What's new

Is Arko the best for cheapskates?

For someone who is a working college student, is Arko the best possible deal in terms of frugality? On Amazon, I can get a pack of 2 Arko sticks for like $5.50 with free shipping, and for even less if I order a pack of 12.

Any other products a student like me should try?

So far, I've found tubes of Godrej shaving cream for like $3 at some Indian grocery stores, and also Bigelow cream for like $10 at Bath & Body Works.

If you are trying to be frugal, you can add Van Der Hagen and Williams Mug Soap to the list. For their price points they are still good quality soaps at a lower price. Certainly you are getting what you pay for, but Arko is a go to for it's performance and price for a lot of us.

For the price, it's really hard to beat Arko. Considering the relatively high-quality lather it produces, they practically give it away.

Actually, a 1kg brick of Cella is available for roughly $30 delivered from TVBshaving.com (buy more stuff to spread the €15 shipping fees even further). 1kg of Arko sticks run about $37 @ $5.50 a 150g pair - so a Cella brick would be a bit cheaper over time.

Arko's one of my fav. I made a menthol version using menthol crystals and green food coloring, very cheap to make.

Wait, wasn't Williams Mug Soap discontinued?
I find the stuff to be very slick, but hardly latherable, unless is someone adds Glycerin to it.

And yeah, the Indian market I shopped at has Godrej and Old Spice Lather Creams, all tubes being $3

Williams demise was rumored last summer. But to paraphrase Mark Twain - The reports of "Williams" death have been greatly exaggerated.

Still made & available, I've seen it in the last couple of weeks at my local drugstore.

In the US, I can get a case of Arko (12 sticks@900g) for $12.99 (Amazon Prime). The Cella 1Kg block is more expensive in the US, though still a good deal ($32 delivered). Both give me excellent shaves, but the Cella scent may be more to your liking. I like both. Either would probably cover close to 3 years of shaving. Both are soft enough to mash into whatever type of container you'd like.

I tried Arko for the first time today. I smothered a layer of Arko on my face using the stick and then face lathered away. I was super impressed with Arko, as it produced a thick creamy lather with nice slickness. If you buy a box of 12, it would have to be one of the best deals going around.

Some don't like its scent, but I'm not troubled by a scent of a soap and can use almost anything as long as it performs. The scent is OK - its fresh and soapy - so I can appreciate it. IMO, its a top performer and beats alternative products around the same price range.

for soap wise and being cheap Italian barber amici its 2.99 cents for 125 ml thats what 4 ounces i think? very fresh great scent and it really performs good. arko is another great soap as well. for shaving cream i would say arko and derby are the best deals.

Legion

Staff member
Yup, Arko is, IMO, best bang for buck. The other option is Euro Palmolive, but that is only if you are near Europe.

I bought a bunch of more expensive soaps before I finally tried Arko and it really puts a lot of more expensive soaps to shame. It's the soap I use for travel and I have no plans to swap it out. Everyone should have Arko in their shaving supplies.

I'm a big fan of a bowl of porasso at $10 It will likely last you a year or more, depending on your habits. And that really is the question, how long will 12 sticks of arko last? Or are you looking to group buy with a bunch of folks near you? Also how much space do you have to store all that extra soap?

Last edited:
I think Arko is definitely the best in the ultra-low-price category. Williams, Van Der Hagen, and Nivea cream have a similar prices. But I don't think Williams and Van Der Hagen perform as well. Nivea does, but it has a weird smell.

The ARKO is good stuff!

Granted that I have other soaps that I go back and forth with, but I have been using the same stick since July (I chopped it up and formed a proper "Puck" with it) and I still have at least a month left with it.

Then I have 6 more sticks in reserve!

Speick is also a wonderful budget product. Herbal lavender scent.

I know it is fun to try new products, but the purchase of just a few budget soaps probably costs more than the purchase of a single premium soap.

If I want to keep cost down? I can shave with say Ivory soap or Dove and I get great shaves with these two soaps. But yeah Arko is a great deal and as you can see it`s loved by lots of people.

Actually, a 1kg brick of Cella is available for roughly $30 delivered from TVBshaving.com (buy more stuff to spread the €15 shipping fees even further). 1kg of Arko sticks run about $37 @ $5.50 a 150g pair - so a Cella brick would be a bit cheaper over time.

12 Arko sticks = 900g can be had for $13 on Amazon.

Top Bottom