What's new

Is Haslinger the first true contender for Tabac?

Stubborn by nature, once I have made up my mind about something, it takes a lot to change it.

I have been "real" shaving for about two years and one of the first shaving soaps I tried was Tabac. It worked well, but I was not overly impressed because I had nothing to compare it to.

It's only after trying some of the other popular brands that I realised it was something special, and nothing really came close to the performance of Tabac. I love the smell, but I do understand that it may be the main reason why there is any debate about whether Tabac is the best mass-produced shaving soap. I was convinced that I would not find anything that rivals it's performance, but I was getting a bit bored shaving with the same soap month after month.

About two weeks ago, I ordered Taylor of Old Bond Street and Haslinger Sandalwood to mix things up a bit.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed when I opened the parcel and what I thought was a sample turned out to be the Haslinger puck! The way I like to lather is to stick a puck in a shaving mug, soak my brush, shake off excess water, load my brush and face lather adjusting the water by dipping my brush if required.

Initial impressions were good, not much of a scent, easy to lather, good slickness and nice after shave feel. I have learned that a single shave is not a good way to give a fair opinion so I have used it the past week on a daily basis. It just keeps on getting better! I don't bloom, I use a damp brush to load straight of the dry puck and then start the face lather. This stuff just explodes into luxurious, rich, stable lather.

Tried it with my straight razors, and my Fatib Piccolo, both gave amazing results.

From a price point, it's almost double the price of Tabac, considering it's half the size of a replacement Tabac puck.

Am I prepared to say it's performance is actually better than Tabac?

Not yet, like I say, it's not easy to change my mind, but maybe later. All I am prepared to say at this point, is that it at least pushed Cella down from second position to third on my list.

Fine uses the same formula as Tabac and has a variety of scents. Other than the scent, I find no difference in the performance of Fine and Tabac. Unfortunately, retailers are no longer selling the refill puck and you must purchase the more expensive soap-in-a-bowl. However, NOS of the refill puck is still available on the bay and elsewhere.

Tabac is a fantastic lathering soap, but there are so many good ones these days, it's hard to know where to begin. Haslinger, of course. Just to name two others, I would say Speick stick and Wilkinson Sword stick, milled down and put into a bowl are quite similar.

When I got away from the drug store limited selection in 2012, I ordered from Shavemac, getting several Haslingers, Tobac and Proraso. None have disappointed me.

Personally, with my sniffer, none impress with fragrance, except maybe Proraso. I can control the consistency of Proraso better and therefore I feel it outperforms with straights.

As far as Haslinger vs Tobac, I give the edge to Haslinger as being easier to get a proper consistency yet being creamy. But that is a fairly insignificant edge. Tobac has a cologne which I think makes for a better complete shave. I can smell it.

Caveat: my Haslingers are all old formula tallow based. Others say the non tallow formula is as good, but I cannot yet testify to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same experience with Haslinger coconut as the original poster. Only four soaps that I can recall have behaved the same way: Tabac, vintage old spice, art of shaving tallow, and Haslinger. There is just a different feel when you put some water on the puck and run your fingers across it. You know it will be slick, dense, and protective. I would pick Haslinger over Tabac, even though I got 4 months out of a puck of Tabac. I will continue to use essential oil to supplement Haslinger lathers. The scent fades quickly.

Last edited:
Tobac has a cologne which I think makes for a better complete shave. I can smell it.
I agree, performance-wise the two are similar, but I love the smell of Tabac, and can't really smell much, if any, of the Haslinger.

As far as Prorasso goes, I have tried all three in the tubs and liked it, but I have two tubes of the green and struggle to get it right. It lathers well, but seems to dry on my face, and become a flaky consistency before I finish my Straight razor pass. I tried more water, more soap, and it's better, but still not perfect.

As far as Prorasso goes, I have tried all three in the tubs and liked it, but I have two tubes of the green and struggle to get it right. It lathers well, but seems to dry on my face, and become a flaky consistency before I finish my Straight razor pass. I tried more water, more soap, and it's better, but still not perfect.

When I read dissimilar experiences like this, it makes me wonder whether the water itself is a huge factor. I’m in metro Atlanta, GA. USA, where the water is really soft. So soft that I couldn’t sell much deliming product when I was in institutional chemical sales.

I went to descale a humidifier this week and it didn’t really need it after a full winter’s workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haslinger is an excellent soap and a great value. I really get a lot of shaves off that little puck. That said, I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like the new vegan formula as much as the older tallow version. It's still a great soap, but it doesn't really separate itself from other good vegan soaps to me such as MdC, Nuavia, SV, Cade, or Soap Commander for that matter, but cost per shave is excellent.

The older tallow version I liked as much or more than Tabac, the new version, just below Tabac to me. I really hated to see a really great formula change but I know there are pressures to go vegan in the EU.

You might take a look at Valobra hard pucks, since Fine is more expensive. Great lather as I recall.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Haslinger is an excellent soap and a great value. I really get a lot of shaves off that little puck. That said, I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like the new vegan formula as much as the older tallow version. It's still a great soap, but it doesn't really separate itself from other good vegan soaps to me such as MdC, Nuavia, SV, Cade, or Soap Commander for that matter, but cost per shave is excellent.

The older tallow version I liked as much or more than Tabac, the new version, just below Tabac to me. I really hated to see a really great formula change but I know there are pressures to go vegan in the EU.
There are no pressures to go vegan in the EU at all, where do people get these bizarre conspiracy theories. Haslinger has always been a company that markets itself as 'natural, sustainable' etc and recently decides they were now capable of making an animal product free soap.

In fact, is there any tallow based commercial soap that ISN'T made in the EU? All the soaps that have have sustained the discussion on these forums for a decade (Tabac, MWF, Cella, countless tallow sticks like Speick, Palmolive, Wilkisnson sword) are ALL made in the EU.

There's no vegan conspiracy.

Sorry, living in Germany there is no „pressure to go vegan“ on this side of the ocean, none at all. Vegan lifestyle gets more popular here and there - obviously, there’s a chance for companies to sell products to more customers when a vegan option is for sale. Nothing more, nothing less.

I got a Haslinger as a gift and love it. Must check if it is vegan or not.

mycroft

Some think this pressure comes from a trend, but it does not!
It has more to do with taxes and regulations.

To me the performance of Tabac and Haslinger pretty much is the same. They are both great soaps with a very good value for the money.

Haslinger is great, of course. I think I've collected seven varieties just to try them all. They all perform about the same, but I believe the Schafmilch has superior skin care properties. The scents are nothing special (reminds me of skin lotion) but at least they do not linger.

Wilkinson Sword stick (not the UFO-shaped bowl) is made in Germany and has tallow and lanolin. I think I paid $2.50 each for a pair of these 50g sticks from a vendor in the UK. These electric-blue sticks smell like mild bath soap but perform fantastically. Of course, no one will be impressed by a soap you can buy at the corner drugstore.

Speick sticks perform as well as Tabac but I much prefer the Speick scent. Cost is $3.50-5.00 per 50g in Europe (BTW don't miss the Speick aftershave, it is one of the best out there).

Don't like soap sticks? You can slice these up into thin coin-shaped slices and layer them in a bowl, then use them in the usual way. These are both hard soaps that will last for months.

Top Bottom