What's new

Is AoS Shaving Soap tallow based?

+1

I will never buy an AoS soap. I'm not going to pay for the CEO's multimillion dollar salary, or ditzy salesgirls who want us to buy a new brush every three month (although I bet it's still cheaper than three months of Gillette Power Pro Fusion cartridges - lol!)

My money is going to the salary of Pierre L'Occitane, Geo Trumper VI, or that Italian guy that makes Proraso. :thumbup1:

You do know that L'Occitane is owned by Clarins Paris which is a multimillion company?

You do know that L'Occitane is owned by Clarins Paris which is a multimillion company?

I love it when people rant about CEOs making too much money and then get shut down! Personally I will buy AoS products (if I like them). Are they over priced? On most things, but I want AoS to expand to every mall in the world.

"Why?" you ask!

Well, it's because I'm enjoying our hobby. I want manufacturers and vendors to see this as a profitable market segment. When they realize that there is money to be made in this arena, then more companies will come in competing with better products and reduced pricing. People complaining about companies making a profit (and rewarding the executives whose decisions drive those profits) are short sighted.

It doesn't matter whether you are AoS or Westcoastshaving.com the goal is to make money. West Coast Shaving (and many other of our preferred vendors) does this through a combination of price, and service. AoS does this through convenience and selling the "Luxury" experience. They are different business models, but both are valid and important.

Mike

I also just got AOS unscented soap at Nordstrom's in Indianapolis, and tried it for the first time yesterday. I should probably wait to try it again before saying this, but it may be the best soap ever - slick and cushiony beyond any I have tried.

Well, I suppose technically waiting is the "proper" thing to do; but, naw...AoS is a flat out awesome soap that can hold its own with any competitor, IMHO. :thumbup:

+1

I will never buy an AoS soap. I'm not going to pay for the CEO's multimillion dollar salary, or ditzy salesgirls who want us to buy a new brush every three month (although I bet it's still cheaper than three months of Gillette Power Pro Fusion cartridges - lol!)

My money is going to the salary of Pierre L'Occitane, Geo Trumper VI, or that Italian guy that makes Proraso. :thumbup1:

I hear you, but I think it's more important to have a good product/product line available. The more AoS products that are sold, the more likely they are to stay for sale. I don't like what Gillette did to Gillette before P&G took them over, but I'll still buy their most excellent Indian and Russian-made blades. Millions of dollars will go into CEO pockets regardless, so why not enjoy a good product? It's not like they're BP or Union Carbide. They choice to buy or not is always ours, and it's good to have the choice. There is nothing wrong with either.

I hear you, but I think it's more important to have a good product/product line available. The more AoS products that are sold, the more likely they are to stay for sale. I don't like what Gillette did to Gillette before P&G took them over, but I'll still buy their most excellent Indian and Russian-made blades. Millions of dollars will go into CEO pockets regardless, so why not enjoy a good product? It's not like they're BP or Union Carbide. They choice to buy or not is always ours, and it's good to have the choice. There is nothing wrong with either.

Bob, I think you are wrong. In almost every instance the choice to buy is yours. If you disagree with a companies business practices are out of line with your personal beliefs, then you definitely have the option to patronize another business.

BP is not the only game in town, neither was Exxon. This mentality is what is killing our nation and world. The thought that a person should not be paid what the market will support is insanity. Just like it is rare to find a Cal Ripken, it is equally rare to find a Henry Ford.

If you make it less appealing to be a brilliant CEO, how are you going to attract the top talent? Why is it so popular these days to demonize people who do well? I respect people who work hard, and make it into executive positions. These people give up many things, the biggest one is typically time with their families. Anyone who is in a management position will tell you that it is not uncommon to get an e-mail from their boss/executive in the late hours of the night. Executives (much like the president) don't get time off, they get time when they don't have to focus exclusively on their job.

Two years ago I was laid off from my job as a Network Engineer. I am self educated, have no degree, and have had to work twice as hard to make it. 16 month ago I was able to get a contract at a very large company, work a normal M-F 8-5. Today I am an "acting" executive (basically I am doing the work of an executive until they decide who is going to get the position permanently), it has given me a whole new level of respect for the hours executives put in. I sleep an average of four hours a night, and tend to eat most meals with either my laptop open, or iPhone in hand.

