What's new

Is anyone not happy with the Game Changer .84

I find the GC .84 to be a little more efficient than the NEW LC.

It also feels a little more aggressive, but not uncomfortably so.

I have 68 and 84. The first is good for every day, the second in a day or more. I will leave both of them, they are magnificent.

Gentlemen,

Thanks to everyone's informative posts, I've finally pulled the trigger on a GC .84-P with Barber Pole handle. It came back into stock today, so I thought I'd better buy it before it sold out again.

I also bought a RR Old Type OC with Bulldog handle. I'm thinking of using the GC and Old Type in combination, sort of like the way I use my current Slim Adjustable/Ball-End Tech combo (i.e. 2-3 passes with the Slim and a touchup pass with the Tech). We'll see how that goes.

I love my GC with the .68P & .84P plates. Both work well for my needs for every day use. The .84-P is just as smooth as the .68-P & gives a slightly closer shave. The only issue I've had with the .84-P is some neck irritation. But have only experience this issue once.

I had the 68, too mild for a tough beard, sold it. I will consider getting the 84, really like the razor, but 68 took 3-4 passes. Time waster, need more cutting.

I recently sold my GC 84. I just prefer the 84 OC a lot more. It somehow feels smoother and slightly more efficient to me and thats while feeling milder. It’s still an awesome razor though and a really good deal.

I had the 68, too mild for a tough beard, sold it. I will consider getting the 84, really like the razor, but 68 took 3-4 passes. Time waster, need more cutting.
I felt the same, the 68 was not efficient enough for me. The 84 is a significant step up imho.

The .84 was the first D.E. razor I purchased and while I liked it, I found it a bit aggressive. I purchased a .68 complete razor and traded the .84 top cap and base plate for a Mamba .53 that I'm still playing with. I like both of these and would guess there is a reasonable possibility that I'll grab another .84 baseplate at some point down the road when I have my technique dialed in, there's no question it was a substantially more efficient razor than the other two I now have, but it definitely gave me some irritation but I wonder how much of that was technique related.

I've had really good results with the GC 84 and Perma-Sharp blades - VERY smooth, and pretty darned efficient. I have a very coarse beard, and sensitive skin, so has been a struggle to find a combination that works...

I liked it but much prefered the .68. a lot smoother and more comfortable while still having enough efficiency. As far as mid aggressive razors. I find the tatara Masamune and colonial Silversmith to be superior the .84 in both smoothness and efficiency.

I have the .68 and .84 in SB, and the .84 OC and Jaws. Of all of them, I like the .84 SB best. I mostly pair it with KAI blades. That combo really hits the sweet spot of high hacking power with minimal irritation, for my skin.

While I love the .84 SB, as to the others, I enjoy having them and the .84 OC gets some use, but I could live w/o them if it came to that. .68 requires too many passes. The .84 OC and Jaws are significantly more aggressive than the SB and leave my skin feeling a bit raw during the day.

The .84 SB is my favorite razor & I can't think of any complaints, other than that blade loading is unconventional and a bit of a PITA.

Last edited:
Good god no. I love my .84 CC for head shaving. I got one right out of the chute and love it. I bought a .84 OC and .84 JAWS when available. I pretty much only use the JAWS for head shaving now but truly love the closed comb when my nugget is feeling a little tender. I alternate between Feathers, Gillette Silver Blues, Rapira Platinum Luxes and Voskhods.

Tostig in the above post does have a legitimate gripe about the unconventional loading. I find it a little annoying too.

I have a .68 OC that I'm very happy with. I'm desperate to find the SB 84 or Jaws base plate alone, but they seem to be sold out absolutely everywhere. :sad:

I started with a GC .68 plate and didn’t like it. Had to make to many passes. Traded for a .84 plate and it’s now my most used razor. In fact I’ve used it daily since December 22nd. I find that I don’t reach for my Rex, Timeless or vintage Gillette’s anymore. The GC .84 just works and with no irritation for my face. I’m almost to the point where I may sell my Timeless since it sees no use these days.
I've been sitting on the fence you've just convinced me.Thank you for putting my mind at rest.Merry Christmas.

Top Bottom