What's new

is it just me or does falling ash cause a relight? (Cigar)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Falls in, or falls out? I usually have to give it a quick waft with a flame when I ash it. If I'm lazy on the tamping side, it tends to go out with the ash still up off the tobacco... so I'm guessing that if it collapses on its own, it keeps going. Not sure though, as by the time I've paid attention, it's too late.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Falls down? I’m talking about a cigar. Today the ash just naturally fell and the cigar was basically out at that point. I had to light again. A quick flame

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Falls in, or falls out? I usually have to give it a quick waft with a flame when I ash it. If I'm lazy on the tamping side, it tends to go out with the ash still up off the tobacco... so I'm guessing that if it collapses on its own, it keeps going. Not sure though, as by the time I've paid attention, it's too late.

I think he means on a cigar.

Depending on the cigar man. The Umbagog last night smoked past the band no touchups.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I guess I’m still trying to get this cigar smoking thing right! Can’t wait until I get the B&B LE :lol:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I guess I’m still trying to get this cigar smoking thing right! Can’t wait until I get the B&B LE :lol:

Lol pipes can be even harder, although you have control of the entire process from humidity of tobacco, to how you pack it, tamp it, light it. I think you need to practice before getting the LE. It will be like letting a 15 year old drive the Rolls with his learner’s permit .

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Lol pipes can be even harder, although you have control of the entire process from humidity of tobacco, to how you pack it, tamp it, light it. I think you need to practice before getting the LE. It will be like letting a 15 year old drive the Rolls with his learner’s permit .

I drove a Cadillac when I was 19. Bring it on! I typically dive in heard first and then realize I can’t swim.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It depends - most of the time, if I have been 'actively smoking' the cigar, dropping the ash does not mean that the cigar needs a relight.

If I haven't been paying attention, it goes out - ash or not. ;)

Depends on how deep the cherry is. A lot of cigars burn better without ashing. The ash is the insulator. Plenty of people review cigars say the taste changes after the ash falls... but you don't want to ash on the floor or your shirt. So... depends on the cigar and if a butterfly flapped its wings in thailand today I guess. ;)

If you have to relight, don't sweat it, just touch it up and go back to enjoying the stick if possible. If you can't get it to where you like or it tastes off, toss it and light a new one. If yuo're only half way through, don't judge it on that one stick. Too many variables. If it happens multiple times, trade the rest of that box away! Or just hang on to it for a later date.

Sometimes I can smoke the same cigar from the same box and nub it. Others, I get close to the band and it is gone. Don't sweat it.

“Depends on how deep the cherry is”😂🤣😂
Sorry, 16 year old me had a good laugh at that. But if you lightly give the cigar a tap you should be ok. The harder you ash it, the deeper the ash will fallout for a relight.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've not had that problem yet.

There are some odd cigars, at least to me. Usually if I set a cigar down it will quit burning fairly quickly. There is an occasional cigar that I set down but when I come back in a few hours it has all gone to ash.

Top Bottom