It's amazing to me when I see people who work 9-5 and don't have to think about work outside of those hours complain about the pay of people who put in at least double the hours they do. These are the people who create the opportunities, that create the jobs, that these ***** about at the bar.

Mike

I'm sorry to rant like this, but the childish remarks are really getting to me. This week I've left my house before my kids were awake, and come home after they were in bed every day. For someone who knows nothing about the life or work ethic of another person to make the stupid statements I've been hearing lately, well it pisses me off.

Mike, Sorry if I wasn't clear. I agree, we always have the choice to buy or not, and the choice one makes has to be right for you. I like AoS soaps and will buy them, in part to give P&G the reason to make more. Others may choose otherwise, and there is nothing wrong with the choice. It's not an executive salary or other issue for me. People get paid what someone is willing to pay them. So be it. I have other things that influence whether or not I patronize a business.

I will say it again though, AoS soaps are awesome! :biggrin1:

Bob, I think you are wrong. In almost every instance the choice to buy is yours. If you disagree with a companies business practices are out of line with your personal beliefs, then you definitely have the option to patronize another business.

BP is not the only game in town, neither was Exxon. This mentality is what is killing our nation and world. The thought that a person should not be paid what the market will support is insanity. Just like it is rare to find a Cal Ripken, it is equally rare to find a Henry Ford.

If you make it less appealing to be a brilliant CEO, how are you going to attract the top talent? Why is it so popular these days to demonize people who do well? I respect people who work hard, and make it into executive positions. These people give up many things, the biggest one is typically time with their families. Anyone who is in a management position will tell you that it is not uncommon to get an e-mail from their boss/executive in the late hours of the night. Executives (much like the president) don't get time off, they get time when they don't have to focus exclusively on their job.

Two years ago I was laid off from my job as a Network Engineer. I am self educated, have no degree, and have had to work twice as hard to make it. 16 month ago I was able to get a contract at a very large company, work a normal M-F 8-5. Today I am an "acting" executive (basically I am doing the work of an executive until they decide who is going to get the position permanently), it has given me a whole new level of respect for the hours executives put in. I sleep an average of four hours a night, and tend to eat most meals with either my laptop open, or iPhone in hand.

It's amazing to me when I see people who work 9-5 and don't have to think about work outside of those hours complain about the pay of people who put in at least double the hours they do. These are the people who create the opportunities, that create the jobs, that these ***** about at the bar.

Mike

I'm sorry to rant like this, but the childish remarks are really getting to me. This week I've left my house before my kids were awake, and come home after they were in bed every day. For someone who knows nothing about the life or work ethic of another person to make the stupid statements I've been hearing lately, well it pisses me off.

Good job here. You're seeing the bigger picture and calling out the brainwashing on display which is being handed out straight from Washington and the media with rhetoric directed at many of the mindless lemmings we call "fellow citizens." Success is made synonymous with evil and the average man is further stripped from his motivation and pride. I agree, this attitude seems to be becoming more and more pervasive these days.

There are two groups of people in this world, servants and masters. It's gonna be funny the day that the population is finally seduced into slavery by the republic. This process has already started and it's only a matter of time at this point. We only have ourselves to blame.

Do you really think there is any diference between the CEO of PG and that of Pierre L'Occitane et al? There is a disconnect between the manufacturing of products and the sales of the product. There is alot of c**p out there that has great marketing and everyone buy's it. ie: McDonalds, Fusion, Coke and on and on.

AOS is a good product. I am not going to stop buying it because a ditzy blond with alot of air between her ears may be trying to sell the product. Is it her fault she doesn't use the product because she's the wrong gender or her employer has made no effort at all to educate her? I am grateful that they have a brick and morter store near me so if I have the impulse to buy a puck of soap, I don't have to log on and then wait a few days for the product. This is a real change from the way we have to buy most of our stuff.

Good job here. You're seeing the bigger picture and calling out the brainwashing on display which is being handed out straight from Washington and the media with rhetoric directed at many of the mindless lemmings we call "fellow citizens." Success is made synonymous with evil and the average man is further stripped from his motivation and pride. I agree, this attitude seems to be becoming more and more pervasive these days.

