What's new

Is Haslinger the first true contender for Tabac?

Haslingers is top notch can't say a thing bad about it. Picked up 8 pucks of tallow when it was still the thing along with a brush from shavemac a while ago. 5 pucks are out in the garage, Tabac is in the house.

I keep mine stored maximum distance from the brushes just to be sure it doesn’t lather itself overnight.

...In the process I have also learned how easy it is to acquire more than you need, which is ok for bits of metal with no expiration dates, but soaps are different. I don't think it will be wise to keep soaps for longer than a few years, and a used puck will have no re-sale value...

An old joke tells the story of a Scottish poet who exclaimed to the woman he was with what a fine, beautiful day it was. To which the woman replied "We'll pay for it, we'll pay for it." :biggrin:

I understand the desire not to accumulate excess or create waste. So, I think it is a good idea to set an upper limit and force yourself to use up something before getting something new. Whether that limit is five, or seven, or eleven is up to you.

Hard soaps have almost an indefinite lifetime. There are people around here shaving with vintage Williams soap that is more than twenty years old. Creams and soft soaps do expire, though.

I think variety adds a bit of enjoyment to shaving. It also allows you to discover new things. So, it's a good thing if not carried too far.

We'll pay for it, we'll pay for it
We always do!:(
When its a nice day in Scotland there are few places more beautiful. Problem is they don't happen on a regular basis. Didn't have a great summer this year and now it's winter. Not extreme weather, just depressing and miserable. Wet, windy, cold and dark.
At least we have the best whisky to keep us warm.

When its a nice day in Scotland there are few places more beautiful. Problem is they don't happen on a regular basis. Didn't have a great summer this year and now it's winter. Not extreme weather, just depressing and miserable. Wet, windy, cold and dark.

A lot like Seattle, except we don’t have the whisky!

Yes! A Glencairn of Laphroaig or Ardbeg is always a pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m currently using Haslinger Sheep’s Milk exclusively in November and I’m just not that enamored with it. After Tabactober, I definitely do not feel it is on the same level as Tabac in terms of overall performance.

I’ll have to see if I can really dial it in, which is what happened with Tabac so my opinion is still forming. I’ve been face lathering so far, but will try bowl lathering for the second half of the month.

I discovered with Tabac that I prefer to bowl lather unlike most of my other soaps so maybe Haslinger will be the same.

I’m currently using Haslinger Sheep’s Milk exclusively in November and I’m just not that enamored with it. After Tabactober, I definitely do not feel it is on the same level as Tabac in terms of overall performance.

I’ll have to see if I can really dial it in, which is what happened with Tabac so my opinion is still forming...
Try more water with the Haslinger. It gets slicker up to a point. It takes more water than most. Sometimes, people overload on Haslinger, it loads quick. So, it needs some experimentation.

Try more water with the Haslinger. It gets slicker up to a point. It takes more water than most. Sometimes, people overload on Haslinger, it loads quick. So, it needs some experimentation.

Thank you for the advice, I will try that next time.

On a series note: Learning to shave with a straight razor is not a single skill, rather a set of skills to master. Because of all the variables, I made the conscious decision to limit myself to a single shaving soap to test results, so after trying a few I stuck to Tabac. I have now reached the point where my shaving technique, honing, finishing, stropping and maintenance produce reliable results.

In the process I have also learned how easy it is to acquire more than you need, which is ok for bits of metal with no expiration dates, but soaps are different. I don't think it will be wise to keep soaps for longer than a few years, and a used puck will have no re-sale value.

Have you checked eBay? Old soaps and toiletries can go for alot, as they don't necessarily become unusable, despite their age. And some people like to collect them even if they won't be used for their intended purpose (movie props, bric-a-brac etc.).

You just have to know the product. A soap like Williams could be usable decades from now with a bit of washing off, but something like Proraso might not be, since it's a soft soap with a formaldehyde releaser preservative. It might become skin sensitizing.

I've stored shave cream in a fridge for the better part of a decade and it holds up fairly well, the scent doesn't even change that much.

I just prepared my favorite winter soap. 2 pucks of tallow Schafmilch grated into a good sized container.

I do the same with SV refill pucks. Makes it so easy to lather.

IMG_4808.jpg

proxy.php

I continue to use Haslinger Sheep's Milk exclusively this month for No Beard November and I'm definitely dialing it in. I have discovered that I simply do not enjoy face lathering with badger brushes, and prefer synthetic and boar hair for face lathering. I switched to bowl lathering and with a badger I can get some great lather, much better than when I face lather with a badger brush.

Haslinger is a great soap no doubt, my opinion continues to improve and would agree that it's close in performance to Tabac, but still not quite as slick. I haven't tried the tallow version though so can't speak to the performance of that recipe.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have tried many of the highly rated soaps and creams and all seemed equally good in actual performance with slight and various qualities. I picked up an anniversary can of Barbasol at the grocery one day just to have the can. Out of curiosity, I used it and have begun using it regularly. As far as the shave results go, it performs just as well as the big dogs and I don’t even have to bother whipping up a lather. I know it is soap heresy but that is my experience.

I have tried many of the highly rated soaps and creams and all seemed equally good in actual performance with slight and various qualities. I picked up an anniversary can of Barbasol at the grocery one day just to have the can. Out of curiosity, I used it and have begun using it regularly. As far as the shave results go, it performs just as well as the big dogs and I don’t even have to bother whipping up a lather. I know it is soap heresy but that is my experience.

I bought some Barbasol for traveling and again I can’t get excited. It’s to dry for me and I have to use my fingers to apply. That’s too messy for my OCD. How do you get it moist enough?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I bought some Barbasol for traveling and again I can’t get excited. It’s to dry for me and I have to use my fingers to apply. That’s too messy for my OCD. How do you get it moist enough?

I wet my face really well and put it on rather thinly. I prefer a wet lather and this seems to work well. I just do not use a lot of foam. I suppose I’m becoming a minimalist. Just getting my shaving as simple as possible.

Top Bottom