What's new

Is Gillette Gillette?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Gillette has certainly changed over the years and I do not purchase their current products or those of P&G. I ask myself - is there any brand, of any product, anywhere in the world, that has been in existence for decades or more, whose products are as good or better than those they used to make? Be it Barbour jackets, Hunter wellingtons, Dualit toasters, Kitchenaid mixers, Dr.Marten boots, Dyson appliances, Levi jeans, food items, toiletries, drinks, confectionery, Hollywood movies, tools, electronics, the list goes on...... I say "NO" - they are not as good. With some exceptions, the relentless pursuit of ever increasing profit year after year has ruined most brands I once enjoyed through cheaper materials and even cheaper labour, with little care for the reputation of the brand, or for the customer. Or, maybe I am just getting old 😁

Gillette has certainly changed over the years and I do not purchase their current products or those of P&G. I ask myself - is there any brand, of any product, anywhere in the world, that has been in existence for decades or more, whose products are as good or better than those they used to make? Be it Barbour jackets, Hunter wellingtons, Dualit toasters, Kitchenaid mixers, Dr.Marten boots, Dyson appliances, Levi jeans, food items, toiletries, drinks, confectionery, Hollywood movies, tools, electronics, the list goes on...... I say "NO" - they are not as good. With some exceptions, the relentless pursuit of ever increasing profit year after year has ruined most brands I once enjoyed through cheaper materials and even cheaper labour, with little care for the reputation of the brand, or for the customer. Or, maybe I am just getting old 😁
I would mostly concur in my own grumpy old man voice but there are a couple of things that got better over the last 40-50 years.

Mechanical watches
Cars (especially those nowadays produced in the UK)
every handheld electronic device that makes live nowadays so convenient (if used as a tool and not your center of being)

Btw the Chinese Super Blue is a very capable and typical Tech at a price point that would make old King C. Gillette smile.

If you’re going to pay $50usd or so for a zamack razor because it’s not owned by PG&E, why not pay $55usd for an all steel razor like a RazoRock Game Changer 0.68P?
This! Or I'd get them each a vintage Gillette Tech or Super Speed in good condition - they're fairly mild and make great beginner razors.

Van Der Weishi is also a decent and rather inexpensive beginner option if you don't mind buying Chinese. Recently bought the Weishi 9306-I (short handle, bronze color plating) and I think it looks awesome.

My understanding is that the razor head is a copy of the EJ DE89.
It looks similar, but it's different, KCG is a bit milder than EJDE89,they both shave differently. I have both of them.
Also Gilette would just copy other designs.

To answer the question is King Gilette Gilette, yes it is, it's just a marketing thing, they want a piece of rising DE consumers without hurting money making cartrige razors. They also say that KCG DE is for making lines on beard easier and not for shaving, they offer KCG cart for shaving.

I would also suggest the 34c merkur I have used it daily for 9 years with a great experience, not to say there are not other options, but to keep it simple that is an excellent choice with a proven track record.

A revamped/replated vintage Gillette doesn't put any money in the Gillette company's pocket and seems like something a young man new to shaving might treasure as a gift from dear old Dad for the rest of his life.

Especially if you get one that is replated in rhodium. That should pretty much last forever.

And, I don't think any of the modern stuff is any better. Also, I have a handful of vintage Gillettes, including twist-to-opens and 3-piece. I prefer the really old 3-piece ones (specifically, open comb) over any of the newer types. So, bonus that they are also less expensive.

Top Bottom