What's new

Is it just me?, no love for the Rockwell 6 C!

So is it just me?.

Recently purchased a new Rockwell 6C, was excited to try it due to the overwhelming good reviews! And then abject disappointment...tried several different blades, most it didn’t seem to like (despite many reviews saying the Rockwell can take pretty much any blade and give a good shave). Finally settled on a Astra SS or GSB. And no the razor does not appear to be defective in any way that I can see.

I also happened to get a new Parker Variant soon after the Rockwell and this was love at first shave!.

A little background, only being DE shaving about 4 months so yes my technique may not be up to scratch, but it just goes to show YMMV. I first started DE shaving with a Muhle R89, and gave up after two weeks as it was ridiculously mild for me and my beard type. Then got a Muhle Rocca R95, great razor and gives good efficient shaves but perhaps not a daily driver for me.

I purchased the 6c as my second DE after using an EJD89 for a couple of months. I've now tried all the plates from 3 to 6 (thought no need to try 1 & 2). I've settled on the Astra SP as my blade of choice with the 6c. I was pleased with plate 4 and then found plate 5 to be more efficient but also more likely to cause some irritation. I finally decided to try plate 6 yesterday on two day's growth. Imagine my surprise; not only was it not hazardous to my face, it produced a really nice two pass shave. I gave it a go again this morning with the same results. Interesting.
That is all to say, while I don't have a lot of experience with different DE razors, the 6c has been good for me. I'm going to continue with plate 6 for awhile to see how it all works out.

It’s not that I can’t get a decent shave with the Rockwell, it just seems to give me some irritation. I only use the 5/6 plate, and have a medium dense beard.

I get far less or zero irritation with my Muhle Rocca and Parker Variant.

The angle of use on the Rockwell is different, perhaps due to it being a milder razor so maybe I just need to persist with it...but then why bother when I could just use the Parker Variant!.

I think I may just chalk it down to expierence and flog it.

It’s not that I can’t get a decent shave with the Rockwell, it just seems to give me some irritation. I only use the 5/6 plate, and have a medium dense beard.

The angle of use on the Rockwell is different, perhaps due to it being a milder razor so maybe I just need to persist with it...but then why bother when I could just use the Parker Variant!.

I think I may just chalk it down to expierence and flog it.

I'm no Rockwell fan boy. I do enjoy both my 6S and 6C, and I do think they are extremely good razors for riding the cap on the neck.

The other two razors that do this well are, coincidently, the Rocca and the Variant. The difference with both of these razors is that they are a step up in aggression and efficiency IMO.

I'm surprised you find that the Rockwell causes irritation. I find it fairly inefficient but never irritating. Could it be that you are applying pressure to compensate for the inefficiency?

I've read a couple of threads where people come down on the side of being underwhelmed by the Rockwells and the pattern seems to be that a more aggressive razor is preferred.

The Variant is my favourite adjustable, the Rocca my favourite fixed.

I keep an ATT H1 head with my Rockwell. Sometimes I will put that on for the first pass, 2nd with the Rockwell 6, and then finish with the 2 or 3 plate.

I am very fond of my 6C. I use it daily, usually with plate 4, but sometimes with plate 5. I never have any irritation issues with it, but for some reason I have gotten it into my head that I should try a Muhle Rocca. Since both of you have used both the Rocca and the Rockwell 6C, how would you compare the two?

I am very fond of my 6C. I use it daily, usually with plate 4, but sometimes with plate 5. I never have any irritation issues with it, but for some reason I have gotten it into my head that I should try a Muhle Rocca. Since both of you have used both the Rocca and the Rockwell 6C, how would you compare the two?
For me, the Rocca is like plate 7 or 8 on the 6c/s.

Yes, the Rocca is a fantastic Razor. The best of German design and engineering. But it is more efficient that the Rockwell, I agree with Seveneigth above that it’s like a Rockwell on plate 7/8.

For me a great razor for 48 hrs of beard growth or more but perhaps not a daily driver. Some guys with heavier beards could use it as one.

I’ve been enjoying my 6C. I’ve consistently gotten close and smooth shaves. That being said I have a pretty light beard and really sensitive skin so that may be why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just like any other razor, it has it’s following and it’s detractors. Some folks swear by it’s mindless, easy shaves.
Mindless and easy, maybe, but the results are fantastic. I just finished a week shaving with a Gillette Slim, and that also gave me a great, smooth shave. But it has to be used in an entirely different way than the Rockwell. The Slim requires a consistently light touch and requires more care as I sweep around the curves in my face to maintain contact with the skin yet not press too hard. The Rockwell 6S, which I prefer to the 6C, most likely due to its extra weight, is nowhere near as sensitive to differences in pressure but superbly efficient. I think the key question is, how much aggression and blade feel do you need to get the efficiency you want. For those of us who like mild razors, I don't see how you could do much better than the 6S.

Might try Merkur 38C. After my new Timeless .95 scalloped base, it's my favorite. I have Rockwell 6S, Muhle R89, Progress, Muhle R41, Merkur 1904. The R89 is TOO mild. It is very comfortable though. The Rockwell 6S is very smooth. The Timeless is VERY smooth, too. I am just learning the Timeless. Be advised: All razors shave a little bit differently. I mastered the 38C years ago, that could be why I dig it the most.

I just got the 6C and no complaints. So far I've used the 2,3 and 4 plates with Gillette Blue blades and the 4 plate has given me one of the best shaves ever. I don't use really aggressive razors. Hope it works out better for those of you that are having trouble with it. Good Luck !

I have a 6C, and usually use the 3 plate. I always get good shaves with that plate. Smooth, forgiving, sometimes DFS, sometimes less.

I have tried the 4 plate, and it was just never as comfy as the 3 plate. I didn't care for the 5 plate.

Last night I read KellyG's post above, and was inspired to try the 6 plate, which I had never tried. I had 2 days of growth.

Great, BBS shave. 3 passes, as I always require. I usually need clean-up passes on my neck and sides of my chin. BBS with zero clean-up.

So is this one of my lucky outlier shaves? I did use a new Voskhod. I have been getting very nice shaves from my PAA Prismatic, but it needed 3 passed and a clean-up.

We'll see if this passes the test of time for me.

I also just purchased the 6c should b here next week and like Kellyg this is only my second razor going on from a de89..

I have quite a heavy beard and can get BBS with the de89 and a persona platinum in 4 passes, a feather in 3

Ordered the 6c after reading so many positive reviews on this forum so really hoping this helps reduce the number of passes I need to get to BBS land

I only got the 6c over the 6s cos I heard they shave the same and I love my razors shiny :)

Couple of comments on this thread prefer the 6s over the 6c, any chance u guys can elaborate why?

I also just purchased the 6c should b here next week and like Kellyg this is only my second razor going on from a de89..

I have quite a heavy beard and can get BBS with the de89 and a persona platinum in 4 passes, a feather in 3

Ordered the 6c after reading so many positive reviews on this forum so really hoping this helps reduce the number of passes I need to get to BBS land

I only got the 6c over the 6s cos I heard they shave the same and I love my razors shiny :)

Couple of comments on this thread prefer the 6s over the 6c, any chance u guys can elaborate why?

I prefer my 6C over my 6S. There is a very slight difference in the lip profile and the 6C shaves better. YMMV.

Top Bottom