What's new

Is BBS "a chase" for you?

BBS is...

• easy to get, given the proper technique & prep

Votes: 88 76.5%
  • impossible to get without irritation

Votes: 27 23.5%

• Total voters
I shave everyday. I usually get a DFS, sometimes I get a BBS. I don’t really care as long as I’m well shaved. I’m going to get 5 O’clock shadow and shave tomorrow anyway. My best shaves are not always BBS, it’s the scent of the soap/cream, the feel of the brush, a great razor performing, the satisfaction of it all coming together.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Life is so much nicer if you can hug your loved ones without hurting them.

Two questions, Arne:

1. How long did it take you to learn to achieve daily, irritation-free shaves on straight razors and safety razors?

2. How long did it take you to learn how to hug your loved ones without crushing their ribs/spine?

I voted easy with proper prep and technique but I will say I find it much easier when I don't chase it. If I set out for BBS I'm much more likely to get a less than satisfying result. The gentleman from Razor Emporium has a video in which he says, "go for par." That made sense to me and is now how I approach a shave and I seem to get more consistent and better results since.

I don't chase BBS, but sometimes it happens. My trips outside in the last year have been to the mailbox, grocery store, gas station, and/or post office... all while wearing a mask. DFS is good enough for me. Going beyond that, my shaves go from relaxation to work. For me, there's a thin line between BBS and irritation. And because I shave every day, my results only last 24 hours anyway. So I just aim for a good shave today and a better one tomorrow.

I crave the BBS, especially when shaving my head, but I have to work for it. Since I first started shaving with a safety razor, lots of things changed for me. First, my technique got better, and that's probably the most important thing. I upgraded from a mild starter razor to a mild/semi-mild slant. My blades changed from Treet Platinum (good for beginners, not overly sharp but smooth) to a Nacet. In addition, I started acquiring better soaps.

I went from having some razor burn to very minor/virtually none at all. However, there are parts of my head that require many passes, in all directions (WTG, XTG, ATG several times each) for some reason. My hair just seems to be extra course in those patches. With the right blade and razor, this isn't much of an issue as for the razor burn. However, it does prolong my shave, especially when compared to others.

My face is totally a different story. With a Nacet and my slant or even my adjustable, it's one ATG pass, and then, I'm done. When I first started, this required a WTG, XTG, and a ATG. Of course, that could also be the result of what I read when starting out. I didn't want to screw up, so I did everything "by the book".

I believe it’s a matter of proper technique (including preparation), so it’s a struggle for me.
Why do you feel it's a struggle?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether it's a struggle due to (lack of) technique / understanding of the shaving process or specific gear or certain product. I'm always interested in learning why fellow shavers struggle to get a nice shave, especially if they're not newbies.

Technique is foundational, but the tool plays a significant part as well. I have about 8 razors that, with the right blade, will deliver BBS every time when I do my part. The others, well, pretty much an exercise in futility.
I agree with you.

Would you mind sharing what razors give you easy BBS? Perhaps also those that don't.

Always nice to learn smth. new.

I like trying to get the smoothest result I can. It seems like excellence to me, and I want that, especially for the time and effort invested in the action.

Some areas usually end up BBS, and some areas almost never do (and when those tougher areas do, irritation tends to be present in some form or another).

I am still learning how I react to various techniques as well as hardware and software. I am only six months in to this tradition/hobby.

My goal is to be able to get daily BBS results nearly everywhere without sacrificing comfort. I accept that my neck may never be that good every day. I hold out hope for my chin(s) though. :a8:

Like many others seem to suggest, everything (including ultimate results) seems to go better for me if I chill out and just enjoy the ride.

Two questions, Arne:

1. How long did it take you to learn to achieve daily, irritation-free shaves on straight razors and safety razors?

2. How long did it take you to learn how to hug your loved ones without crushing their ribs/spine?
It's harder to get a BBS with a DE razor since it has built in limits set there to make shaving easier. There are some more aggressive DE razors that makes it easier to get a BBS, but it comes at the cost of requiring better technique and more care. I've had my face set on fire by the R41 2011, but generally my DE shaves were good. I can't remember how long it took me to get consistentently nice BBS shaves with a DE, but I guess a year or so.

When I started to shave with straight razors seven days a week, and not just on the weekends, it didn't take more than a month or two until I was getting BBS results on a daily basis. A straight razor give you the possibility to adjust to every part of your face. IA straight razor is like an adjustable DE razor with infinite adjustability if that makes any sense.

The answer to your second question is easy: Love hurts:devil:

BBS for me is BS. I really have no interest. If I was a woman, maybe bbs would be more important. Stubble is manly.
I typically do two pass shave and in those directions I am basically bbs, but not by design. I enjoy rubbing my stubble during the day, makes me feel like a samurai :a24:
So am I not manly since I have no stubble? 🤣

I agree a stubble is nice, but I hate it on my head since I'm slightly balding. My personal preference would not be to accentuate that. If I could grow a decent looking 5 o'clock shadow (the hair growth on my cheeks seems a little patchy to me), I would.

Top Bottom