What's new

Is anyone excited about the warmer weather to come? Any big plans?

Wife and I decided to buy an outfitter tent with our refund this year so we can go camping and have enough room for the whole family. 4 humans, 2 big dogs, and 1 freakishly huge dog. Get out do some fishing, and some hunt scouting so come fall I have an idea where the critters may be.

I chimed in on another thread that I'm trying to do some car camping this year. Iowa has a lot of state and county parks with camping spots, hiking and fishing opportunities. It seems like an economical way to kill a few weekends when I'm not headed down to the farm. There are probably some limited backpacking areas, but I'm in no shape to take advantage of those, yet.

On those weekends that I do get down to the farm, it looks like it's going to be a lot of gardening. I have decided that this year I am really going to try and grow enough vegetables to try and do some canning. Usually my father and I don't grow anything beyond what we can immediately consume except for tomatoes and potatoes. This year I'm trying to expand on that.

Another weekend at the farm activity is going to be target shooting. I've had some guns for a while but, but recently faced up to not being able to hit the broad side of a barn. I need to get in some practice and resolve that.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the 1/2 acre garden that I do. We generally fill the deep freezer and do a lot of canning. Warm weather also allows me to ferment certain grains and to turn it into a clear liquid :biggrin1:

Well, there's the usual round of SCA events, plus we normally do quite a bit of geocaching too. The LOML is the boss accountant for a motorcycle/powersports dealership and warmer weather is their busy season, so it's very hard for her to get any significant time off. Our big trips are usually around this time of year, and since I have relatives in both FL and southern CA... I have free crash space where it's *warm*! :)

Looking forward to camping season with the wife and kids. I've been taking them for a few years and last year we purchased our first pop-up trailer. It's a 10 year old and in decent shape. We really like Starved Rock State Park, so at least one trip is in the works. I'd also like to venture down to Missouri for a long weekend with the kiddos.

Every September we do the Apple Cider century in Three Oaks, MI (bike ride). We stick to the 15 or 25mi routes though since the kids are young and they don't have too many miles in them yet. The best part is we camp at Warren Dunes SP with my brother, sister, mother and have a blast.

I don't know about warmer weather. -38F here in Western Alaska this morning. The river doesn't break up until end of April, beginning of May. When it does, I can get to bear hunting and fishing. Good stuff.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
today I picked up 4 lures that were marked down to $0.36 each! spinners. once it warms up i'm getting the fishing license and hitting the water holes.

The ice melted on the lakes around me two weeks ago, last weekend my wife and I went out a purchased two kayaks after spending the winter planning out all the gear we would need to get into the sport. Pretty much plan on paddling every weekend this summer.

The ice melted on the lakes around me two weeks ago, last weekend my wife and I went out a purchased two kayaks after spending the winter planning out all the gear we would need to get into the sport. Pretty much plan on paddling every weekend this summer.

Nice! I am planning on getting mine out more this summer, hopefully the near drought conditions here won't kill all the river action.

When it gets consistently warm, I'll be fishing, country drives with the windows down, working on my car, watching baseball games at Great American Ballpark, and dusting off my GT mountain bike. Also, I'll be finishing up what I have called Project Un, my single-speed freewheel road bike that I've cobbled together from various parts and a 1983 Huffy frame. The end goal is to have 700c wheels (the rear is putting up a fight, the front one dropped right in).

Top Bottom