What's new

Is it easier to SR shave someone else?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have watched a few barbers SR shaving their customers and had a few barbers SR shave me on occasions. This got me thinking. Is it easier to SR shave someone else than it is to shave yourself?

I would try and find out myself but I have no friends who will trust me that much.

I've used a straight razor on others only to shave the back of the neck after giving them a haircut. I cannot say that shaving another person's face would be easier without a proper barber's chair. To shave another's face, you would have to have them in a horizontal position.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I haven't (yet) tried to shave myself in a horizontal position. Could be interesting to try one day.

I would have thought without training it would be difficult, judging the lightness of your stroke on someone else must be something that takes ages. I can't see me ever doing this or letting anyone apart from a barber touching my neck 😁

A friend of mine wanted to try his first shave with his not really shave ready straight razor. He asked me to guide him through the shave. He had a perfect shave in mind for his first shave, but after a few strokes of the razor he gave up. Without a backup razor to finish the shave, he asked me to finish the shave, because he was late for a party (great planning :letterk1:). I hesitated, because I had never done something like that. But he looked terrible with his 4 days growth and bald shaven patches, so I did shave him while we were standing. It was much easier than I had thought. Even the "customer" commented on the good shave.

It feels odd to shave someone else. However if you can shave your own face and have the technique under your belt it isn't as difficult as you might think. Using a barber's chair would make it easier than standing.

Legion

Staff member
I’ve shaved a few ladies legs, just because they asked, but never a fellas face.

I’m guessing the topography of a leg is easier than a face.

I once shaved an elderly gent at his request (and liability waiver!) with Feather shavette, fresh blade, followed by DE.
Used a reclining office chair, altho a proper barber chair would have been far better.
For someone already adept at straight-shaving, it's not hard to work on someone else.
Not having to switch hands is a plus.
Just take time and do small strokes.
Do the hot towel thing as well.

I’ve shaved a few ladies legs, just because they asked, but never a fellas face.

I’m guessing the topography of a leg is easier than a face.
I shaved my wife's legs once just for fun using my r41 de. It was actually more difficult then I thought. I told her this is as scary as it gets. Still I am not allowed to get near her with a SR:)

I shaved my wife's legs once just for fun using my r41 de. It was actually more difficult then I thought. I told her this is as scary as it gets. Still I am not allowed to get near her with a SR:)
That’s why I started SR shaving. I was sick of my wife using my razor. The DE worked for a while but she soon figured it out. The SR seems to be be working at the moment. Sometimes I see her watching me shaving though. I can hear the voice in her head saying “How hard can it be? Looks easy.”

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
That’s why I started SR shaving. I was sick of my wife using my razor. The DE worked for a while but she soon figured it out. The SR seems to be be working at the moment. Sometimes I see her watching me shaving though. I can hear the voice in her head saying “How hard can it be? Looks easy enough.”
I gave my wife a vintage Gillette to use. She accidentally dropped it into the gap between the bathroom vanity and the shower, and then just left it there.

She’s not getting any of my straights.

Top Bottom