What's new

Is anyone not happy with the Game Changer .84

Just to give an alternative opinion from all but maybe one other poster here, I found the .84 steps over the line into too aggressive for daily use territory, though not by much. I found it possible to get just as close a shave with the .68, which is significantly less aggressive, with just a little more time and effort. However, it's not hard to see why many, maybe with tougher beards and tougher skin, would be very happy with the .84 even on a daily basis. It sure has high build quality and close tolerances and easily produces a close shave.

Well how does the EJ 89 compares to the .68 ? if they are in the same territory, no need for a .68, in my case

If you need more aggressive than the GC84, I seriously recommend the Fatip Grande (OC) or Muhle R41. Super aggressive isn't what RR does with the GC or Mamba lines....

+1

I went open comb a few months ago with Gillette Old Types leading onto Fatip and R41 and I haven't looked back. One of my Old Types is as efficient as the Fatip if not a touch more. Don't leave the Gillette Old Type out of the equation - especially with a modern handle it's a very nice razor.

Well how does the EJ 89 compares to the .68 ? if they are in the same territory, no need for a .68, in my case
I have the MJ-90, which is an EJ 89 clone (but ultralight aluminum and titanium), and the 34C. The GC is an entirely different razor, .68 or .84. A different feel, and more efficient. I can't promise you'll like it more, though.

The .84 has been my daily for quite some time now. I have that and the .64

Not a fan of the DE89 (clones I've tried) or Merkur 34c.

If you need more aggressive than the GC84, I seriously recommend the Fatip Grande (OC) or Muhle R41. Super aggressive isn't what RR does with the GC or Mamba lines....
I have a Karve on C plate and it sits in same boat with GC but thankfully I ordered E&F plates as an after thought but they are still to be posted by Chris. I specifically got both these razors for their rigid blade support. I don't have fatip but I tried a similar head design setup i.e Muhle R41. It didn't work for me due to extremely poor blade support and blade chatter on my beard type.
I am sure either E or F plate on karve will work but if I have to get another GC, it really has to come in wider blade gap than what it is presently.

I have a Karve on C plate and it sits in same boat with GC but thankfully I ordered E&F plates as an after thought but they are still to be posted by Chris. I specifically got both these razors for their rigid blade support. I don't have fatip but I tried a similar head design setup i.e Muhle R41. It didn't work for me due to extremely poor blade support and blade chatter on my beard type.
I am sure either E or F plate on karve will work but if I have to get another GC, it really has to come in wider blade gap than what it is presently.
HereticHermit. The Fatip is super rigid because the blade is clamped extremely close to the cutting edge. Despite the very small gap, these are aggressive razors and then some. I have a very tough and coarse beard and the Gentile mows through my beard with easy and it is the smoothest razor I own. The Grande is yet more efficient. Give them a try.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tonight was going to be the 3rd and perhaps the final time I'll be using the game changer 0.84.

I used a nacet stainless both times previously and I really didn't like the shaves at all. Overly aggressive, too much blade feel and I got razor burn both times.

It did pi$$ed me off a bit as I've been using a sorts of DEs and straights. If I can handle a 15/16 razor how did I mess up using a safety razor.

For the 3rd and perhaps final time I got my face lathered up w arko and loaded a new blade into the GC 0.84. This time the shave was better, I got bbs w no razor burn, the difference... I used a n Astra plat.

I can still feel the blade and had to be more careful than using my slims, fatboy or even the karve but my GC won't be going on sale anytime soon lol.

In fact I'm starting to prefer it over my Gillette English Tech as the tabs aren't exposed and the balance of the GC is starting to grow on me.

Tonight was going to be the 3rd and perhaps the final time I'll be using the game changer 0.84.

I used a nacet stainless both times previously and I really didn't like the shaves at all. Overly aggressive, too much blade feel and I got razor burn both times.

It did pi$$ed me off a bit as I've been using a sorts of DEs and straights. If I can handle a 15/16 razor how did I mess up using a safety razor.

For the 3rd and perhaps final time I got my face lathered up w arko and loaded a new blade into the GC 0.84. This time the shave was better, I got bbs w no razor burn, the difference... I used a n Astra plat.

I can still feel the blade and had to be more careful than using my slims, fatboy or even the karve but my GC won't be going on sale anytime soon lol.

In fact I'm starting to prefer it over my Gillette English Tech as the tabs aren't exposed and the balance of the GC is starting to grow on me.
It is a bit fussy about blades, but not as much as the Mamba .70. out of my current stash of blades I haven't found one that works for me in that razor yet. The Mamba is great, but I don't have it dialed in as of yet. Definitely a razor not to buses when I need to rush as of now.

