What's new

Is it bad to put a Gillette Slim in a stand that holds it by the plate?

So if you look at the way a Gillette slim works, the clicking knob just appears to be a screw that pushes up on a plate which has 4 "forks" that push up on the blade, adjusting blade exposure. When I set it in my stand, it holds it by where that plate is therefore pushing it upward. Is this harmful to the razor or the blade in any way, applying continuous pressure in this manner?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would not think so but there are members here that are better informed then I am. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge on the mechanics of a Slim can chime in. I only use my Slims for a week and then use something else. Mine sit in a black plastic stand the same way that yours probably does and I have never thought about this question. Once I use mine a place them in a hard plastic container and sit them away until later use.

R

romsitsa

Hello, it won't harm it, there is not enough weight to pull down the razor.
When in storage, don't use the "last quarter turn" as this puts the spring under tension, this could mess things up over the years.

Adam

When in storage, don't use the "last quarter turn" as this puts the spring under tension, this could mess things up over the years.

Adam

Interesting tip!
I never thought of that before.
Thanks!

I want to echo the comments above.

The Gillette Slim was made back in the 1960's. In the ensuing 60 years the razor has been probably mistreated and dropped by a variety of owners. It's still a marvelous razor and it's still going strong. Putting it "on the rack" would not be a problem for it. It's a strong champion!

I wouldn't think storing a dry Gillette Adjustable in an upright stand/hanger would hurt. However, best practice after use (wet) is to open the doors and stand the razor upright on them. This way any water you got in the barrel in use has a chance to drain out. This is the only way I'll let a GA air dry, even after I've hit it with a can of computer duster.

Adam
That's great advice, Adam.

My Dad told me something similar when he gave his Slim to me when I started shaving. He said to tighten it down, then back it off until I just felt the doors begin to open. That works out to be a 1/4 turn. I'm not sure if he learned that from experience or if it was in the instructions from Gillette.

That's great advice, Adam.

My Dad told me something similar when he gave his Slim to me when I started shaving. He said to tighten it down, then back it off until I just felt the doors begin to open. That works out to be a 1/4 turn. I'm not sure if he learned that from experience or if it was in the instructions from Gillette.
Brother Demolition,

Just remember to retighten it the next time you pick up the razor to shave if it has a loaded blade, or you may have a facial disaster!

Brother Demolition,

Just remember to retighten it the next time you pick up the razor to shave if it has a loaded blade, or you may have a facial disaster!
Thanks for the reminder, Steve! I actually did this many years ago. Luckily, I didn't get cut.

Since then, I've always taken the blades out and left my razors unloaded. Partly for safety, but mostly so I can inspect the blade before I put it back into the razor.

This is good advice for the cautious, but the extra tension is probably not going to hurt it anyway.

When I bought my Fatboy, it looked like it had been in storage for a very long time.

It had been stored tensioned, probably for decades, and needed to have a soak to loosen it up. But the spring was just fine once I got it moving. I’ve had no problems since.

So if you look at the way a Gillette slim works, the clicking knob just appears to be a screw that pushes up on a plate which has 4 "forks" that push up on the blade, adjusting blade exposure. When I set it in my stand, it holds it by where that plate is therefore pushing it upward. Is this harmful to the razor or the blade in any way, applying continuous pressure in this manner?
Short answer, nope.

Won't hurt it a bit.

Brother Demolition,

I did that very thing once (ONCE!!). Part way through the first pass I thought, Man, this is aggressive, what do I have it set on? Turns out I didn't turn it that last 1/4. No blood, but too much excitement for the morning!

Top Bottom