What's new

Is it a bargain?

Just new to me today form a certain auction site is a 6/8 Kavall. I took a chance and bagged it for £10.50 thinking "Oh well, if it's no good I've not lost much". It arrived while I was at the shops this morning so it is a nice little xmas pressie!

There is very little info out there on these razors (actually, none). As above, its a 6/8 blade 75mm in length. It has an unusual fluted spine (a deep groove running the length). The 'show' side has Kavall Rgd stamped in the tang and the other side has German Ground and forged stamped in. The blade is very finely finished.

The scales are what appears to be black plastic with a white wedge and have 3 pins.

There is no visible hone wear on this one and only very minor rust with none on the blade at all. It's mostly limited to tiny bits on the spine which have cleaned off nicely and some on the tang at the pin and small spot on the tip of the tail (now cleaned and polished). I am not going to remove the scales as I don't think it's worth it - leave good alone, as my old dad used to say. All in, it only took me about 1/2 an hour of cleaning/polishing to get ready to hone. It comes in a box with art deco sort of embossing and just an embossed K on it.

I'm guessing 1950's manufacture, but could be earlier/later. Any info would be greatly appreciated but I won't hold my breath... Sorry, unable to post pics at present.

It is capable of shaving arm hair smoothly as is so should be a breeze to get shave ready. All in all I think I'm just a little bit chuffed!

Sounds good to me!

Photos of before and after? 😀
09761D97-E385-42A1-8125-8BE96E05E771.jpeg

Absolutely a bargain. Same one as this?

Yeah, same one. It took minimal time to get an edge passing HHT and tree topping tests. I'm ready to give it a go now. I'll try to get pics up ASAP...

Top Bottom