer the silky soft feel of gold (or the aforementioned crocus or polished finish) despite the many drawbacks of gold.

Enamaled is somewhere in between I imagine. I think I have maybe two that are enameled and I recall noticing face feel but not hating it.

I too prefer a naked blade, polished or crocus but brushed or satin OK.

I don't like gold from a lifetime maintenance standpoint, so fragile and sometimes moldy looking when deteriorating. A nice strong etching is often durable and artistic. BUT ... I dislike the feel of deep etching on my face. Boy was I surprised that it would even be noticeable. Maybe my cheeks pooch out or my pressure is Way Too High. Either way, what a wimp :p I prefer the silky soft feel of gold (or the aforementioned crocus or polished finish) despite the many drawbacks of gold.

Enamaled is somewhere in between I imagine. I think I have maybe two that are enameled and I recall noticing face feel but not hating it.
The long-term maintenance is the clincher for me too. It can be beautiful but the long and the short is I want a well made traditional tool to scrape hair off. If I was a collector Matt would have sold out on that Oster and a few others lately!

Many people start off with a 5/8" round tip straight razor. Many vintage razors are 5/8" and modern straight razors of that width tend to be less expensive. However, many who use straight razors tend to favor 6/8 - 7/8" razors. It is much easier to judge the blade angle with the wider width and the heavier weight provides some stability in the hand. Once you get beyond 7/8", the weight of the razor increased significantly and it is more difficult to shave tight spots.
I started with a 6/8" round point Ralf Aust. (Some recommended the 5/8" for a newbie but I was up for the challenge). I bought quite a few Japanese razors in the 5/8" and 6/8" range. And then I dipped my toe into the Filarmonica world with a Medallon Taurino 13. Once I moved to the Filly 14's, it was hard to go back to 13's. The architecture of a Filarmonica 14, especially the first generation ones is just perfect. The second-generation Novodur 14's are also superb.

I also like Palmera.... @haggis Good thing you didn't see this trio of lovely JV 14's on BST.

Palmera especial.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting conversation .... I can't really remember all of the straights that I owned, honed and sold or gave to others. Not that it was a huge number, but I struggled to remember all of them individually. I can remember when I bought my first razor. Twas a Ralf Aust 5/8 round point and came with the recommendation as a great beginner straight.

I started "collecting" and found myself wanting 6/8's and larger blades. But then and now, I find myself coming back to the tried and true 5/8. That size just seems to work for my entire beard/face than any of the larger straights.

Strangely enough, I have yet to secure a nice Barber's Point or Spanish Point. I also would like to add a nice thumb notch LeGrelot and CV Heljestrand to my now smaller, more modest collection.

Happy Hunting @SparkyLB !

@Titleist, you might appreciate a Dovo Barbossa. It is a 6/8, I know, not high on your list of widths, but it has a shorter length, a shoulder-less design, and is deceptively nimble for the package. Good luck. I own a smaller width Schaap, and I'm familiar with nimble and ability to get into those hard-to-reach areas.

Best.

I couldn't sleep tonight, and found myself driving down "antique row," and think I might make a 1/2 day out it later and see what straights they have in the antique shops.

Any names would be VERY appreciated. I know Wade & Butcher, Schaap, W.H. Morely & Sons, and if emblazoned with the word/s Solingen, Germany, Sheffield--they will be quality.

Any other brands/makers/names I should look for tomorrow. I might have to acquire a No. 14 Fillarmonica that I keep hearing about, though I'm a sucker for a Spanish or especially French point.

Thanks, all!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If you can pick up a Cadman "Bengall" I don't think that you will be disappointed. They are much harder to find in North America.

Any other brands/makers/names I should look for tomorrow. I might have to acquire a No. 14 Fillarmonica that I keep hearing about, though I'm a sucker for a Spanish or especially French point.
When I first started out, I thought the Filarmonica 14's were ridiculously expensive. (Actually, wet-shavers have been
complaining that they are over-priced for past twenty years it seems). However, once you shave with a good one (a first generation or second generation NOS or at least near full-width), you will understand the hype. The high-end Spanish 14 razors are coveted for a reason, whether they are a Filarmonica, an Iberia or a Palmera.

I might have to acquire a No. 14 Fillarmonica
One golden rule when buying Filarmonica - If it doesn't say Jose Monserat Pou on the tang, don't buy it! The reason for that is because the last generation, made by questionable makers, doesn't have it, and I have read some really bad reports from them.

Obviously the rest is up to you as far as the condition go. User-grade Fili 14's can be found at reasonable prices, <$200 (most of mine are user grade) and they will shave as good as a new one.

New old stock in mint condition can be very pricey >$350

The other thing to watch for apart from the usual when looking at vintage razors, is cracking. I have seen quite a few with cracks and it's not something I would buy.

I would rather buy a honest blade, showing corrosion and watermarks, than a restored, shiny one with all the etching removed. Again the reason for that is you don't know if the person restoring it had it on a buffer and may have over-heated it spoiling the heat-treatment.

One golden rule when buying Filarmonica - If it doesn't say Jose Monserat Pou on the tang, don't buy it! The reason for that is because the last generation, made by questionable makers, doesn't have it, and I have read some really bad reports from them.

Obviously the rest is up to you as far as the condition go. User-grade Fili 14's can be found at reasonable prices, <$200 (most of mine are user grade) and they will shave as good as a new one.

New old stock in mint condition can be very pricey >$350

The other thing to watch for apart from the usual when looking at vintage razors, is cracking. I have seen quite a few with cracks and it's not something I would buy.

I would rather buy a honest blade, showing corrosion and watermarks, than a restored, shiny one with all the etching removed. Again the reason for that is you don't know if the person restoring it had it on a buffer and may have over-heated it spoiling the heat-treatment.

There is at least one exception to that golden rule.

There is at least one exception to that golden rule.
That's remarkable razors!

I am keeping it simple enough to warn against buying one of the bad ones. I know a member that bought some of the last generation as his first Fili and was put off altogether by the experience.

I never had a EPB in my hands, but from what I could see on photos, they don't have anything on the tang either because of the rubber.

Doesn't look exactly like a Fili14, so I would class them as for advanced Fili connoisseurs only. :c9:

@haggis has a beauty that I made an offer on which was declined. At least it went to a good home where I am sure it will be appreciated.

@haggis has a beauty that I made an offer on which was declined. At least it went to a good home where I am sure it will be appreciated.
Lordy is it ever appreciated. One of my Desert Island razors for sure. It took more than one offer (and I think a month or so between them) before I got one accepted. Still a shock to the wallet but I'm enjoying it now and when I'm dead I won't care.

Top Bottom