What's new

Is It A Safe Bet That If Still Have Thick Hair At 45, You Probably Won't Go Bald?

Greetings,

So I was just curious - since I still have a very thick head of hair at 45 years old, is it probably a safe bet that I will always have my hair? If I was going to go bald, wouldn't I already be starting the process at this age.

My hair has gone gray though ala George Clooney, but thick as can be. I am sure as I age - it might thin out a bit, but I never really seen someone that had thick hair in their mid to late 40's and was bald or really thinning in their 50's. I am sure it has happened though.

Has anyone here lost their hair later in life - of course not due any unfortunate health reasons, even though you had a full head of head in your 40's?

And yes, my grandfather on my mother's side didn't lose his hair.

Thanks!

I started losing mine at 45. Good news is with age it doesn't bother me. What i have is also thick and gray, so I wear it tight and carry on.

I started losing mine at 45. Good news is with age it doesn't bother me. What i have is also thick and gray, so I wear it tight and carry on.

Thanks for being a killjoy! :)

Do you mean you are going bald or it is just thinning out a bit, but you still have a full head of hair. You are not becoming George Costanza.

I found my 1st grey hair above my right ear when I was 19, I've been steadily going grey ever since.
Now at 46 it's almost completely grey at the sides, and dark brown with only a few flecks of grey everywhere else.
I have my hair cut very short, but it grows back very quickly and has always been thick and heavy for as long as I can remember.
I'm receding very slightly, but it just makes the widow's peak a bit more obvious - otherwise I've still got a full head of hair.
My Dad is 84, his hair has been completely grey for about 20 years, he's going a bit thin on top, but far from bald.
When he was my age, his hair was jet black, but streaked with grey and thinning around the crown.
From what I remember of my Grandad, his hair lost it's colour and thinned out when he was over 80

It looks like greying and thinning runs in my family - but baldness doesn't !!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My colleague Bobby McCombover had a full, lush head of hair at 45. By 50, he was auditioning for Mr. Clean commercials.

As for me, I recently developed my first grey hair. My wife won't let me remove it, as she says it makes me look distinguished.

Let's be honest, hair is overrated. Women are attracted to men for the following reasons:

1. Handsome face

2. Slender or muscular body

3. Nice personality

4. Money

Hair doesn't really factor into it. If you start to lose your hair, cut it real short and it won't be noticeable. If your face looks good, you'll always have women. My hair looks terrible and I've always had women throwing themselves at me. I look like Williy Wonka and they still love me.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, hair is overrated. Women are attracted to men for the following reasons:

1. Handsome face

2. Slender or muscular body

3. Nice personality

4. Money

Hair doesn't really factor into it. If you start to lose your hair, cut it real short and it won't be noticeable. If your face looks good, you'll always have women. My hair looks terrible and I've always had women throwing themselves at me. I look like Williy Wonka and they still love me.

There are countless bald men that would tell you that you are wrong. Not to mention the billions of dollars spent every year on products and services to thicken hair, regrow hair or cover up a bald head. For millions of men, losing their hair has killed their confidence and they have experienced rejection from women because they are bald.

I mean sure, if you look like Dwayne The Rock Johnson, Bruce Willis or Jason Statham - you won't have a problem, but we are talking about millions of guys like are not so unlike George Costanza in the looks department.

$George-costanza.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 62 and still have a full head of hair. Its graying just a little bit on the temples, but aside from that, its still dark brown like its always been. I get it cut and styled about every 3 months, and generally don't use any kind of gel or mousse or other products in between.

My father and my brother both have male pattern baldness. My maternal grandfather still had a full head of white hair up until he passed away at age 85.

I think you're safe to assume that your hair will stay the way it is for the rest of your life. Most guys that do go bald tend to start doing so long before they get to their 40s.

11 years ago I was 45. My hair is still as thick now as it was then. It's grayer, but I blame that on getting married.

I still have a tough time finding a barber who can cut my mop. It's pretty thick, and layering it takes some skill. I hang on to a barber who can do my hair.

