What's new

Is Dove bad?

So I get really dry skin in the winter time and I'm already starting to feel it now where I live in Kentucky. I was thinking about trying Dove you know with the moisturizing cream and all but I keep reading it's not really soap. Even if that's true does it matter? What do you guys think of Dove or do you have any other recommendations for something that's a good moisturizing soap. I appreciate any help or recommendations.

Dove contains synthetic detergent ingredients. Despite that, most people find it fairly mild and can use it with no issues. People who insist on "natural" ingredients might not like Dove.

If you want to try a moisturizing soap, there are many good ones. For example, Mitchell's Wool Fat or Pre de Provence bath soaps are both really good.
1632697485758.png
1632697349809.png

Last edited:
I don't give much thought to bath soap, but I've been using Dove daily for close to twenty years since my wife started buying it for the household. It definitely reduces dry skin in the snowy winter months here, especially compared to Irish Spring, Dial, etc.

I haven't used Ivory for many years, but if I think of it, I'll pick up a bar for comparison and report back.

Dove is what my wife wants. I've bought much more expensive and fancy soaps and she always wants to go back to Dove. Right now she's using Pre de Provonce White Gardenia that I bought her because she loves the smell of gardenias. Guess what....she likes Dove better and plans to go back to Dove. (It'll probably be next year. That PdP bar is HUGE.)

Personally I'm happy with the cheap stuff.

A bar of Dove ground up and mixed with four tablespoons of coconut oil
and then mixed with two ground up bars of Neutrogena,
is something that I like to shave with.

Short answer: Dove is not bad.

Dove sensitive has been good for me in several ways. You see, I like to mix things up. Little experiments if you will. Often times, when I shave before my shower. I will keep the leftover lather. Normally I put it in a mug or bowl. In the shower I load my loofah with Dove sensitive. For me the Dove is scent free. Now thats where the leftover shave lather comes in. After adding it to my already Dove loaded loofah, it adds the scent from my shave.
Another way I like to use Dove is in the opposite detection. If I shower before my shave. I have found that if I add a little Dove to most any tallow bath bar soap, I will make a very nice shaving lather. That way I can in joy a quality shave with scented soaps that may not be found in designated shave soaps.
I do need to admit that it sometimes takes a little trial and error before I get it right. But for me, at least, that’s part of the fun.

I was having terrible dry skin issues a few years ago in winter. Dove unscented has been my go to soap to avoid irritation.

A bar of Dove ground up and mixed with four tablespoons of coconut oil
and then mixed with two ground up bars of Neutrogena,
is something that I like to shave with.

Short answer: Dove is not bad.
I neglected to mention that I used Dove as a shave soap once when I forgot to pack shave soap for travel. It worked OK, but the lather was hard to see.

I have been using the unscented sensitive dove over 20 years. Other soaps can irritate and dry out my skin. Buy the bulk pack at Costco. My boys burn through the stuff. I expected them to smell better!

These are particularly gentle (and a pleasure to use), ime:

Fer à Cheval (100% olive oil)
Patounis (olive or olive-palm)
Tauer / Mettler (glycerin)
Rampal Latour (Savon de Marseille with glycerin retained)

Top Bottom