What's new

is it just me or has the pool of vintage DE's dried up?

I went up north with the missus for vacation and hit up my usual antique store hot spots and came up bone dry. There was one antique store that had a bunch of Gems, other than that, nothing. Have any of you experienced this where you live? Either vintage DE's are becoming scarce or we're buying them all up. I was disappointed not to come home with any shaving goodies :sad:

Theres nothing in my surrounding areas. I have to rely on Ebay and pay a pretty penny for anything I really want...

While reading these shaving forums, I regularly read posts from many of you who admit to owning over 100 DE razors..... and I read your Shave Den inventories.....

I think that answers the question as to where they are all going.

It seems to really be hit or miss, and lately mostly miss. The dealers clearly now know there is a growing collectors market for vintage razors. I was at an antique mall here in Reno last week and picked up a few: a good condition Fatboy cased at $35, a New Improved for $14 with the typical cracked barrel, and a Slim at $12. But, there were many more Techs and SSs for $28-35 in the showcases. The last few months when I went in there, there were maybe two DEs in total and a handful of beat straights. This time there were almost 20 DEs, but no decent straights.

The junk shop I frequent has also been dry for months and yesterday they had a 1920 cased Big Fellow that I picked up for $25. With this place I have gotten to know the owner, so he holds shaving stuff for me to look at first. One of the most successful ways to get in, is to befriend the owner(s) and let them know you are interested in razors. It sometimes works.

I was in London for a month and went to a few stall and boot sales and came away with only one razor. A user grade HD500 that was a mess, but it was only one English pound. Otherwise, I could not find squat worth buying. I had hoped to find some straights, but nada!

As to where they go, a box. I do a good bit of lending and gifting to folks, but mostly they go into my box in the closet.

Last edited:
Almost everything I've seen, in all types of stores that sell vintage shaving items, are overpriced pieces in rough condition with maybe a couple exceptions here and there. I'd say major metropolitan areas (specifically for me: San Diego, San Francisco, NYC) are almost impossible to find a deal in nowaday.

Ben

I've noticed no difference in the two years I've been looking. Antiques shops in NYC have always been fallow ground since I've been in the market.

Millions were made. Thousands are still out there in drawers or garages somewhere or they are with someone who knows their value. We have done a good job of education John Q. Public regarding our willingness to pay good money for these razors.

When ever an old person dies there's likely to be a drawer or a box of old razors.
I used to have all the old razors I'd ever used. SA, Injector, Ultrex, Sensor etc but I think my ex tossed them during a move.
I was working at an elderly ladies home repairing her cabinet when the talk got to old razors, she then told me she had a couple of her deceased husband old razor and went to fetch them, she came back with a nice Fatboy and Slim Adjustable which she then gave me and refused any money, even when I told her they were often sold on e-bay.
So they're out there, there's also a large portion of the population that doesn't use the internet at all.

When I joined last year, Fatboys in very good condition with no case were regularly going for $35 on ebay.

If you look at the prices now, user grade Fatboys are routinely going for $60.

There's no shortage of buy it now cased Fatboys for $100+, regardless of condition.

There was a thread yesterday about a blue tip selling for ~$120

I've never found any at a flea market but I think it's because the people selling at the flea markets around here won't mess with them.I see them sold pretty often at auctions and they usually go pretty reasonably,I pick out the ones that I want to keep and usually sell or trade the rest.There are a couple of antique shops around that I should check but haven't had time in a while.

It's not unusual for me to go into an antique store and find nothing but Gems and Schicks. Usually the Gillettes were cleaned out long ago.

I've seen no change in availability in my area of Maine. They've not been available and still aren't.

I get mine from the b/s/t and I'm happy for it.

CFM and glasgowgoodies and their cohorts have done this . . There is a cabal at work . . .

Seriously, prices seem to ebb and flow. Last year razors on eBay were (sort of) reasonable. This year, not so much.

Two months ago I visited a local antique/flea market location locally. The old guy found this metal rectangular razor case, kind of blackish, with a blackish razor handle and guard and cap in it. It cleaned up (sort of) into a silver Tuckaway (though the name Tuckaway was not on the inside lid). The case was silver, black from many years of tarnish. The silver razor had one or two bent end teeth. Otherwise, everything was fine.

Oh, did I say it cost $4? No blade case, but what the hey.

Hit or miss, I say. Hit or miss.

There are plenty in north east Texas, but most are not in top shape. The advantage though is that most are selling for 5 dollars or less. All they usually need is a good cleaning.

I've noticed no difference in the two years I've been looking. Antiques shops in NYC have always been fallow ground since I've been in the market.

Wow in NY? Antique shop's ? Really, Where? All i see is Mcdonalds, Burger king's,Wendy's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Walmart, Kmart, etc etc, all these damn Commercial stores out here are driving mom and pop shops away, Including Antique store's :eek:/

Top Bottom