What's new

Is it a Sushi? A sausage? Now that's fusion!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I've been experimenting with a lot of recipes lately that I would judge to be "out of the box". Well, at least for me...

I don't cook a lot of Asian food to start with. I mainly cook Mexican and Italian. Since I turned Paleo, those are fairly difficult and regardless of the cuisine, I always need to adapt the recipe so it's Paleo. But that's okay.

I saw a Youtube short video the other week and had to do it. The original recipe had corn in it with minced chicken. What I had was pork, garlic, green onions, and carrots.

I used a full Nori sheet for the first one and realized that if I cut it in half, it works well too.

When the above meat mixture(raw) is... mixed... Simply put some in the Nori, roll, seal the Nori like sushi with a bit of water and pan-fry them for maybe 10 mins, flipping them here and there.

End result was kid-approved and it only took me around 30 mins from start to finish. I ate those with a side of salad.
IMG_1276.JPG

I use to wrap asparagus with Shabu Shabu beef. Basically very thin sliced beef available at Japanese markets. Then cook in a pan and finish with teriyaki or ponzu sauce. Then sliced like a sushi roll so you could see the asparagus in the center.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It sort of depends on what you did with the pork. Casing isn't what defines "sausage." In fact, there is plenty of sausage that's not in a casing. What makes sausage is adding enough salt (additional goodies also are nice, too) to minced/ground meat.

Reactions: Luc
I have always enjoyed the thought and look of sushi, but I don't like Seaweed and one member of our family has a Fish allergy.

In comes....Oshizushi (pressed sushi). I made a press out of an old cutting board and bam. Chicken, Pork, pressed sushi.

I free formed (no plans) the press based on Amazon pics and dimensions. They can be purchased, but I prefer handmade.

Lots of YT videos on different assembly creations. It's a Friday night thing for us now every few weeks. We have done Chicken Thighs and Back Bacon so far.

IMG_20211106_120000_01.jpg

IMG_20211105_184217_01.jpg

PXL_20211106_000220689.jpg

PXL_20211106_165138401.jpg

PXL_20211008_233834112.jpg

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have always enjoyed the thought and look of sushi, but I don't like Seaweed and one member of our family has a Fish allergy.

In comes....Oshizushi (pressed sushi). I made a press out of an old cutting board and bam. Chicken, Pork, pressed sushi.

I free formed (no plans) the press based on Amazon pics and dimensions. They can be purchased, but I prefer handmade.

Lots of YT videos on different assembly creations. It's a Friday night thing for us now every few weeks. We have done Chicken Thighs and Back Bacon so far.

View attachment 1364191

View attachment 1364188

View attachment 1364189

View attachment 1364190

View attachment 1364194
Neat idea! I've started reintroducing rice since I went Paleo. Works well, I might need to build one of those as I doubt cauliflower rice will hold!

Top Bottom