What's new

Is anyone blade neutral?

I noticed on the boards that people seem to have strong blade preferences. I usually buy on price.

As an experiment I have used all of the free blade samples I have received from vendors that include them when you order.

I started in October of 2011

I shaved with each blade for 3 days

Day 1 & 2: EJ DE89L
Day 3: Merkur Futur at 3 -starting end of November when purchased. Before that DE89 all three days

Beginning in January, I started to include a 4th day with a R41

Blades used

7AM Platinum - Bangladesh
7 O'Clock Green Perma Sharp
7 O'Clock Blue Super Platinum
7 O'Clock Black Platinum
7 O'Clock Yellow SharpEdge
Astra Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless
Crystal
Personna Blue - Lab
Dorco 301
Derby
Wilkinson White
Wilkinson Black
Feather
KAI
Sputnik
Big Ben
Zorrik
Shark Super Stainless
Lord Platinum
Lord Stainless
Racer
Gillette Super Thin
Bic Chrome
SuperMax Blue
Merkur
Racer
Bolzano

In each case I got a BBS or DFS+ using WTG, WTG, and XTG with some ATG touch up.

I have yet to encounter a blade that was brutal or made me say that I would never use it again. All gave comfortable shaves.

Does anyone else have no blade preference?

Last edited:
On areas where I have little growth, any blade will do. On the areas where I have thick, wiry growth, blades perform very differently, and I have a pronounced preference.

I always get a good shave regardless of what I use. I keep 4 or 5 different blades open on the counter at any given time and pick them up in no set order.

Everything I've ever used works for me.

Nope...I have a very thick beard and many blades simply do not "cut" it, for lack of a better term, for me. That is good news for you though. Get a 100 pack of the cheapest one that you like and you are set!

Technique Wins! :D

+1

I think technique is vastly more important than the actual blade choice.

When I first started, I thought the differences between blades was significant. Having now been at this for over two years, I have now come to the conclusion that the differences between blades is minimal.

I can use just about any blade, and have good results. Of course there are exceptions, as there are some blades out there that are truly super dull.

I wouldn't say I'm blade neutral, but I've got good shaves from every blade I've tried so far*. Some are very obviously sharper than others, but you just need to adapt your technique.
(*Except for one single duff blade - a Feather.)

On areas where I have little growth, any blade will do. On the areas where I have thick, wiry growth, blades perform very differently, and I have a pronounced preference.

I would agree with that. Would you mind saying what your prefered blade is?
Feathers have worked out best for me so far. Boring, but true.

With every blade I've used so far, I can get a great shave...what's different is the comfort of the shave. Some blades (Astras) glide over my face far more easily than others (Crystals).

Pretty much, especially with the Lord L6 and Weber. Although some blades need to be changed sooner than others.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No, not neutral at all. With DE blades, Gillette 7o'clock yellows are my favorite, bar none. Followed by Astra SP, Rapira, and Shark SS. After that, most of what I have tried I can get decent enough shaves with, but the mentioned ones are the go to blade. One blade that will NEVER touch my face again is Treet. If they were the only blades available, I wouldn't shave DE (I would go straights, though). I had one shave (and one shave only) with a Treet and it was the most god awful shaving experience in my life. I had my technique down good, too. I started this in January, and tried a Treet in September. Lots of irritation, and a few cuts- I almost never get irritation (unless I am in a hurry) and almost never get cuts. I still have 4 left. I would give them away, but wouldn't want to be mean to my fellow forum members.

i prefer feathers, i can get a good shave out of all the blades ive tried so far but feathers are the only ones which last more than 2 shaves for me

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Feather for me too. But I haven't yet tried any Gillette 7 O'Clocks, which are in the mail.

I find them pretty equal for the first two shave. The 7o'clock yellows take over from there. The feathers, to me, get a little rougher on shave 3. I have gotten 5 great shaves out of the yellows, but usually do no more than 4.

I'm fairly blade neutral. Have used a good 30 different blades and have only truly hated one, the rest have been either great or excellent. The only time that it really matters for me is if I've got more than two days growth, I need to use a sharper blade like a Yellow or a Feather. Otherwise that first pass can be pretty tuggy. For me, it's just fun using a different blade every once in a while.

I've got to admit that I'm pretty neutral too. Some combinations of blade and razor haven't worked for me, but I have noticed the same brand in a different razors feels different and I can usually get a comfortable shave.

I've only used one blade that I thought was truly awful and left me with a lot of irritation and I do avoid them.

Having said that I have a stock of blades I am happy and comfortable with and so my goto blades are Crystal, Red IP and Astra SP.

Top Bottom