What's new

Is BBS on Neck even Possible?

When using my dovo shavette, I am having trouble getting a perfect BBS shave on my neck... my hair seems to grow across so the only way to do full ATG is cutting completely horizontal across my neck, which seems relatively dangerous... even with a WTG, an XTG pass and even a diagonal XTG pass, I still couldn't get a perfect BBS shave... Any advice on how to go about this? Is it even possible to get a full BBS shave on the neck?

I have the same problem, the hair on my neck grows sideways. My solution is to do 1 WTG pass and 1 ATG passes on my neck. If I attempt for a BBS shave I will get irritation, every now and they you'll get pretty close.

I've given up trying it's just too sensitive. If I do it I always end up irritated as hell, with bumps and burns. I go wtg and atg in both directions. Just leave good enough alone.

When using my dovo shavette, I am having trouble getting a perfect BBS shave on my neck... my hair seems to grow across so the only way to do full ATG is cutting completely horizontal across my neck, which seems relatively dangerous... even with a WTG, an XTG pass and even a diagonal XTG pass, I still couldn't get a perfect BBS shave... Any advice on how to go about this? Is it even possible to get a full BBS shave on the neck?

I can see how it could be a bit "exciting" going atg on your neck with a shavette in those circumstances, but it's no problem with a DE razor; I got a BBS on my neck just 30 minutes ago with a Rockwell 6S.

I can see how it could be a bit "exciting" going atg on your neck with a shavette in those circumstances, but it's no problem with a DE razor; I got a BBS on my neck just 30 minutes ago with a Rockwell 6S.

hmm... maybe I'll have to start using both when I shape up my beard... shavette for edging and DE to finish off the neck. Definitely something to consider! Thanks for the heads up!

Hi,

I can get there using an Old Type Thin Cap against the grain. Like you, I am not comfortable with my ATG in that area with a straight....

Stan

I got a BBS after a nice relaxing shave this morning. I don't really try for a BBS, but when I felt my whiskers after my first WTH pass, I noticed how smooth things were, so I did my second pass ATG, feeling where I needed attention. Then a full third pass XTG across my neck, going over the very few trouble spots that remained. GSB blade, 2nd use. Fatboy set at 9. Speick cream and aftershave, which are marvelous: my skin feels (and smells) great, no balm needed. A pleasant painless change from my usual satisfactory DFS.

... I am having trouble getting a perfect BBS shave on my neck...
Are you sure about that?

I shave at night when I have lots of time. Something I keep doing every night is going over the same areas on either side of my Adam's apple repeatedly. When I rub my fingers there I find what feels like stubble. I feel it ATG but not WTG, which is quite convincing. When I run the DE razor over it ATG it sounds like the usual stubble-cutting feedback, although it may just be blade chatter. Eventually I just give up, rinse, scribble with the alum stick, rinse with cold water, and throw on some Old Spice AS.

The miracle is that when I wake up in the morning it feels BBS all over, smoother than at the end of the shave. Even now, 16 hours after shaving, it feels just a tad smoother ATG than at the end of shaving last night.

One of these days I will conquer the urge to keep shaving after 42 passes. :001_unsur

Last edited:
...The miracle is that when I wake up in the morning it feels BBS all over...

Hmm, that's really interesting... I shaved a few hours ago since I had the day off so I guess I'll see how it feels when I wake up tomorrow!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
It is absolutely possible. 2 pass BBS with either my Futur or my ATT h1. It's a matter of getting your technique down. It may take a while, but if you keep at it and don't keep swapping out razors and blades every shave, you can do it. Work on mastering your razor and stick with one blade. It's probably more difficult with a straight or shavette, but still possible. Don't give up, you can do it.

It's possible, but generally it comes at the expense of razor burn or weepers for me. I'm happier with DFS and no redness, then BBS but red and bleeding.

I can only get a BBS once in a blue moon.

I've given up trying to get one because the left side of my neck is my one area that is a magnet for nicks, weepers, razor burn and ingrown hairs - I've got pink dots there which are scars from all the ingrown hairs that I pulled out by the roots in the past

Now I'd rather have a DFS and be done with it, a BBS doesn't look any different to a DFS, it just feels smoother for a few hours, and IMHO it's just not worth all the hassle and discomfort
Besides, on the rare occasions I get a BBS purely by chance - I enjoy it all the more

I can get BBS on the neck with the Old Type and a Feather blade, I have sensitive skin but an efficient razor and sharp blade with fewer passes seems to do the trick. If I use the same blade in a Tech all I get is a burn and a very average shave.
You do need to have some idea of which way the hair grows and a good soap is a must. Do a face map and buy some Haslinger Schafmilch.
Have you tried stretching the skin while shaving?

Top Bottom