What's new

Is bigger better?

After shaving with SRs for over seven years and having a wide variety of shave ready razors, I am now of the view that with equally good edges, a larger razor shaves better for me. The grind doesn't seem to make much difference either.

So is this commensurate with your own experience, or do you find the opposite?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not having an much SR shaving experience as @aussie (only 1,145 shaves in), I have no preference when it comes to size, mass or grind of a SR. My SRs range from 4/8 to 7/8 and from full hollow to ¼ hollow. I select my daily drive depending on how I feel at that instant.

Not having an much SR shaving experience as @aussie (only 1,145 shaves in), I have no preference when it comes to size, mass or grind of a SR. My SRs range from 4/8 to 7/8 and from full hollow to ¼ hollow. I select my daily drive depending on how I feel at that instant.
While I am ahead of you in SR shave count, most of my SR shaving has been done with shavettes. So for traditional SR shaves I think you would be well ahead of me. As a matter of fact my journaling is sufficiently detailed that I can tell you that I have 324 SR shaves under my belt compared to 1245 shavette shaves.

After shaving with SRs for over seven years and having a wide variety of shave ready razors, I am now of the view that with equally good edges, a larger razor shaves better for me. The grind doesn't seem to make much difference either.

So is this commensurate with your own experience, or do you find the opposite?
My sweet spot is 6/8, regardless of grind. I like the weight and balance of a heavy blade, but I like the manoeuvrability and nimbleness of smaller blades.
I think the smaller blades require a different technique. I have now used 5/8 blades only for the last months. I am starting to like them more and more. The last three razors I bought was 5/8'ts, full hollow and extra hollow.
There is probably a good reason this was a common size in Scandinavia.

In the US everything is for some reason preferred to be bigger:)

I love my 8/8 Portland razor as much as my 4/8 helje. As long as they fall in that range the shave quality is always good. Usually if I have a razor I don't like it is because the steel is bad/ can't take a good edge.

I find 13/16 the size for me. Ive got bigger but they just seems to take more effort. I have a 2/8 razor and can shave with it but it wont hold any lather. 6/8 is good but a touch more is just right. And i dont like the near wedge grind. A full hollow or extra hollow is my go to grind. The wedge just doesnt shave me as close as i like.

I would not say 'better' - it's preference.

I prefer 7/8 and wider, 1/2 hollow or heavier. Heft, balance, drama in the lines - all seems to come together for me with larger razors.

13/16 to 7/8 near wedge for me.

I own one 8/8 - a Wade & Butcher Magnum Bonum. Great razor - very happy to own it. But I prefer the balance of a 13/16 or 7/8. The idea of a 9/8 seems over the top to me.

Tried a 9/16 and it was too flimsy. I much prefer some heft behind the edge and don't have any issues with manoeuverability.

I can't deny that I am also drawn to the aesthetics of bigger blades, but have no desire to go beyond 15/16.

I find the same. When I got my first 6/8ths, it was a game changer. My mustache-hairs grows straight out, and are as thick as a safety pin (not literally but you get it). They are not easy to cut, so the extra weight of a bigger razor helps.

I have a 1’ 1/18ths that is magic to use, it’s like driving a Cadillac. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy smaller though, I have a 4/8ths Genco that is one of my favorites. I love the maneuverability of it. I just ultimately prefer a heavier razor.

We’ll see if my opinion changes after I use a kamisori though.

I'm a larger guy with larger hands. I have a 4/8 razor and it does feel dainty. Shaves well though. I do prefer the feel of a 1/4 to 1/2 hollow 7/8 razor though. The heft feels right. That said, most of my razors are 5/8 to 6/8.

bigger not better for me - I do have some bigger blades with some weight behind them but they are not used very often, even though they look good!
I find I enjoy the 5/8 - 6/8th sizes, hollow blades - maybe at times a little wider but the weight mustnt increase too much, so keeping with a full hollow then.
Its nice to have variety

I have sizes from 4/8th's to 7/8th's, and if I don't force myself to use them all in turn, I would be reaching for the 7/8th's most of the time.

Personal preference comes into it, but it's more than that. I would be controversial and say that, for me, the wider blades definitely gives me a better shave. Better in terms of closeness. I would ascribe that to the natural geometry of the blade, the wider the blade, the smaller the bevel angle, the better potential for a really sharp edge. Yes I know, the width of the spine comes into the equation, and there are other factors to consider.

If I am in the mood for a "easy" but adequate shave, a 5/8th's or even a 6/8th's with a round point is a good choice.

My favourite blades are the 14's. Fili 14, Koraat 14.2, Mannos 14, Guilermo Hoppe 14. The only other razor of the same size is my Rigarazor, but the grind is much heavier.

Keeping my eyes peeled for a Palmera 14.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I believe my girlfriends. They say size doesn't matter 😊.

(I'm referring to SRs of course.)
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew I had to come in and check for who would be the first to do the innuendo thing.

Now that it's out of the way, we can move on, right fellas?

5/8 seem to be my preference, but I also enjoy my other razors from 4/8 to 8/8. I found the blades larger than 13/16 can be quite unwieldy, but they are fun to use. The 4/8 or 9/16 are very nimble. 3/8 razors are a different proposition altogether. I have found it is possible to get a good shave using them, but I find them tricky.

Top Bottom