What's new

Is BBS "a chase" for you?

BBS is...

• easy to get, given the proper technique & prep

Votes: 87 76.3%
  • impossible to get without irritation

Votes: 27 23.7%

• Total voters
At its core, shaving is just controlled trauma. You are scraping a sharp blade against your skin. I am of the opinion that some level of irritation is be expected. I'm not sure an "irritation-free" shave actually exists (I know many would disagree). I don't chase BBS in certain spots because I get really bad ingrown hairs. Especially under my jawline on my neck.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I can't remember how long it took me to get consistentently nice BBS shaves with a DE, but I guess a year or so.

Thank you! I’ll carry on as though there’s hope for me yet

When I started to shave with straight razors seven days a week, and not just on the weekends, it didn't take more than a month or two until I was getting BBS results on a daily basis.

To have to get the basics of stropping and rehoning done simultaneously while learning how to keep your face on your skull seems intimidating. Maybe that’s because I only have bench strops…

IA straight razor is like an adjustable DE razor with infinite adjustability if that makes any sense.

It’s not just changing out a disposable blade fetish for an abrasives fetish?

The answer to your second question is easy: Love hurts

Then that settles it.

Thank you, Arne!

My hat's off to those with the goal, want and ability for a BBS shave, it really is. Far too many people/entities have already placed goals of perfection on my performance at any given time for me to voluntarily add to it. There are so many variables that affect my attainment of a BBS shave, so my goal is simply a satisfying overall experience. I can get a BBS shave, but some areas grow heavier than others, the grey hairs are wiry and curl more than the darker ones, and then there's the swirls underneath the jawline that defy any amount of skin stretching, etc., so I'd rather rejoice in an "accidental BBS," than worry about a few stray hairs.

I'm new to the shaving-as-a-hobby thing but reading threads on here for the past week I'm convinced the biggest factor here are the skin and beard. We've got a bunch of people here who obsess over shaving equipment and techniques. Shaving isn't just a chore, it's an avocation. People are working hard and spending large amounts of money to find the best razors, the best blades, the best soaps, etc.. They obsess over technique videos and tutorials. Their shaving routine has turned into a carefully planned and lovingly applied multi-step process. But still for many it's quite difficult to get a really close shave.

Personally I started getting BBS shaves right when I learned how to shave and have had an easy time ever since. I can get a DFS with any equipment in a hurry and a BBS with just-OK equipment and a little more time. My fine motor coordination is nothing special - I would say it's probably below average. Sure, I had a father who provided proper shaving equipment and instruction to start out but he didn't do more than throw a brush, a tub of Trumpers soap and a good cartridge razor (this was the '80s) at me and give me a quick tutorial.

I have a fairly corse beard but I've gotten BBS shaves with high-end soaps and creams applied with a brush, cheap foams and gels out of a can, traditional soaps applied with the hand and even cheap hand soaps provided at motels - well, maybe that was just a DFS. I've gotten BBS shaves with 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 blade razors using everything from ridiculous $5-a-piece Gillette cartridges down to cheap Dollar Shave cartridges (and of course 5¢-a-piece double edge blades). I've even gotten DFS shaves from generic disposables. Proper equipment does make it easier, more comfortable and more enjoyable, but I can get a decent shave with anything. Is this because I have the most awesome technique in the world? Should I go into business as a shave instructor to the rich and famous? Heck no. I think I just have a combination of skin and hair that makes it easy. Just lucky that way.

So to answer the original question: if I'm going to use expensive soaps, creams and aftershave, an expensive badger brush, a beautiful vintage razor and a carefully selected blade you're darn right I'm going to insist on a BBS. But I wouldn't call it a "chase" for me personally.

Chris

Last edited:
DaveHStone:
I agree with you.

Would you mind sharing what razors give you easy BBS? Perhaps also those that don't.

Of late:

1936 Aristocrat with Kai SS
1948 Aristocrat with Kai SS
1936 Brit Aristocrat with Nacet, Feather
1948 Brit Aristocrat with Nacet, Feather
Coronation Set with Kai SS

Karve SB- D & above
Razorock Hawk V3 OC or CC
Occam's Oren
Rex
Flexi

Working with the Kais, I'm sure I could improve the performance of many of my vintage razors, but I'm trying to thin it out to a few favorites. The above razors give BBS consistently and with minimal effort, for me. My original Tradere OC, and the Asylum RX both deliver but take a more cautious hand, and I have several others falling into that category.

I don't chase BBS. To me BBS means two hours later it still feels exactly the same. I've only achieved this with a wet electric foil razor shave. Using gel. However, it's not consistent and I no longer want to use electrics

What's the point of not doing something not to the best of your ability? For me to get BBS, I have to have a sharp blade that is fairly new. I have a swirl just below my chin on the right and I can feel stubble there even if I go over it 10 times with a dull blade.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Interesting topic and it is important to some folks. Myself I agree with seasoned shavers who have commented don't chase the BBS.
To me It took a while to hone my procedures on getting a decent shave because it is a learning curve to hone in your Technique.
I will get more closer shaves than a lot of folks because I daily shave so the odds are in my favour to get a BBS more often. I also use a large razor rotation that gives me different brands that help me with my Technique & blade feel IMO.
My sweet spot for a 10/10 shave is CCS,DFS,BBS range with no irritation + no weepers = excellent shave and I'm a happy camper.
If I get a BBS shave with no irritation or no weepers it just does not get any better than that and I just stop and enjoy the rest of the day because my beard growth will be there the next day to shave & try to hit my sweet spot again(I needed a target or sweet spot as a gauge).
Have some great shaves!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Technique is very, very important, no question...but...recently...I've learned the tool can make or break the possibility of success. Not to get this thread off track...it's about do you chase it or not really. You can chase a BBS all you want, but if the implement you're using is incapable of it for various reasons...irritation, blood and frustration await.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
One of my New Year's 2020 resolutions was to get off the BBS 'Merry-Go-Round'. In the past year and four months, I've completely stopped checking for BBS.