It is a bit fussy about blades, but not as much as the Mamba .70. out of my current stash of blades I haven't found one that works for me in that razor yet. The Mamba is great, but I don't have it dialed in as of yet. Definitely a razor not to buses when I need to rush as of now.

The Mamba, due to its geometry really requires a super sharp blade IME. For me, only AstraSP and Rapira PlatLux do the trick. I am actually tempted to try a Feather in that one, even though feathers have never worked for me therwise.

I use a GC 0.68 as my daily shaver on a Weber Wave handle. It is a shame that it is discontinued. I only use Astra SPs and Gillette Yellows and they both seem to work with it, so I am good :).

I use a GC 0.68 as my daily shaver on a Weber Wave handle. It is a shame that it is discontinued. I only use Astra SPs and Gillette Yellows and they both seem to work with it, so I am good :).
One blade to be careful with in the GC is KAI. As noted above by @SpannerX, the GC is fussy about blades, I suspect because they are so rigidly clamped, and the extra width of the KAI becomes very noticeable.

I have a very tough and coarse beard and the Gentile mows through my beard with easy and it is the smoothest razor I own. The Grande is yet more efficient.
Thanks, I will have to give them a try now!! Would you say there is noticeable difference between gentile and grande OC? Can only razor heads be bought? I have lot of standard threaded handles rolling about from all those heads who perished along the way.

I used a nacet stainless both times previously and I really didn't like the shaves at all.
Looking at your experience I recommend that you give Voshkhods a try. Most comfortable but low milage blade for me. I ditch it after 2 shaves only but then I can shave with this blade at 5 am with closed eye on my parker variant yawning at 5 and some more. I don't need any baseplate on Voshkhod actually.

Thanks, I will have to give them a try now!! Would you say there is noticeable difference between gentile and grande OC? Can only razor heads be bought? I have lot of standard threaded handles rolling about from all those heads who perished along the way.

Everyone will say something slightly different, but I find that the final product (BBS) is more or less the same between the Grande and Gentile. I do find the Gentile slightly smoother and less likely to bite or cause irritation. The Grande requires better technique and will shave with less strokes, but I find the difference in blade feel SUBSTANTIAL. For me, Gentile is a daily driver and Grande is a once-in-a-blue-moon tool.

As far as heads-only purchases, maybe that is possible, but these razors are so inexpensive ($25-$30 all-in) that I would get the razor plus head one way or another. I find the standard handles on the Grande to be the ones that give the best sense of balance, but I also have a Ulivo and Nobile handle and those are also nice...just not quite as balanced IMO. I tried the Grande last week and I got some irritation...I was doing my GC/Mamba easy peasy careless passes and that was not a good idea. Took 3 days of Mamba/GC shaves to get my skin back to normal. Those Fatip OCs reward frequent use and excellent technique...

One thing to note is that unlike standard M5 threaded handles, Fatips use a M4.5 thread, so the Fatip head might not fit the spare handles you have

I still think it's a great razor, and will keep mine with both plates. I have however gone back to shaving with my Piccolo. Just one shave back with the Piccolo, and the GC went on the shelf for now. Both great, one is better for me.

Exactly, the GC isn't a razor that's going to be my daily driver. Like my straights that I enjoy, the GC is only going to be used selectively. It not the shave in the dark, while showering razor.

One blade to be careful with in the GC is KAI. As noted above by @SpannerX, the GC is fussy about blades, I suspect because they are so rigidly clamped, and the extra width of the KAI becomes very noticeable.

Yes, plus the nacet ss is the thickest and 2nd sharpest to even the feather so its not the blade that will suit the gc at least for now

Looking at your experience I recommend that you give Voshkhods a try. Most comfortable but low milage blade for me. I ditch it after 2 shaves only but then I can shave with this blade at 5 am with closed eye on my parker variant yawning at 5 and some more. I don't need any baseplate on Voshkhod actually.

I would love to but I already have more than 500 nacets ss. Since the gc isn't going to be my daily driver it's unlikely I'll buy blades just for it. Nacet last a long time for me, a month or more in a slim or fatboy or tech.

I have used Feather, Astra SP and Voskhods in my .68 GC and they have all worked well. The feather is clearly sharper but only for about 3 shaves then it is just average. The Voskhod and Astra SP are equals in overall shave quality and are consistent for 6 shaves. This week I am using Lord SS and so far they seem to be equal to the Astra and Voskhod. YMMV but for my 55 year old face and average grey beard, the GC does not seem too picky about blades. I will agree that my Fatip Testina equals my GC in overall shave quality. As stated above, the Piccolo gives a closer shave but requires more attention. Bad technique will result in swift punishment.

Last edited:

Was going to suggest you to see if someone would swap you for the .68 head, but I’m glad you got the hang of it now! :001_cool:

Top Bottom