What's new

Is Charcoal Goods still relevant?

Why this question? I may be able to get a used OC level 2.

Over the years I owned many high quality razors and at this point I settled on the Blackbird and the Supply SE as my favorites and today I will give the latest version of the Muhle Rocca a spin. When reading about razors you usually see a peak in posts and appreciation around the introduction of a new DE and then another year or so.

With the Charcoal Goods I see a relatively steady albeit modest stream of appreciation. Hence my question. Is the Charcoal Goods still in the same league as the current high end razors with regard to the comfort vs effectiveness ratio?

I personally believe Charcoal Goods is in the top tier of DE razor manufacturers. For unique beauty, in the very top, but beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. With that being said, I love my Charcoal Goods SB level 2, but rarely use the OC level 2 plate. The OC plate is fine, but I prefer the SB on my CG. In general, I prefer SB razors. If you prefer OC razors, I think you will do well to own one. Resale is still decent, so you can recoup most of your expense if it is not to your liking.

As for whether they are still relevant, only the market and time will tell.

As the Old Type is still quite relevant, I’d say the Charcoal Goods should also be for a hundred years if they make DE blades that long.

For some it takes maybe a year, for others longer (Took me about 6 years) and yet some never get there, but you’ll find eventually you can get a BBS shave with anything. Some razors you will need more passes, others are smoother, but they’ll all get you there.

As the Old Type is still quite relevant, I’d say the Charcoal Goods should also be for a hundred years if they make DE blades that long.

For some it takes maybe a year, for others longer (Took me about 6 years) and yet some never get there, but you’ll find eventually you can get a BBS shave with anything. Some razors you will need more passes, others are smoother, but they’ll all get you there.

Well put. Any razor which appeals to some users is relevant. When all's said and done, the vast majority of them are capable of delivering an excellent, comfortable shave.

I have a Charcoal Goods Level 2 SB and OC. I like both, but I probably prefer the OC. I put them right up there with my Wolfman and Blackbird razors. I wouldn’t pass up a chance to get the OC.

Still relevant compared to the competition? Yes.

It's a well-made razor that just works. I have the Blackbird and the CG; both shave great while being different experiences.

I also own a couple Merkur razors that shave great. To reinforce what folks are saying, any well-made razor is capable of delivering a great shave, regardless of price point or "cache".

CG makes a great razor. I had a Lvl 2 and 3 in brass, but couldn't get over the weight, so I sold both. Aesthetically speaking, my brass Lvl2 w/Stinger was my favorite razor. If I could get one with a hollow handle, I would consider buying another. If I could get one in Ti with a Stinger handle, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Over the years I have bought, tried and sold many razors. Charcoal Goods has always stayed. I have level 1,2 and 3 DC in the first gen and level 2 & 3 SB in gen 2 also more handles from Brian that I should admit. His razors are truly works of art and the shave quality stands up next to the best in the business IMHO so I see them as more than relevant they are here to stay for me.

I would say that the amount of replies alone are testimony to CG's relevance.

It probably has to do with my very hard stubble, but I have often been disappointed in the shaving qualities of razors that were praised to high heaven. Then in turn I was disappointed with the resale value, even when I had bought second hand. Anyway that is probably everybody's story; buying and selling razors, to try what suits you best can be costly.

As with all razors, it is always a gamble. Based on your comments, I will get the CG, if all goes well. I will post a picture. Otherwise I will still have the Futur, Supply, Blackbird, Rocca, etc.for my daily shave.

I love both my gen 1 & 2 level 3 Charcoal razors. The Magnum handle is one of my favorites as well. It has unsurpassed grip with great looks.

Soon to be yesterday's news. Only appreciated by shaving forums members. Someday they will be in junk shoppes and no one will want to pay much for them, except shaving forums members, and they will want to get them cheap....and may not be in the junk shop anyway. Buy it, enjoy it, but it will have no long term value.

Soon to be yesterday's news. Only appreciated by shaving forums members. Someday they will be in junk shoppes and no one will want to pay much for them, except shaving forums members, and they will want to get them cheap....and may not be in the junk shop anyway. Buy it, enjoy it, but it will have no long term value.

I think that will be true with about 99% of our niche products.

I would say still relevant, for now... and I would categorize them alongside Timeless and maybe a few others (ATT, Rex, Blackland, Rocnell, Tatara)... High End Attainable...

versus...

Wolfman Razors = High End Virtually Unattainable... Five or six years ago I was really jonesing to get a Wolfman razor but as the price continued to spiral upward and obtaining one became harder and harder I forgot about them. I just went to the website to check them out for the first time in years... $600 plus for a razor and stand... Just silly... That's what in would consider moving toward irrelevant.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I have shaving friends with similar tastes to mine recommend it highly. I have a copper level 2 on the way. Some of the handles are beautiful like the stinger and vertigo. I went with the hammered.

Top Bottom