What's new

Is Dove bad?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
In 1980 I was dating a girl whose skin always smelled like Dove, so I started using it. No idea where she is today, but 41 years on I'm still using Dove. I tend to get the Unscented these days, but I don't have a problem with the original scent. My wife uses their cucumber scent lately.

I get dry skin after showering in the winter as well. My go to bar soap for the past few years has been Stirling. Pre de Provence and Klar both make nice bath soap as well. Lots of decent options out there though, I'd suggest picking up a few and experimenting to see what works best for your skin.

I live near Edmonton Alberta. It gets cold and very dry in the winter. My skin gets extremely dry and irritated in the winter. Started using Dove body wash a couple of years ago. My skin is sooo much better.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Dove Pure and Sensitive is my go to soap. Has been for quite some time. I have tried changing to other soaps but they always seem to give me rashes and very itchy skin. Dove does not, so I like it very much.

I've used Dove and found it to be an excellent soap but I'd suggest that every man over 40 needs a moisturizer too. I'm over 70 and I use Cerave every day. If you don't need such a big gun, try Aveeno, an excellent lighter-weight, non-greasy moisturizer.

Used Dove, Irish Spring, Lux, Ivory and all are too drying, notice a sheen of whitish dry skins on your legs and arms ? If a soap leaves greasy hard to remove soap scum around the tub it's not a good soap plus it will clog your drains like lard. Try switching over to a pure glycerin soap like The Soap Works or Le Chat Glycerin first so you can tell just how much softer and less drying your skin will be just after threes uses and then move up to a SdM soap like Le Serial, Fer de Cheval, La Corvette, Marius Fabre etc... to feel the complete circle. Retail Soaps > Glycerin Soaps > SdM Soaps

I live in Colorado and it gets SUPER dry here in the winter. I used to have a lot of problems with dry skin and tried all sorts of fancy "moisturizing" soaps to no avail. Then somebody turned me on to Savon de Marseilles, a traditional soap made primarily in and around - you guessed it - Marseilles, France. They've been making it for 600 years. Ingredients are olive oil, sea water and soda ash and that's it. No fragrances or anything. If you shop around you can find the traditional rough cubes in various sizes (up to several kilos!) that you can cut into bars at home, or Pre de Provence makes triple-milled bars. The PdP version has shea butter added but it doesn't seem to hurt the product. The triple milled bars last a couple of months each in my shower so, while expensive, it ends up being pretty cheap in the end.

Similar traditional mediterranean soaps are good too - Aleppo and Al Jamal. All have basically the same recipe. Not sure how much of Aleppo is left after the civil war in Syria, but I'm sure the soapmaking goes on as it has for thousands of years.

Some recipes use palm or coconut oil, but get an olive oil version. "72% d'huile d'olive". Ignore the liquid soaps and the colored and scented stuff - you're looking for the old-school green stuff.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I use a pine tar soap (Packer's or Grandpa's) for hair, face and pre-shave. Sometimes I even use it for body. For those times I'm using pine tar or another body soap and need more moisturizing, I keep a bottle of Aveeno Skin Relief in the shower and squirt some into the wash cloth with the soap.

...Ingredients are olive oil, sea water and soda ash and that's it...Some recipes use palm or coconut oil, but get an olive oil version. "72% d'huile d'olive"...
Just to clarify, the standard "green" SdM ingredients are olive + coconut oil.

There is a traditional SdM made solely with olive oil, but it's offered only by Fer à Cheval (as a special edition). Great stuff.

(The "72%'' signifies a composition of ≥72% saponified plant oils, of which ~70% is saponified olive oil and ~30% saponified coconut oil.)

Aleppo soap is made with olive oil, water and lye with laurel berry oil added up to 20%. Laurel berry oil is supposed to contribute some anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties to the soap.

out of all of the commercial soaps I’ve tried I’d say dove was the best and nivea is second now in saying that….the best soap I have tried was a handmade bar from a artisan soap shop …..they are alot more expensive but boy when you find a good one 👍…sad part was the person who made the good bars here retired about 2-3yrs ago sad but is what it is

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So I get really dry skin in the winter time and I'm already starting to feel it now where I live in Kentucky. I was thinking about trying Dove you know with the moisturizing cream and all but I keep reading it's not really soap. Even if that's true does it matter? What do you guys think of Dove or do you have any other recommendations for something that's a good moisturizing soap. I appreciate any help or recommendations.
I’ve been using Grandma’s Pure Lye Soap for several years and it is the best soap for my skin I’ve ever used. No perfumes or chemical additives. Available on Amazon.

Not sure if it's being sold anymore, but I've gotten this Grapefruit Mint soap a couple of times from Whole Foods and it's fantastic. It's a house branded triple milled soap made in France.

Top Bottom