What's new

Is Fine Accoutrements Aftershave ok for your skin without a balm?

Hello,

I am new to wet shaving and I am curious about the ingredients in Fine Accouterments Aftershave. Their fragrances are particularly interesting to me. Especially the Floid Blue dupe. However, I have read commenters alleging that the ingredients in the aftershave are inadequate and that a balm should be used in conjunction, due to FA's lack of skin nourishing components. I also saw commenters saying that the splash was reformulated and may be suitable now. I own their platinum aftershave and it feels the same as my samples from artisans.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for your time.

If you wish to use balm, then use it. If not, then don't.
Using an alcohol-based splash without balm will not turn your face into beef jerky.
Personally, I prefer aftershaves without the excessive "skin junk" added. If I want to smear some kind of grease on my face, I will do that with a separate product.

I've used Fresh Vetiver and Platinum (both several years old) and neither has been especially drying or stinging. I've never used balm after applying aftershave splash. My typical practice is to apply styptic or alum if needed, then witch hazel, and then aftershave splash, so any sensitivity from the shave that I may be feeling is usually gone before applying the splash.

Thank you for the replies, gents! I was worried this question would be seen as spammy or infantile.

If you wish to use balm, then use it. If not, then don't.
Using an alcohol-based splash without balm will not turn your face into beef jerky.
Personally, I prefer aftershaves without the excessive "skin junk" added. If I want to smear some kind of grease on my face, I will do that with a separate product.
I'm glad to hear. I'd prefer my face not turn into beef jerky. So far so good.
Definitely not required imo. I think it’s a ymmv situation if an alcohol splash dries your skin.
So far I have noticed no signs of dryness using splash 5 days in a row, per week. Which is surprising as most bathing soaps dry my face out. My skin seems to tolerate alcohol.
I've used Fresh Vetiver and Platinum (both several years old) and neither has been especially drying or stinging. I've never used balm after applying aftershave splash. My typical practice is to apply styptic or alum if needed, then witch hazel, and then aftershave splash, so any sensitivity from the shave that I may be feeling is usually gone before applying the splash.
I have some stinging once in a blue moon, but I haven't explored things beyond soap, splash and balm.
Aftershaves that include alcohol dry the skin.
Are there any long term ramifications beyond temporarily having dry skin?

I have all of the Fine aftershaves except for the new Bay Rum. I love them all. After a cold water splash and then an application of Thayer's witch hazel skin toner, I get dressed and then apply my aftershave. Works well for me.

I have a million and one soaps and creams so when I shave with a non Fine soap, I will use the Thayer's followed by a balm after getting dressed. That works well for me too.

If you have oily or combination skin, you will probably be fine. If you have dry skin, you may want a balm or skin lotion sometimes. Another option would be to add a few drops of vegetable glycerin to the aftershave, shake and let it sit for a little while to blend in. Vegetable glycerin is inexpensive and available at most drugstores or online.

I often use a scentless balm (Zingari) with aftershave -- aside from the skin care, it tends to extend some of the more short lived scents further into the day.

Fine has non-alcohol containing Aftershave balsam too, at least for Platinum scent, if you are having dry skin from alcohol containing AS.

I quite often get itchy skin from those "non-alcoholic, good & gentle for your skin" type of products so I try to avoid them. Alcohol-containing aftershaves do not cause any issues for me 🤔

Top Bottom