Now, I do my three passes (plus touch-up) and call it a day. If I'm in a hurry, I use one of my 'bruisers' (Ikon TEK, RR Wunderbar, Timeless Bronze .78 OC) and do one or two passes with no touch-up.

Whatever the result, it is never painful nor offensive to my Lovely Bride. ;)

I shave because I enjoy the process and the sensation of shaving, and because my Lovely Bride enjoys my clean shaven face.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :cool:

I’m still a relative newbie with a straight. Have not gotten to BBS yet, but my experience to date is that I shouldn’t chase it. Not overly anyway. In particular 2 areas are resistant - either side of my Adam’s apple where the hair grows sideways, and my upper lip where it seems like the hairs are significantly harder to cut then anywhere else on my face. My cheeks and some portions of the neck are much easier. So I typically am rating 60% BBS, 80% BBS. Currently putting it down to combo of technique, tools and prep, so hoping that things improve with time. Meantime, I also think that an irritation-free shave is a success, regardless of how close it is.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The one variable in the BBS chasing is that everyone's skin and stubble are very different. Some people have well behaved stubble that goes in a consistent direction for each section of their shave. And for those people, yes, good prep and proper technique can yield a BBS on a regular basis. However, for me, i have a couple of spots on my neck where the hairs swirl in a circle pattern, and lay flat to the skin in some spots. I have been at this a long time. I have a lot of high end and vintage razors. And I know how to prep and practice proper technique. But there are just those days where no matter how hard i go at it, and no matter how much I buff and j-hook and work all those trouble spots, I cant get them totally clean. So even though I get a BBS result on 95% of my face, I normally will still have a few little rough patches when I rub against the grain in those trouble spots. When I measure a BBS, I use the cotton ball test. Take a cotton ball and rub it on your face in all 4 directions. If any cotton gets pulled, even a little, its not a true BBS result. Every once is a while, all the stars align, and I can get a true BBS. One way to potentially get there for me is with a Charcoal Goods Level 3 razor and a really sharp blade. But I can not use that all the time, as my skin will get sensitive to multiple uses of a razor with that much blade feel. So do I chase the BBS? Not every day. But, I have been know to spend lots of time and money in the pursuit of it. Do I care if I dont get it? Not really. But when I achieve a true cotton ball tested BBS, its a thing of beauty, because it is such a rare occurrence for me.

The one variable in the BBS chasing is that everyone's skin and stubble are very different. Some people have well behaved stubble that goes in a consistent direction for each section of their shave. And for those people, yes, good prep and proper technique can yield a BBS on a regular basis. However, for me, i have a couple of spots on my neck where the hairs swirl in a circle pattern, and lay flat to the skin in some spots. I have been at this a long time. I have a lot of high end and vintage razors. And I know how to prep and practice proper technique. But there are just those days where no matter how hard i go at it, and no matter how much I buff and j-hook and work all those trouble spots, I cant get them totally clean. So even though I get a BBS result on 95% of my face, I normally will still have a few little rough patches when I rub against the grain in those trouble spots. When I measure a BBS, I use the cotton ball test. Take a cotton ball and rub it on your face in all 4 directions. If any cotton gets pulled, even a little, its not a true BBS result. Every once is a while, all the stars align, and I can get a true BBS. One way to potentially get there for me is with a Charcoal Goods Level 3 razor and a really sharp blade. But I can not use that all the time, as my skin will get sensitive to multiple uses of a razor with that much blade feel. So do I chase the BBS? Not every day. But, I have been know to spend lots of time and money in the pursuit of it. Do I care if I dont get it? Not really. But when I achieve a true cotton ball tested BBS, its a thing of beauty, because it is such a rare occurrence for me.

I think I have achieved true BBS maybe 4 times in my life.

I almost always go for BBS And usually achieve it I also shave daily. It took me a while to get there but I found blades that are smooth so they don’t irritate me and an excellent mild razor and I have learned how to make a good lather. Of course my technique has improved as well.

I almost always go for BBS And usually achieve it I also shave daily. It took me a while to get there but I found blades that are smooth so they don’t irritate me and an excellent mild razor and I have learned how to make a good lather. Of course my technique has improved as well.
Would you mind sharing what razor/blade combo gives you the BBS?

I don't obsess over a BBS, I could spend half the day checking every square centimeter of my face to see if I feel any hairs there. I do two passes and 95% of my face feels smooth, that's good enough to me. Why try and do 5 passes in every direction for minimal improvement in the result but more chance for irritation?

Hey gents,

Thank you all for voting and some great comments so far on this subject.

One thing I’ve noticed though is that some of you felt the need to “justify” why you are not aiming for the BBS.

So, I just want to clarify and affirm that this thread and subsequent poll are aimed SOLELY at examining how easy/difficult it is for wet-shavers to obtain a BBS. That's all.

It is in NO WAY intended to judge or advocate why you should or should not aim for a BBS shave. I am interested in the statistical facts, not motives. I presuppose everyone knows what's the best for them and have no intentions of convincing anyone why they should or shouldn't go for the BBS. That's the topic for another thread, one I have no desire to participate in.

Top Bottom