What's new

Is Dovo "Classic" 5/8” any good?

I’m looking for a traditional straight razor. I’ve been using a shavet for almost 15 years. Is dove classic decent? What’s the difference between $100 vs $300 razorI don’t mind spending more if I get nicer blade material.

There is nothing wrong with a Dovo. I understand that all of the Solingen razors are made from blanks stamped by the same forge in Solingen. The steel is good. Dovo makes their razors in a factory with different parts of the process handled by different people. Personally, I prefer the razors made by Ralf Aust. He is a one man shop. He uses the same blanks to start, but he does all the work himself. He is a master craftsman. Heribert Wacker is another small shop in Solingen that makes good razors. Boker is another razor factory in Solingen, but they make some good razors. I love my Boker Silver Steel 6/8" extra hollow ground razor, but some might find the grind a little thin for their preference.

There are several things that contribute to the cost of a straight. One is the width of the blade. A 5/8" blade will generally be less expensive than a wider blade. I have a couple of 5/8" razors, but I much prefer shaving with a 6/8" or 7/8" blade. The narrow blade is an advantage for shaving under your nose. It is easier judging the blade angle with a wider blade. Once you get beyond 7/8" the weight and size of the razor can be challenging for beginners, not to mention expensive).

The other factor influencing cost is decoration. Less expensive blades generally come with cheap plastic scales and simple stampings on the blade. More expensive razors may come with more refined scales made of wood, horn, bone, micarta, etc. That can affect the feel of the razor during the shave. They may also have features such as laser etching, gold wash, etc. that make the razors a work of art. These decorations do not necessarily provide a better shave, but they do contribute to the overall experience of shaving with a straight razor.

If you want to purchase a new razor, my suggestion would be a 6/8" Ralf Aust razor with wood or horn scales. One problem with Dovo razors is that they may or may not be shave ready. It depends upon your edge preferences. I have a Dovo Bismark and I had to hone the razor before I could ever use it. Ralf Aust and Wacker razors should come shave ready. Some razor stores will hone razors before they ship them to you.

You might also want to consider a vintage straight razor that has been suitably cleaned, restored and honed. Some forum members restore razors as a hobby more so that a business, so you can get a decent razor at a decent price. Be careful of purchasing razors off eBay. It is possible to get a good razor that way, but there are many duds. I got a Wade and Butcher For Barber's Use that had a good blade. I had to replace the scales, clean and hone the razor. That is not something you are quite ready to get involved in as a newcomer to straight razors.

There are a number of people who use inexpensive Chinese Gold Dollar razors. The fit and finish of these razors leaves much to be desired. Many of them require modification to the blade stabilizer before they can be honed properly. However, there are those who sell these Gold Dollar razors that are modified and honed. The steel is not as hard as some razors, but once properly honed, they will give a decent shave. Because Gold Dollar razors are inexpensive, they are great for practice when you want to learn how to hone.

You might see some inexpensive razors online. Many of these come from countries like Pakistan. Unlike the Chinese Gold Dollar razors the steel on many of these razors is not properly heat treated. Thus, they may look like razors, but they will not hold an edge sharp enough to give a good shave. They are often called RSOs (Razor Shaped Objects). They make great letter openers and box cutters, but they are unlikely to provide a decent shave, so beware.

Not an endorsement, since I don't know the seller, but FS - 19th century Frederick Reynolds, Custom Koraat, & Ralf Aust - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/19th-century-frederick-reynolds-custom-koraat-ralf-aust.605011/#post-11217001

Ralf Aust @ 85 is probably a good price for entry level razor. Likely shave-ready to boot.

Edit: IMHO, if from the same company, price differences are often related to how pretty the razor is (type of scales, spine decoration, etching & gold plating, etc). For entry level razor, I'd dispense with all the bells and whistles and get the no-frills model. Truly I say to you, $7 shipped gold dollar can be honed to shave as good as any.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with a Dovo. I understand that all of the Solingen razors are made from blanks stamped by the same forge in Solingen. The steel is good. Dovo makes their razors in a factory with different parts of the process handled by different people. Personally, I prefer the razors made by Ralf Aust. He is a one man shop. He uses the same blanks to start, but he does all the work himself. He is a master craftsman. Heribert Wacker is another small shop in Solingen that makes good razors. Boker is another razor factory in Solingen, but they make some good razors. I love my Boker Silver Steel 6/8" extra hollow ground razor, but some might find the grind a little thin for their preference.

