What's new

Is Gillette finally feeling the pain??

I saw a Gillette Fusion commercial on TV yesterday indicating that a Fusion cart can last up to 5 weeks based on some guy travelling around the world and using only one cart the entire trip. Is this their way of trying to address the cost or value of their carts? I could get 2 weeks from one when I used them in the Dark Ages, but this seemed an odd change of direction for Gillette.

If this has already been addressed, my apologies. I assume it's a relatively new ad campaign.

Cheers!

When I was using Fusion cartridges, two weeks would push it for me. After about a week my shave wasn't as smooth, tugging would be a major part of my shave and I'd wind up with tons of micro cuts that would turn into zits or other irritation. If I wanted a consistent DFS I had to change blades every seven days. Costly!

I doubt Gillette is feeling any pain. I could never go more than a week with a cart no matter what type of razor/blade it was. I think Gillette is trying to justify the RIDICULOUS prices of their cartridges. They are probably realizing that adding more blades at this point isn't going to sway anyone and want/need to justify the crazy price they continue to charge for the carts. Honestly I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the R&D department. I just can't imagine what direction is next for them but honestly I do not feel adding MORE blades is a smart move IMHO.

I doubt Gillette is feeling any pain. I could never go more than a week with a cart no matter what type of razor/blade it was. I think Gillette is trying to justify the RIDICULOUS prices of their cartridges. They are probably realizing that adding more blades at this point isn't going to sway anyone and want/need to justify the crazy price they continue to charge for the carts. Honestly I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the R&D department. I just can't imagine what direction is next for them but honestly I do not feel adding MORE blades is a smart move IMHO.

...everybody knows more is always better...more money, more bacon, more beer, more vintage gillettes...MOAR@!!!!!!!!!...

I saw that ad yesterday and also found it curious. I'm sure that market research has informed Gillette that consumers are none-too-happy with the lack of value inherent in their stupid expensive cartridges. I'm sure I'm wrong, but I almost thought that the five weeks claim was implied by using the term "razor" instead of "cartridge", but since advertising is always on the up and up I'm sure I misunderstood. The last shot of the commercial I believe highlighted the branded handle of the razor, not the cart itself. I'll have to check it more carefully next time it passes...

On a related note, I've never spent more money on a hobby so quickly as I have with traditional shaving!:yikes::yikes: Woohoooo!

I remember an old Saturday Night Live spoof after the Mach 3 came out. They illustrated the absurdity of going to 4 and 5 blades. Now, as the movie Idiocracy has proven, absurdity is the new normal...

Cheers

I remember an old Saturday Night Live spoof after the Mach 3 came out. They illustrated the absurdity of going to 4 and 5 blades. Now, as the movie Idiocracy has proven, absurdity is the new normal...

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just marketing. The thing about the Fusion is that even though it is that expensive, it is still the best cartridge out there. I sucked it up and paid for it because the alternative is the plastic Bic carts that did nothing for me. People will continue to pay for them because it's convenient, marketed well, and better than its direct competitors. Plus, the mark-up on those blades has to be astronomical. While Gillette saw a loss of profits during the recession, I'm willing to bet they still made money.

The fact of the matter is Gillette is King in the world of shaving, and while we've sought refugee from their kingdom, the masses remain. Until that changes, they will remain on top.

Assuming you can still shave with a 4 week old cart ( doubtful, but just assuming ), the blade would slowly dull and the shaver would unconsciously increase pressure a little bit more each day to get a closer shave. Then, when he did finally change carts, he would have a much sharper blade, would use the same pressure he had been using, and would slice his face to ribbons. I know because it happened to me many moons ago. I won't make that mistake again.

It becomes absurd when you go into a grocery store & they have surveillance cameras directed at the shaving carts! shaving people. Not even the electronics section do they have camersa posted. There has to be some upper limit to the prices they can charge. If ever I have seen price fixing between two companies it's Schick & Gillette on these carts. Their identical in pricing.

(Pssst..I heard their owned by the same evil Wall Street hedge fund :devil2:their sticking it to us I tell ya...)

I imagine there has been some grumbling about the price of carts, so they're trying to justify it.

Maybe they're thinking that the first blade will last a week, then the blade behind it will take over and so on.....

Even though I started this thread, I still use a Fusion to shave my head in the shower. It works great for that.

It's obvious Gillette is on the defensive about it's outrageous cartridge pricing. But, there's no way I can swallow that a cartridge will last that long.

It becomes absurd when you go into a grocery store & they have surveillance cameras directed at the shaving carts!

I was in Pamida, a discount store in the middle west, and the Mach 3 carts were locked! You had to have somebody unlock them and carry them to the register for you!

I was in Pamida, a discount store in the middle west, and the Mach 3 carts were locked! You had to have somebody unlock them and carry them to the register for you!

They're all like that around here. Locking up antihistamines to prevent the meth cookers from stealing them is one thing, but locking up shaving carts must only be because people are stealing them because of the price. Some stores even have baby formula behind the counters because it disappears. These are sad times, gents...

Top Bottom