Don

P.S.- I advise people to never bet on anything.

I still have a tough time finding a barber who can cut my mop. It's pretty thick, and layering it takes some skill. I hang on to a barber who can do my hair.
+1 ... good barbers are hard to find, and when you get one, don't let them go.

I've been going to the same salon off and on for 10 years now. I've had a variety of barbers in that time, but for the last year or so, I found a really great one. So I always try and schedule my appointments for when she's on duty.

I pay $32+tip for a haircut. My friends all laugh when they hear how much I spend, but they have no idea how good a haircut can be.

I've been recommending this place to my friends for years, but I have yet to have anyone try it. Once they hear how much it costs, they are immediately scared off, and they try and get me to go to their place where they get a $10 cut. NO THANKS. I've had plenty of $10 haircuts in my time, and there's not a single one of them that I'd want to go back to a second time.

Even the $20 cuts at Hair Cuttery aren't that much better. Its always hit or miss as far as the results go, usually miss.

For $32, I know I'm getting a great service. Every single time.

Looks have nothing to do with hair. If you're face is't attractive, then you can have hair down to your back and you'll have a harder time attracting the opposite sex. Further, if you're fat, you're going to have way, way more problems getting women interested in you. If you're rich or you simply have a really good job that pays well over $100K per year, then that makes it a lot easier to get women. It doesn't matter if you're bald. The cash will get you the women.

For you balding gents, 'Don't let your trips get too you," as Jerry Garcia once said. You being bald won't be the show stopper unless you've got a lot of other strikes against you like being fat, unattractive, and with a job that doesn't let you live comfortably. However, even if you're missing on all the desirable categories, you can still get a nice woman. She might not he all that attractive, but you can someone. Obviously, it will be very, very hard to rifle through women like a guy that has things for them like looks, nice body and a great job, but life isn't about getting as many women as possible. Believe me, it's too time consuming and it's a headache dealing with these demanding females.

Understand that male pattern baldness is a completely different thing from a receding hairline or thinning hair.

If you haven't started showing male pattern baldness by 45 then you're completely safe *FROM MALE PATTERN BALDNESS.*

Everything else? Good luck. Your grandfather's record is a good indicator, but not a guarantee.

Looks have nothing to do with hair. If you're face is't attractive, then you can have hair down to your back and you'll have a harder time attracting the opposite sex. Further, if you're fat, you're going to have way, way more problems getting women interested in you. If you're rich or you simply have a really good job that pays well over $100K per year, then that makes it a lot easier to get women. It doesn't matter if you're bald. The cash will get you the women.

For you balding gents, 'Don't let your trips get too you," as Jerry Garcia once said. You being bald won't be the show stopper unless you've got a lot of other strikes against you like being fat, unattractive, and with a job that doesn't let you live comfortably. However, even if you're missing on all the desirable categories, you can still get a nice woman. She might not he all that attractive, but you can someone. Obviously, it will be very, very hard to rifle through women like a guy that has things for them like looks, nice body and a great job, but life isn't about getting as many women as possible. Believe me, it's too time consuming and it's a headache dealing with these demanding females.

Well good thing people tell me that I am very attractive in addition to having hair. I wouldn't want to be with a woman, who just wants me for my money.

The bottom line is this - you can have two guys with the same exact qualities - funny, good looks, money, whatever else - but one of them is losing their hair and ultimately going bald. She is picking the guy with the glorious hair.

Hell even in a job interview scenario where both candidates are evenly matched, 9 times out of 10, they are picking the good looking smart guy with hair for clients to see when they come to the office.

Understand that male pattern baldness is a completely different thing from a receding hairline or thinning hair.

If you haven't started showing male pattern baldness by 45 then you're completely safe *FROM MALE PATTERN BALDNESS.*

Everything else? Good luck. Your grandfather's record is a good indicator, but not a guarantee.

Good point - I didn't consider the difference of simply losing your hair vs. male pattern baldness.

Top Bottom