There are several things that contribute to the cost of a straight. One is the width of the blade. A 5/8" blade will generally be less expensive than a wider blade. I have a couple of 5/8" razors, but I much prefer shaving with a 6/8" or 7/8" blade. The narrow blade is an advantage for shaving under your nose. It is easier judging the blade angle with a wider blade. Once you get beyond 7/8" the weight and size of the razor can be challenging for beginners, not to mention expensive).

The other factor influencing cost is decoration. Less expensive blades generally come with cheap plastic scales and simple stampings on the blade. More expensive razors may come with more refined scales made of wood, horn, bone, micarta, etc. That can affect the feel of the razor during the shave. They may also have features such as laser etching, gold wash, etc. that make the razors a work of art. These decorations do not necessarily provide a better shave, but they do contribute to the overall experience of shaving with a straight razor.

If you want to purchase a new razor, my suggestion would be a 6/8" Ralf Aust razor with wood or horn scales. One problem with Dovo razors is that they may or may not be shave ready. It depends upon your edge preferences. I have a Dovo Bismark and I had to hone the razor before I could ever use it. Ralf Aust and Wacker razors should come shave ready. Some razor stores will hone razors before they ship them to you.

You might also want to consider a vintage straight razor that has been suitably cleaned, restored and honed. Some forum members restore razors as a hobby more so that a business, so you can get a decent razor at a decent price. Be careful of purchasing razors off eBay. It is possible to get a good razor that way, but there are many duds. I got a Wade and Butcher For Barber's Use that had a good blade. I had to replace the scales, clean and hone the razor. That is not something you are quite ready to get involved in as a newcomer to straight razors.

There are a number of people who use inexpensive Chinese Gold Dollar razors. The fit and finish of these razors leaves much to be desired. Many of them require modification to the blade stabilizer before they can be honed properly. However, there are those who sell these Gold Dollar razors that are modified and honed. The steel is not as hard as some razors, but once properly honed, they will give a decent shave. Because Gold Dollar razors are inexpensive, they are great for practice when you want to learn how to hone.

You might see some inexpensive razors online. Many of these come from countries like Pakistan. Unlike the Chinese Gold Dollar razors the steel on many of these razors is not properly heat treated. Thus, they may look like razors, but they will not hold an edge sharp enough to give a good shave. They are often called RSOs (Razor Shaped Objects). They make great letter openers and box cutters, but they are unlikely to provide a decent shave, so beware.

Unfortunately Ralf Aust doesn't currently ship to US. I can get the Dovo classic under $50 new. I have stropped Japanese knives before but never tried it on straight razor. This may be good one to practice sharpening until I move to something nicer.

Unfortunately Ralf Aust doesn't currently ship to US. I can get the Dovo classic under $50 new. I have stropped Japanese knives before but never tried it on straight razor. This may be good one to practice sharpening until I move to something nicer.

Unfortunately, the COVID situation has messed with a lot of supply chains, so many items have become less available.

There are some USA razor shops like Maggard Razors carry Ralf Aust razors. However, many of the less expensive models are sold out. Yes, Dovo razors can be had for less money, but Dovo/Merkur filed for bankruptcy about a year ago. That does not necessarily mean they are shutting down, so that might provide opportunities for a good deal.

The Dovo classic is their most popular razor because it is the least expensive. However, for a price of $50 I would not count on it being shave ready unless your beard is fairly light. You did not mention the type of shavette you use or the brand of blades you use in that razor. If you have been using an inexpensive shavette with a Derby Extra half-blade, then the Dovo may well be shave ready. If you have been using a Feather Artist Club razor with a Feather AC Professional blade, then the Dovo is likely to need honing before you find it suitable.

Unfortunately, the COVID situation has messed with a lot of supply chains, so many items have become less available.

There are some USA razor shops like Maggard Razors carry Ralf Aust razors. However, many of the less expensive models are sold out. Yes, Dovo razors can be had for less money, but Dovo/Merkur filed for bankruptcy about a year ago. That does not necessarily mean they are shutting down, so that might provide opportunities for a good deal.

