What's new

Is anyone not happy with the Game Changer .84

Yes that's a great suggestion for a SS DOC.

I have the RazoRock SLOC and find that it provides smooth very close shaves without irritation for my face.

Recently I purchased the SS Ascension. Having used it just two times I found it to provide a very close shave (the adjustable feature was not used to increase blade gap) but it was scratchy. The fingers of the comb are not like their counterparts on the SLOC.

Personally I prefer the RR SLOC which of course is also much less expensive.

The ideal DOC razor would be as you suggest a SLOC but made in stainless steel.
The SLOC is the first razor i reach for in the morning. It is the most incredible value in the shaving world.

And that's the reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Ideally I want a razor I can use everyday without giving it a second thought.

The .84 SB was my daily since it was first released, I only benched it when I tried the AL Lupo. They perform similarly for me, but the Lupo is a just a tiny bit more forgiving while giving me around the same amount of efficiency of the .84 SB, plus I like the way it looks. I'm glad I have them both in my den.

I also have the .84 OC but I didn't like it as much; With that said I can't think of any OC's that became my favorite. I have a Blackbird SB that's been my daily for a year more or less but probably used the OC only twice or so.

The .84 SB was my daily since it was first released, I only benched it when I tried the AL Lupo. They perform similarly for me, but the Lupo is a just a tiny bit more forgiving while giving me around the same amount of efficiency of the .84 SB, plus I like the way it looks. I'm glad I have them both in my den.

I also have the .84 OC but I didn't like it as much; With that said I can't think of any OC's that became my favorite. I have a Blackbird SB that's been my daily for a year more or less but probably used the OC only twice or so.

Good to hear. I just ordered a Lupo, as well. Joe does turn out some nice inexpensive high-quality razors.

Hello:

Newbie, here. I just completed my third shave with the GC84. I am new to the DE world of shaving and spent more than a few hours reading up on recommended razors. I ended up choosing the Gamechanger .84. In hind sight, I think I would have been more comfortable with the .68 since I am moving from cartridges to DE shaving. I nicked myself pretty good on my initial shave where I have a bit of an irregular surface (mole) on the border of my upper lip. I think I got a little over confident and was in cruise mode. So, I made a mental note, re-watched a few YoutTube videos and soldiered on to my next shave. My second shave was nick free but not very enjoyable as I was on high alert, having gained newfound respect for my shaver. My poor technique on my neck area was revealed and I was left with a significant razor burn. Not like some of the pictures I've seen on the InterWeb, but still not an enjoyable result. That's where this forum, and particularly, this thread, came into play. I found myself reading along yesterday and picked up on a suggestion/observation that was simple but very helpful to me. This razor seems to like a narrow shave angle. I took that bit of advice into my morning shave today and it was a much more pleasurable experience and outcome.

I am currently using a Lord blade, which was included in my sample pack, and I think when I switch on Thursday I'll try the Atra, since I've seen it referenced a few times with this razor. Full disclosure, I have also made a decision to purchase a Rockwell 6S so that I may experiment with some other gaps since this is a new journey for me. I think I would have went with this razor to begin with if I had it to do over again. I'm not tossing my GC84 aside, but I'm also thinking that for a daily shaver, and me just starting out, it may be nice to have the security blanket of a slightly less efficient razor option to go to (maybe setup 2 or 3 on the Rockwell). Not to mention, it will give me a chance to compare two different razors. In the meantime, I will continue to forge ahead with my GC84 and experiment with my other blades in the sample.

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence with my GC 84. I kind of like it but I think the main reason I'm keeping is that it's a $50 stainless steel razor...

To follow up on my post above, I did try the Atra blade this morning with my new GC84 and was treated to a smoother, more comfortable shave, as compared to the Lord blade I had been using, initially. So, as many experienced DE shavers already know, and routinely emphasize, my brief experience is teaching me that finding the right blade is, indeed, important. I am still looking forward to trying a slightly less efficient gap setting once my new Rockwell 6S arrives next week. I'm thinking I'll probably start out with setting 2, and then anticipate quickly stepping it up to 3, for my daily shaving routine. I will keep my GC84 on hand, ready for a Monday morning shave following a weekend of no shaving, and also for a comparison shave now and again, as compared to maybe the 6S setting of 4. At least this is what I am thinking now.

Edit:
Question: If I intend to use a razor maybe on a weekly basis is the blade integrity/sharpness likely to remain intact sitting idle for a week or more? Said another way, if I wanted to get three or four shaves out of the blade is it conceivable that I could do this using the blade only once per week? (I know blades are cheap but figured I'd ask the question.)

Last edited:
For me the GameChanger has been an inch to a mile situation.

I started out with the GC 68 and found it to be a great shaver. Initially being a little reluctant to go to the GC 84 SB because of concerns that it may be too aggressive I did take the step.

Surprise, as others here have stated, the 84 SB is just as smooth as the 68 but with increased efficiency.

Then IB came out with the 84 open comb. I like so open combs so I have to try that. Again I get a great experience.

Next is the jaws. But it looks too far over the top for me. Still I have to try it. Surprise again! It didn't peel my face off and gave a great shave.

If I had to declare a specific personal preference on the GC spectrum it would be the GC 84 SB or OC but all perform excellent.

Now just like I did with the movie I'm waiting for the release of Jaws 2.

