What's new

Is it advisable to bowl-lather cream with a boar?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I alternate between synthetics, badger, horse, boar and I did not notice any issues.

Whatever type of soap or cream you use, I find the best type of brush to use is a wet one.

You don't need to know what I am posting from.

The only factor I've found that effects the ease or difficulty in bowl lathering is the loft. The higher the better but I can bowl lather with anything even my shortest lofts.

You don't need a bowl. Any good boar, badger, or synthetic will lather a cream on your face just fine if you don't mind doing it that way. Denser boars with lots of split tips are ideal for me.

I find it really hard to face lather creams with boars. The boar eats up a lot of the lather and I have to use twice the amount of cream to get a working 3 pass shave. I much prefer boars with croaps or harder soaps.

I find it really hard to face lather creams with boars. The boar eats up a lot of the lather and I have to use twice the amount of cream to get a working 3 pass shave. I much prefer boars with croaps or harder soaps.
Are you soaking the boar brush for at least 10 minutes? I don't get the "lather eating" with mine and face lathering is fine. I always leave some water in the boar brush, then it won't try to absorb more.

Are you soaking the boar brush for at least 10 minutes? I don't get the "lather eating" with mine and face lathering is fine. I always leave some water in the boar brush, then it won't try to absorb more.
Yup. It's usually 10 minutes or more. I start with a damp but not dripping brush. I've probably tried 20-30+ times but boars or badgers do not work well with creams. Synthetics on the other hand, work wonderfully. I'm guessing it's the natural hairs vs synthetics thing.

Yup. It's usually 10 minutes or more. I start with a damp but not dripping brush. I've probably tried 20-30+ times but boars or badgers do not work well with creams. Synthetics on the other hand, work wonderfully. I'm guessing it's the natural hairs vs synthetics thing.

i have the same problem you do with boar brushes. My badger brushes have no problem whatsoever.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My boar works beautifully. Better than the badger. I’ve not had good luck with synts. Actually do not like them at all

Every brush type works well with creams for me. I spread the cream on my face and work it with a wet brush to get a lot of water mixed in at the start. It starts runny but thickens quick.

If you start with a damp brush with little water, the cream works up into the bristles and needs to be worked back out again.

Just add water and stir.

Top Bottom