The Dovo classic is their most popular razor because it is the least expensive. However, for a price of $50 I would not count on it being shave ready unless your beard is fairly light. You did not mention the type of shavette you use or the brand of blades you use in that razor. If you have been using an inexpensive shavette with a Derby Extra half-blade, then the Dovo may well be shave ready. If you have been using a Feather Artist Club razor with a Feather AC Professional blade, then the Dovo is likely to need honing before you find it suitable.
I use a cheap small shavett with derby or nacet blades. I use it to clean around my goatee so I prefer dull blades.I have tried other taller blades but I prefer this because it’s easier to see what I’m doing for precision work. I will only be using the straight razor to clean around my lips and goatee.

Attachments

• 9D0BD5CF-EC72-420A-8715-4D6627A2565C.jpeg
    9D0BD5CF-EC72-420A-8715-4D6627A2565C.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you get a good one. Unfortunately the chances are good that you won't. JMHO and YMMV. Go for a Bismarck. A plain vanilla model using the same blade style will be cheaper.

I use a cheap small shavett with derby or nacet blades. I use it to clean around my goatee so I prefer dull blades.I have tried other taller blades but I prefer this because it’s easier to see what I’m doing for precision work. I will only be using the straight razor to clean around my lips and goatee.

In that case, the Dovo Classic 5/8" would be ideal. Sometimes people even use 4/8" wide blades for trimming beards.

In that case, the Dovo Classic 5/8" would be ideal. Sometimes people even use 4/8" wide blades for trimming beards.

Is French tip more appropriate for cleaning mustache around lips? are they more difficult to hone/strop?
How does Ralf Aust compare with Thiers Issard?

Last edited:
For those new to straight razors, I typically recommend round tips. They are more forgiving. However, since you have experience with a shavette; I see no reason not to consider French tip or Spanish tip razors. You always have to keep track of the tip, but since you are trimming your beard, you will frequently be using the tip for that purpose.

For those new to straight razors, I typically recommend round tips. They are more forgiving. However, since you have experience with a shavette; I see no reason not to consider French tip or Spanish tip razors. You always have to keep track of the tip, but since you are trimming your beard, you will frequently be using the tip for that purpose.
I generally use the tip for cleaning around my lips and goatee. How does Ralf Aust compare with Theirs Issard?

It is a generally accepted fact that the French tip is the best tip.

It is the One Tip to rule them all.
One Tip to find them, One Tip to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

I don’t mind spending more if I get nicer blade material

The Dovo Carre on sale $145 shipped at Royal Shave is a pick-of-the-litter Bismarck with nice grenadille scales. Mine (bought there) was shave ready enough that I am only using my diamond pasted balsa strop progression and a Tony Miller strop to maintain/improve the edge.

Treat it well and you will be happy with it for years. 6/8 round point, handles easily on face, hones, and strop.

The Best Quality Dovo is said to be hit or miss. Mine was a hit, but its edge was a step down from the Carre until I honed it.

The Dovo Carre on sale $145 shipped at Royal Shave is a pick-of-the-litter Bismarck with nice grenadille scales. Mine (bought there) was shave ready enough that I am only using my diamond pasted balsa strop progression and a Tony Miller strop to maintain/improve the edge.

Treat it well and you will be happy with it for years. 6/8 round point, handles easily on face, hones, and strop.

The Best Quality Dovo is said to be hit or miss. Mine was a hit, but its edge was a step down from the Carre until I honed it.
This is another option I'm looking at:

Knife Center has great prices and they have given me outstanding service. I recommend them without reservation.

Staminawood is easy care. I had to send a T-I back once, but the one you are considering is not an entry level razor.

The Bokers are well respected and typically well made. Early on, I bought a very inexpensive Robert Klaas from Knife Center that is fine. Just needed a few laps on the finish hone. And not many guys have one.

If I was buying a Dovo Best Quality again I would get the half hollow. Easier to finish hone, a little more mass.

Just read more of this thread. For just clean up jobs, the Dovo Barbarossa is great. Shorty blade with a spanish point, made for salon detail work. Knife Center has the stainless/ebony model. I've got one. I think the edge would suit you as it comes from the factory. You would still need a pasted balsa strop (or similar) and a decent leather strop to maintain the edge. Check it out.

Top Bottom