For me the GameChanger has been an inch to a mile situation.

I started out with the GC 68 and found it to be a great shaver. Initially being a little reluctant to go to the GC 84 SB because of concerns that it may be too aggressive I did take the step.

Surprise, as others here have stated, the 84 SB is just as smooth as the 68 but with increased efficiency.

Then IB came out with the 84 open comb. I like so open combs so I have to try that. Again I get a great experience.

Next is the jaws. But it looks too far over the top for me. Still I have to try it. Surprise again! It didn't peel my face off and gave a great shave.

If I had to declare a specific personal preference on the GC spectrum it would be the GC 84 SB or OC but all perform excellent.

Now just like I did with the movie I'm waiting for the release of Jaws 2.

May I ask which blade you like best?

I have used Feather, Personna Blue, Derby but the blade that I have found that works best, for my face anyhow, is Astra SP.

To follow up on my post above, I did try the Atra blade this morning with my new GC84 and was treated to a smoother, more comfortable shave, as compared to the Lord blade I had been using, initially. So, as many experienced DE shavers already know, and routinely emphasize, my brief experience is teaching me that finding the right blade is, indeed, important. I am still looking forward to trying a slightly less efficient gap setting once my new Rockwell 6S arrives next week. I'm thinking I'll probably start out with setting 2, and then anticipate quickly stepping it up to 3, for my daily shaving routine. I will keep my GC84 on hand, ready for a Monday morning shave following a weekend of no shaving, and also for a comparison shave now and again, as compared to maybe the 6S setting of 4. At least this is what I am thinking now.

Edit:
Question: If I intend to use a razor maybe on a weekly basis is the blade integrity/sharpness likely to remain intact sitting idle for a week or more? Said another way, if I wanted to get three or four shaves out of the blade is it conceivable that I could do this using the blade only once per week? (I know blades are cheap but figured I'd ask the question.)
do yourself a favor and try a razorock SLOC with a gillette silver blue in it. the razor is $17-$20 bucks. it is the very smoothest shave of all of my razors, including the GC .84.

bigbrucefan I've already invested in the Rockwell 6S but I may just take your advice after I feel I've given ample time to test drive the 6S (and the GC84, for that matter). Thank you.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
do yourself a favor and try a razorock SLOC with a gillette silver blue in it. the razor is $17-$20 bucks. it is the very smoothest shave of all of my razors, including the GC .84.

The SLOC may be smooth, but I dont find it nearly as efficient as the GC-84. I feel its on par with the GC-68 for efficiency. Maybe even a little more so.

The SLOC may be smooth, but I dont find it nearly as efficient as the GC-84. I feel its on par with the GC-68 for efficiency. Maybe even a little more so.
Exactly why I recommend it to nearly everyone starting out. It's so easy to 'learn' how to shave with a SLOC. I still use mine every day - usually in combination with a more efficient razor. Today was the timeless .95, yesterday the GC .84. If I had to pick only one razor, it would be the SLOC.

I appreciated the recommendation and clearly identified myself as a newbie, for this reason. I was hoping to gain some practical, hands on insights and advice. For what it's worth, I had my second shave with the Astra this AM using my GC84 and it was, again, a very smooth experience. I think I could use this as a daily shaver, now, but if I'm honest I'm still a little too timid with it so I think I'll back off of it for a spell when my new Rockwell 6S arrives early next week.

Anyway, I think I'll leave it at that and begin a new thread if I believe I have anything further to contribute. It feels like I'm hijacking this thread. (Even though it has been quite helpful to me. Thank you.)

Gonna be difficult to find someone who wants to part with their 68, I suspect. Not many in circulation, very little future inventory in sight, and one of the finest SS razors ever produced for those who prefer a mild yet efficient shave. Best of luck to you both getting your hands on one.
Well, if that's true, you guys posting on these shaving forums are largely to blame, as Joe the RR guy seems to pay close attention to them. And somehow the guys who like the more aggressive razors seem to be the more aggressive posters. But my take of Joe's overall strategy is that he doesn't like to carry inventory of his $50+ models, and the .68 isn't as big a seller as the .84 for whatever reason. Still, as long as it keeps selling reasonably well he will have a few more made now and then. My bet is the same thing will happen to whichever of the OC and Jaws is less popular. I know I'm not selling my .68 any time soon.

Well, if that's true, you guys posting on these shaving forums are largely to blame, as Joe the RR guy seems to pay close attention to them. And somehow the guys who like the more aggressive razors seem to be the more aggressive posters. But my take of Joe's overall strategy is that he doesn't like to carry inventory of his $50+ models, and the .68 isn't as big a seller as the .84 for whatever reason. Still, as long as it keeps selling reasonably well he will have a few more made now and then. My bet is the same thing will happen to whichever of the OC and Jaws is less popular. I know I'm not selling my .68 any time soon.

"..you guys posting on shaving forums"? Lol. Don't we all including you? Either way, the aggressive razor crowd definitely is squeekier than the rest of us, so you have a point there. Either way, I LOVE my GC68.

"..you guys posting on shaving forums"? Lol. Don't we all including you? Either way, the aggressive razor crowd definitely is squeekier than the rest of us, so you have a point there. Either way, I LOVE my GC68.
Yup. Glad you saw that my reference to "you guys" wasn't 100 percent serious. Some people get way too serious on these internet forums. :cool:

Top Bottom