What's new

Is it advisable to bowl-lather cream with a boar?

I own an Omega boar brush and I love it. I have been mug-lathering arko, but I have been thinking of moving to using cream and a shaving bowl. I have heard that boars are good with soaps and tend to eat lather. Just wondering if anybody has had good results bowl-lathering with a boar and cream. BTW I am probably gonna buy Omega cream, as it seems cheap but good.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I own an Omega boar brush and I love it. I have been mug-lathering arko, but I have been thinking of moving to using cream and a shaving bowl. I have heard that boars are good with soaps and tend to eat lather. Just wondering if anybody has had good results bowl-lathering with a boar and cream. BTW I am probably gonna buy Omega cream, as it seems cheap but good.
Boar brushes work just fine with creams, bowl or face. Omegas are great brushes btw.

Omega 49 knot on a Razorock 400 handle lathers beautifully the Musgo Real cream. IMG_20191229_123309_848.jpg
Cheers

A boar will work fine bowl lathering a cream. By "eat lather" I'm not sure if you mean they don't like to release the lather or that they eat the soap faster. I don't think either one is necessarily true though. I squeeze the lather out of my brush for my final pass so it doesn't matter to me much if a brush doesn't release lather super easily, but my boars don't really seem to have a problem with not releasing most of their lather. If you meant they eat the soap faster, I think it's more related to the size of the brush. Big brushes use more soap.

There are no rules - try out bowl vs mug and use whichever technique you prefer.

I have Grandpa's old Ever-Ready Boar brush (over 100 years old) and load it up from a puck or tin, then build lather in a bowl. Of course, I get the same excellent results with my Badgers & Synthetics, too.

A cream usually has similar ingredients to a soap, just a larger percentage of water. This makes a cream easier to lather whatever type of brush is used.

Boar brushes perform best when they have been thorougly broken-in so the bristle tips split and bloom. Soaking the brrush for 5-10 minutes before lathering helps because the bristles won't absorb any water from your lather if they are already saturated. For your last pass, squeeze the lather from the brush and apply the lather to your face by hand. You'll use most of the lather and the brush will be easier to rinse out.

Yes, boar brushes will work with cream and a bowl. Enjoy your awesome lather!

As for boar brushes being lather hogs, that's not to do with cream or soap, that's to do with lather, which you get from either ;)

If I compare synthetic to boar (omega not fully broken in); by using the exact amount of cream be it bowl/cup/subirachi or straight face/head; I get 3 passes and left over w synthetic and w boar I get 1.5 passes and have to finish w something else or double the amount of cream used first.

I find that Boar brushes seem to 'hog' the lather a bit, compared to an equivalent sized synthetic. My Omega Pro-49 wasn't too bad, although I used the handle to mount a 30 mm Tuxedo, but I don't get anywhere near the amount of lather with the Semogue, and find I need to bowl lather the Semogue. (And the Semogue was more than twice the price of the Pro-49).

Personally, I feel the synthetics lather so much better than any Boar or Badger brush. Admittedly, I've only owned one or two Badgers, but that's my belief. All I know is a face lather with any of my synthetics holds more lather than needed for 3 passes, but the natural hair brushes usually need to revisit the puck, when face lathering.

I find that synths get lather where it needs to be quicker than badgers and use less soap in doing so; I don't find any real difference in the finished product.

It's a shame mine all drip/fling water everywhere, and feel worse on my face than a good badger or boar, because besides being quick and easy they're cheap and cheerful and dry quickly and essentially never shed.

On the subject of the OP's question though, the boar will lather creams fine but the Shave Police will come and arrest you for doing so. The same detachment that will come after you if you (also successfully) lather a triple-milled soap with a sloppy silvertip badger, or face-lather a stick with a synth.

I used my boars for soap and creams. No issues with using a cream and boar brush in bowl lathering.
I have GFT Spanish leather, TOBS Avocado, Arko and Derby shaving creams.

The only brush that tends to hold on to lather for me are my badger brushes.

Top Bottom