What's new

Is any shaving cream (or soap) slicker than Palmolive?

I haven’t tried everything. I’d say maybe 15 creams from bigger brands in the EU/US. Palmolive, Proraso, Lea, Karo, etc.

For me, Palmolive seems the slickest and cushiest. Is there something I’m missing or HAVE to try? Are there artisan brands that beat Palmolive for slickness and post shave feel?

It's been awhile since I used Palmolive. There's a soap I've been using from Ach. Brito (Portugal) called Musgo (not Musgo Real). This has been extremely slick when applied using this face lathering method. First, the soap is held in hand and rubbed on the damp face to create a thin layer of soap. Then, the brush is loaded from the puck and the lather is built on the face with the addition of water three or four times. A large brush will hold enough lather for three or more passes. You can touch-up just by applying a bit of water to the residual soap left on the face.

1682440683645.png

I think a lot of soaps provide more slickness and more cushion than Palmolive cream. I like Palmolive, for sure, but even Arko provides me with more slickness and cushion if enough of it is used in my lather. I also think Cyril R Salter and Proraso green creams provide more slickness. Of course those other creams cost quite a bit more than Palmolive, though.

I like Palmolive, for sure, but even Arko provides me with more slickness and cushion if enough of it is used in my lather.
That’s interesting. I like Arko soap. But it doesn’t provide anywhere near the slickness and post shave softness that I get from Palmolive for me.

That’s interesting. I like Arko soap. But it doesn’t provide anywhere near the slickness and post shave softness that I get from Palmolive for me.

I was disappointed in my Arko shaves until I stopped using it like a stick and used it like a puck of soap. Then I loaded more soap into my brush and used less water, so my lather was just past the pasty stage. Then Arko really impressed me. Lots of cushion and slickness.

That's been my experience exactly. Like the OP, I have found Palmolive to be among the slickest lather-producers that I have used whether soaps or creams. I wouldn't say that the cushion is better than others, but slickness? Yeah.

For sheer slickness, Captain’s Choice soap leads the pack of the soaps and creams I’ve tried. La Savonnerie du Moulin soap is a close second. But Palmolive cream is more than slick enough to get the job done.

Top Bottom