What's new

Is Arko truly superior to Williams?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Don't encourage him! Next thing ya know that @rbscebu will jump in and we'll have to make them go to opposite corners!
ARKO has been part of my daily SR shaving routine for about two years now. I once looked into trying Williams a while ago but the cheapest available to me was over USD 30 per puck. I just don't believe that Williams is 15 times better than our much loved ARKO.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
ARKO has been part of my daily SR shaving routine for about two years now. I once looked into trying Williams a while ago but the cheapest available to me was over USD 30 per puck. I just don't believe that Williams is 15 times better than our much loved ARKO.
My friend, I believe you are absolutely correct.

And I also don't for a second believe that we have seen the last of Williams puck soap. If it has to be made in China to turn a profit, it will rise up out of the ashes.... like a "Phoenix"......if you understand me...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My friend, I believe you are absolutely correct.

And I also don't for a second believe that we have seen the last of Williams puck soap. If it has to be made in China to turn a profit, it will rise up out of the ashes.... like a "Phoenix"......if you understand me...
Perish the thought

I would rather shave with Palmolive dish soap than Arko. 😜

William‘s is less bad than Arko IMO but it is nothing great. People will begin to pay stupid money for it now as it is apparently discontinued. It is a good $2 soap.

I use William‘s from time to time and it is fine but dries my skin. I honestly can’t use Arko as that strong citronella scent gives me an instant headache.

I would rather shave with Palmolive dish soap than Arko. 😜

William‘s is less bad than Arko IMO but it is nothing great. People will begin to pay stupid money for it now as it is apparently discontinued. It is a good $2 soap.

I use William‘s from time to time and it is fine but dries my skin. I honestly can’t use Arko as that strong citronella scent gives me an instant headache.
$2.00!?! You're overpaying! It was $1.50 when my grocery store had it

The scent and the post shave feeling of the Williams are better than Arko, but the lather quality of Arko is much better for me at least. You can also use Arko on your face and work your brush on the Williams and then combine both directly on your face. That way you get the best of both soaps and the combo is pretty good.
Hi Medivh, Until a couple of days ago my Arko experience was based on a single puck made in 2016 with limited scent that I felt overall performed in similar fashion to Williams for me. Just got a box of 12 Arko sticks a couple of days age with a much stronger aroma that I like as I do the aroma from Williams. Experience with Williams is that after a couple weeks in an open mug there is almost no aroma at all. Does your Arko aroma hold up better over time?

P.S. Find the lather quality similar though I use a stiffer boar with the Williams and a softer synthetic brush for Arko. Need to manage water closely for Williams (avoid too much dilution) while Arko appears to be a thirstier soap.

Hi Medivh, Until a couple of days ago my Arko experience was based on a single puck made in 2016 with limited scent that I felt overall performed in similar fashion to Williams for me. Just got a box of 12 Arko sticks a couple of days age with a much stronger aroma that I like as I do the aroma from Williams. Experience with Williams is that after a couple weeks in an open mug there is almost no aroma at all. Does your Arko aroma hold up better over time?

P.S. Find the lather quality similar though I use a stiffer boar with the Williams and a softer synthetic brush for Arko. Need to manage water closely for Williams (avoid too much dilution) while Arko appears to be a thirstier soap.

Yeah, too much water and it's very hard to make a good lather with Williams while Arko is as thirsty as a desert camel :D. I think the aroma fades a bit over time in when the soap is open, but it keeps its strength when is sealed for quite a while.

YES... that said, I am on my second stick of Arko, which I stopped using because it lacked any slickness. This is a mystery because the first Arko stick from the same order was perfect and super slick.

Also, someone mentioned that Williams dries out if not used daily. My solution is to bloom the puck in hot water for a few minutes while I shower, and then pour off the water before lathering - then it's good as new. I also do this with Tabac and MWF if not used daily.

The scent and the post shave feeling of the Williams are better than Arko, but the lather quality of Arko is much better for me at least. You can also use Arko on your face and work your brush on the Williams and then combine both directly on your face. That way you get the best of both soaps and the combo is pretty good.

I grated Williams and Arko into a container mixed together. I agree you get the best of both. I call it WillArko.

YES... that said, I am on my second stick of Arko, which I stopped using because it lacked any slickness. This is a mystery because the first Arko stick from the same order was perfect and super slick.

Also, someone mentioned that Williams dries out if not used daily. My solution is to bloom the puck in hot water for a few minutes while I shower, and then pour off the water before lathering - then it's good as new. I also do this with Tabac and MWF if not used daily.
Oops, I meant to say NO!

Arko and or Williams have never dried out for me, one thing that truly stinks is Williams is once again discontinued, the nice thing is that I have 5 pucks of it, and I have been seeing it for sale locally at my grocery store, for the money it's an amazing soap, with that being said, I might have to take the plunge and try a arko stick smashed into a puck, but we will see.

Hi GaryTha, A serious response to what is intended as a humorous post. See my first post (#24) on this thread, from a user experience perspective I see the two soaps as very similar "old school" shaving soaps both in performance and in original price points.

It is funny though, now that Williams is discontinued, it's price has jumped by an order of magnitude.
Serious responses to humorous posts are often humorous.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wilko

Use one for a month straight....then the other.

A magical lather here and there is not how I would rank performance.

As @nemo said, there are much better soaps out there.

No one wanted Williams a couple years ago, now that it is discontinued (or is it), everyone wants it again.

As long as any form of Proraso is being made, I'd take that over both as my inexpensive soap.
If nobody wanted Williams, why was it consistently the best seller on Amazon?

If nobody wanted Williams, why was it consistently the best seller on Amazon?
That was never my point. But I believe people used Williams for its availability and price point. B&B was never really pro-modern-Williams. Like every other soap that gets discontinued, people get nostalgic after it's gone.

Using a soap for 1 shave and then claiming it's awesome and we should all run out and buy it, is premature. I've seen it too many times to count or remember.

I stand by my post and still believe there are a ton of better soaps out there.

Top Bottom