There are two groups of people in this world, servants and masters. It's gonna be funny the day that the population is finally seduced into slavery by the republic. This process has already started and it's only a matter of time at this point. We only have ourselves to blame.

Wow...how did a thread about Tallow soap go so far down the rabbit hole? :lol:

Wow...how did a thread about Tallow soap go so far down the rabbit hole? :lol:

Sorry I took it down there :blushing:, It's been a LONG week, and I've grown increasingly aggravated with this attitude. I guess it had to come out eventually.

Bob,
Sorry that I took your post the wrong way, I really don't mean to offend anyone. However, I think we (the non-whiners) have to start standing up to these types of attitudes. We've spent generations just shaking our heads, knowing that these are the types of people that would never make it in business. In the mean time these people have so thoroughly infected the education system that the younger generations think they are owed an executive position and salary because they got good grades in college.

It's a mad mad world,
Mike

Sorry I took it down there :blushing:, It's been a LONG week, and I've grown increasingly aggravated with this attitude. I guess it had to come out eventually.

Bob,
Sorry that I took your post the wrong way, I really don't mean to offend anyone. However, I think we (the non-whiners) have to start standing up to these types of attitudes. We've spent generations just shaking our heads, knowing that these are the types of people that would never make it in business. In the mean time these people have so thoroughly infected the education system that the younger generations think they are owed an executive position and salary because they got good grades in college.

It's a mad mad world,
Mike

No problem and no offense taken. Sounds like a tough week, but tomorrow is Friday! :thumbup1:

I love it when people rant about CEOs making too much money and then get shut down! Personally I will buy AoS products (if I like them). Are they over priced? On most things, but I want AoS to expand to every mall in the world.

"Why?" you ask!

Well, it's because I'm enjoying our hobby. I want manufacturers and vendors to see this as a profitable market segment. When they realize that there is money to be made in this arena, then more companies will come in competing with better products and reduced pricing. People complaining about companies making a profit (and rewarding the executives whose decisions drive those profits) are short sighted.

It doesn't matter whether you are AoS or Westcoastshaving.com the goal is to make money. West Coast Shaving (and many other of our preferred vendors) does this through a combination of price, and service. AoS does this through convenience and selling the "Luxury" experience. They are different business models, but both are valid and important.

Mike

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. The poster before me made a comment that he would not support AoS because they were now owned by Gillette. Instead, he would support l'Occitane, Trumpers etc. that were, in his opinion, smaller companies. My post was simply to state the l'Occitane also was part of a multimillion dollars a year conglomerate just as pretty much everything else these days. I was not making any judgement or statement, good or bad, of corporate ownership of my favourite products.

As a whole, I do agree with you.

Wow this turned out to be a hell of a thread. Gentlemen there's never a dull moment here on B&B. :biggrin1:

As far as the soap goes I have not had the pleasure of trying it yet. I have only tried there creams, sandlewood to be exact. The scent was phenomenal and the performance was good. I have read that the scents are a bit muted when it come to the soaps. Is this true?

On it Jim!

Back on subject... I have to say that my wet shaving jouney is only a couple of weeks old. My brother was the one who sucked me into this, and per his sugestion I started with the C.O. Bigelow green tube. It was a great experience, but I didn't like having to use a seperate bowl, and it took some work to get a great thick lather.

So, after the way my Monday started (car wreck) I decided to go to AoS, and get a little something. What I ended up with was the Sandlewood soap in a nice wooden bowl.

My impression is that it lathers up quickly and produces a nice thick lather. It cushions my face perfectly, and clears from my razor better than the Bigelow. Also, it leaves my face very well moisturized. The only spot where I think the Bigelow beats it is the way my face feels afterwards, but that is just due to the menthol in it.

Mike

I like their products, although I agree they're expensive. If you don't like messing with the AOS store, I know that drugstore.com sells their stuff. Also, Nordstrom carries the creams and the unscented soap (not sure why they don't carry the other soaps). Beware, AOS and Jack Black reps are often there lurking about ready to pounce and hard-sell their wares.

Top Bottom