What's new

Is anyone not happy with the Game Changer .84

I hear you....but I have yet to see the base plates available on their own. Might as well have an extra handle, don't you think? Ha.
No the .84 base plate was in stock when I ordered the GC .68P on 9/27 & according to Italian Barber they might be in stock again late Oct/early Nov.

No the .84 base plate was in stock when I ordered the GC .68P on 9/27 & according to Italian Barber they might be in stock again late Oct/early Nov.

I stand corrected. Every time I've messed around, the plate was/has been out of stock. Luck of the draw!

I have had excellent shaves with this razor and I’ve had mediocre shaves. I can’t seem to get a consistent shaves. I have used several blades and can’t quite nail it down.

I’m sorry that your shaves have not been consistently good. My experience with it has only been my last 5 shaves and all have been excellent.

Just finished my first shave with the GC .84 OC. Used a brand new Personna Lab Blue and for a moment, I thought it wasn't cutting any whiskers. So smooth that got me wondering if I was doing something wrong. One WTG, two XTG and a clean up. No problems.

This one is a keeper.

I have to admit that I had not used the GC84 in a little while,but I gave it a go yesterday. I think a year ago, I would have been happy with the outcome, but yesterday, it just felt a touch too close and aggresive. Good final result, but too much burn on AS application. My shaves with GC68, SLOC, Masamune and Lupo are lightyears more comfortable without giving up much in the final product. So I put the 84 up for sale...along with a couple of Fatips that I consider similarly too aggressive for me.

I stand corrected. Every time I've messed around, the plate was/has been out of stock. Luck of the draw!
The GC .84 plate is in stock right now. Even though I love using the GC 68 plate for every day use I just ordered the GC .84 plate.

The .84 was too aggressive for me so I sold it. The .68, on the other hand, is perfection for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had both the .84 and the .68 and sold both. The .84 was a little too aggressive for me and the .68 just wasn't that much different from my other razors that I loved it. They are great razors for the price and their fit and finish are excellent for their price point, but just wasn't for me.

The .84 was too aggressive for me so I sold it. The .68, on the other hand, is perfection for me.
I've been pondering whether to try a GC .84 or .68.

I understand that the .84 is considered aggressive and the .68 is considered mild. But, exactly how aggressive is the .84 compared to something like a Gillette Slim Adjustable set to 9? When I use my Slim, I do my first pass on 9, and the second and third on 7.

(I'm sure that someone will suggest that I get both for "testing purposes". Maybe buying a .68 razor plus a .84 base plate is the logical solution. :001_smile )

^
I'm thinking of doing the same logical solution, but the problem is that it never seems that the two razors / plates are available at the same time.

I prefer the Game Changer 0.68; my Slim/Fatboy preference is a 3-4, and at present my favorite SuperSpeed is the flare tip (trying a Milord shortly) rather than a red tip (although I'm getting used to the red tip).

We’re getting more into personal taste/preference at this point and I know you’re wondering about the .84 SB, but I’d say a Slim on 9 is more aggressive than even the .84 OC.

I consider the .84 OC to be as efficient but slightly more aggressive than a NEW LC, the LC being the smoothest OC I’ve tried so far. If that gives any reference point.

Any of the GC plates could easily be daily drivers...even the OCs, with a practiced hand.

I picked up a .68 back toward when they were first released. Love it.

We’re getting more into personal taste/preference at this point and I know you’re wondering about the .84 SB, but I’d say a Slim on 9 is more aggressive than even the .84 OC.

I consider the .84 OC to be as efficient but slightly more aggressive than a NEW LC, the LC being the smoothest OC I’ve tried so far. If that gives any reference point.

Any of the GC plates could easily be daily drivers...even the OCs, with a practiced hand.

I picked up a .68 back toward when they were first released. Love it.
This is great information. Thanks very much! I think that I'll be okay with the .84 SB as a daily driver, then.

Now, I just have to wait for the .84 SB with barber pole to come back into stock. I sent an e-mail to Italian Barber and they said that they may not have any until early 2020. Well, maybe I'll buy whichever model is in stock at the moment... that'll give me an excuse to buy the other handles and the .68 base plate later. :biggrin1:

This is great information. Thanks very much! I think that I'll be okay with the .84 SB as a daily driver, then.

Now, I just have to wait for the .84 SB with barber pole to come back into stock. I sent an e-mail to Italian Barber and they said that they may not have any until early 2020. Well, maybe I'll buy whichever model is in stock at the moment... that'll give me an excuse to buy the other handles and the .68 base plate later. :biggrin1:
Don't forget to check the BST, you never know. Ive gotten a GC .84 SB and a Mamba 70 off of it in the last 4 months. I'm very happy with the GC. Excellent shaves. I've also got the OC which is great too. Minimal irritation for both.

I understand that the .84 is considered aggressive and the .68 is considered mild. But, exactly how aggressive is the .84 compared to something like a Gillette Slim Adjustable set to 9? When I use my Slim, I do my first pass on 9, and the second and third on 7.

(I'm sure that someone will suggest that I get both for "testing purposes". Maybe buying a .68 razor plus a .84 base plate is the logical solution. :001_smile )
I bought the GC .68 and also purchased the .84 base plate.

I find the .68 to be similar to a Gillette slim set on 3-4. It’s a smooth, close and comfortable shave. Very nice!

The .84 is more like the slim set on 7. It‘s a similar shave to what I get on a Gillette red tip. The .84 is not terribly aggressive, and it’s a razor I could use every day of the week.

If I had to pick one base plate, I would pick both!

The .84 is more like the slim set on 7. It‘s a similar shave to what I get on a Gillette red tip. The .84 is not terribly aggressive, and it’s a razor I could use every day of the week.

I like your comparison, although I’d say the GC84 delivers the efficiency of a Slim on 8, with the smoothness/comfort of a Slim on 5.

I place the .84 at a 6, OC a 6.4 and Jaws at 6.5.

Made the mistake of buying the .68. Threw a new GSB in it this morning and man that was smoooooth. Honestly, it was hard to tell where it stacked up (to me) efficiency-wise with the .84 but I could definitely discern that it was a little more comfortable. I felt as if I could maneuver easier and it just glided effortlessly. Ended up with a shave that seemed to have similar results as the .84......Need a few more rounds to finalize my take.

After a number of additional shaves with the .68, I've decided that the .84 is the winner. The .68 is definitely smoother but it has difficulty with a few trouble spots of mine and it's just not as close, obviously. Although I need to go a little slower with the .84, it's worth the result.

After a number of additional shaves with the .68, I've decided that the .84 is the winner. The .68 is definitely smoother but it has difficulty with a few trouble spots of mine and it's just not as close, obviously. Although I need to go a little slower with the .84, it's worth the result.
Well said!

Top Bottom