What's new

Is anyone not happy with the Game Changer .84

My next razor is going to be a GC .84, I need something more aggressive than a EJ-89.
Is anyone not happy with the GC .84 ? Is the .84 more aggressive than a EJ-89 ?

Thanks for the comments

Nope, love mine, great construction for the price. Is it more aggressive than the EJ 89? I couldn't tell you, haven't used that one.

I like mine but it's not the "end-all/be-all" razor for me. I wish it was a bit more aggressive. Still a great razor though, definitely worth the price.

It is an excellent razor and provides me with closer shaves than the DE89 without any increase in irritation or tendency to nick or cut.

Bought the Mamba and it's a tad mild but OK. The fit/finish is fine though, so that had me interested in the RR range of razors.
Bought the GC with .68 plate as wanted that extra 'bite' but the .68 didn't do it for me either.
Bought the GC .84 plate and still don't really like the razor. Maybe with an OC plate it would be great.
I'll keep the Mamba because it's such a sweet wee razor, but the GC will go.
Bought a Fatip Picollo Sp.Ed and way better! Beats the crap out of the GC. Smooth and close shave every time, although the fit/finish is not as good as the GC.
Depends on your face/skin and whiskers. The GC may completely suit you, but maybe the Mamba 70 may be a better razor?

I started with a GC .68 plate and didn’t like it. Had to make to many passes. Traded for a .84 plate and it’s now my most used razor. In fact I’ve used it daily since December 22nd. I find that I don’t reach for my Rex, Timeless or vintage Gillette’s anymore. The GC .84 just works and with no irritation for my face. I’m almost to the point where I may sell my Timeless since it sees no use these days.

Bought the Mamba and it's a tad mild but OK. The fit/finish is fine though, so that had me interested in the RR range of razors.
Bought the GC with .68 plate as wanted that extra 'bite' but the .68 didn't do it for me either.
Bought the GC .84 plate and still don't really like the razor. Maybe with an OC plate it would be great.
I'll keep the Mamba because it's such a sweet wee razor, but the GC will go.
Bought a Fatip Picollo Sp.Ed and way better! Beats the crap out of the GC. Smooth and close shave every time, although the fit/finish is not as good as the GC.
Depends on your face/skin and whiskers. The GC may completely suit you, but maybe the Mamba 70 may be a better razor?

Is the Mamba 70 more aggressive than the .84 ?

Is there another razor in the market that is made of steel and a bit more aggressive than the 0.84 ? same price maybe ? and close comb ?

For me, the ultra-rigid blade clamping design of the GC .84 means things like choice of blade and shaving angle are a lot more important than for some other razors. For example, the slightly wider KAI blade makes a very big difference. But if you get those things right, it will work very well.

I started with a GC .68 plate and didn’t like it. Had to make to many passes. Traded for a .84 plate and it’s now my most used razor. In fact I’ve used it daily since December 22nd. I find that I don’t reach for my Rex, Timeless or vintage Gillette’s anymore. The GC .84 just works and with no irritation for my face. I’m almost to the point where I may sell my Timeless since it sees no use these days.

That's very interesting! What Timeless configuration do you have? I do not have either razor, but have been interested in getting both at different times.

For efficient I'd go open comb. Fatip or R41 or both. I wouldn't hesitate. The Fatip baseplate fits on the R41 top cap and handle so you can also mix and match a bit. Fatip thread is M4.5 or M4.75, not sure which, but the R41 and almost all other razors are M5 threads.

That's very interesting! What Timeless configuration do you have? I do not have either razor, but have been interested in getting both at different times.

I have the .68 solid bar, polished with barberpole handle. Don’t get me wrong the Timeless is a great razor. Just found the $50 game changer is better for my face and gives great shaved with zero irritation.

...Is anyone not happy with the GC .84 ? Is the .84 more aggressive than a EJ-89 ?...
I can say without any reservations that RazoRock Game Changer .84 is the best DE razor I have used so far.
I have been using a DE89 since 2010, exclusively for the last 4 years. The DE89 head on a Bulldog 80mm handle has been a benchmark for me, and all other razors tested were compared against it. DE89/R89 has been the most versatile razor since it is aggressive enough to be efficient for my two-pass shaves and yet, mild enough to relax and mindlessly use it throughout the entire shave. Its angle of attack is intuitive but quite narrow. Made of Zamak, I know, but looking like new even after 8 years of use, 4 of those years on almost daily routine. It has been looked after, disassembled and cleaned after each shave.
Now, the Game Changer .84 is a class above DE89/R89. I have been waiting for this razor for so many years and it is finally here. First thing you notice is how nimble it is. Made entirely of stainless steel, no coating to wear off or chip, it looks slim. The blade tabs are covered. The shave is smooth, smoother than anything I have tried before. The Game Changer .84 has a gap larger than DE89 and you can feel it, offering a wider angle of attack and more efficiency. It is a quiet razor, with less audible feedback that gives you the feel of a precision instrument.
Alum block gives me no sting at all.
I have about 20 shaves with the GC.84, using all Gillette 7 O'Clock blades and Astra SP. Have not tried it with other blades yet.
To me, RazoRock Game Changer .84 deserves its name. Well done RazoRock team.

My next razor is going to be a GC .84, I need something more aggressive than a EJ-89...
In my opinion, go for it. You will not regret.

I am going to buy the .84, I am still waiting for this handle to be for sale again, is taking forever

proxy.php

Is that the best best handle for the .84 ?

Top Bottom