What's new

Is Chubby 2 & M7 the most iconic brush in Simpson lineup?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There are many handle shapes that are no longer in production and until recently smaller brushes were much more in fashion. I prefer knots below 25mm and for me the Chubby 2 and 3 are almost unusable, although I find the M7 and M6 excellent especially for bowl lathering. Certainly the Chubby name is iconic and probably the best known with many imitators, but how about the Wee Scot? It is signed by Alexander Simpson himself and a very under rated brush often mistaken by some as a novelty piece.

For me there are many ’iconic’ Simpsons! After all they have been making brushes for a century!

My personal favorites are all in the smaller/medium size range: Chubby 1 (the 2 and 3 are simply too large), Duke 2, Classic 2, Tulip 2, 56 and 57. And, of course, the Wee Scot!! :a29: :a29:

I discussed this topic several times in the past with my friend Mark Watterson.

The two most iconic Simpsons are:

Chubby 2
Duke 3

I would agree on these, but the Wee Scot really needs to be added. It isn’t for everyone true, but the history behind it and the fact there is no other modern maker that even dares attempt such a brush makes it a true icon.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I would agree on these, but the Wee Scot really needs to be added. It isn’t for everyone true, but the history behind it and the fact there is no other modern maker that even dares attempt such a brush makes it a true icon.

Very true, Sir. :thumbsup:

There are many shapes, styles & combinations on offer throughout our entire range but the Chubby is still the brush that gets the most attention & love.

There’s the Rolex Submariner, the Ferrari 250GT, Dom Pérignon Rose Gold & there’s .......

In shaving circles, it’s there.

I agree!

Chubby 2.jpg

My first decent shaving brush was a PJ2 best bought from Maitlands when I was a grad student. After many years of use, I sold it on BST almost 15 years ago. The PJ is the iconic Simpson brush shape for me. Especially the curvy ones from the Somerset factory.

I know what the most iconic are, but I have at least one of all the unique regular stock models. Several, several, several Chubbies. Those things multiply like rabbits.

There are many shapes, styles & combinations on offer throughout our entire range but the Chubby is still the brush that gets the most attention & love.

There’s the Rolex Submariner, the Ferrari 250GT, Dom Pérignon Rose Gold & there’s .......

In shaving circles, it’s there.

sounds like business has been good, Mark. :thumbup1:

I own the Chubby 2, Chubby 3, and Duke 3. The one I want is another Chubby 2 in either silvertip or manchurian. However, the handle for the Eagle appeals to me also.

marty

sounds like business has been good, Mark. :thumbup1:

We are steady business wise, I actually celebrated 10 years at the helm of Progress / Simpson at the beginning of this month.

The next few weeks, months & maybe years ahead will challenge us all though ... almost all retail outlets have been shut down across the world & I fear that some will be lost forever.

Consumers have stopped spending, which is understandable given the circumstances. Most are worried for the health & livelihoods.

I hope we all come through this safe & well, then we can start on the economic recovery.

Stay well everyone.

Top Bottom