What's new

Is an R41 your daily driver?

I've been using my 2011 R41 for the past few days after getting a superb shave from the razor following a few months of R41 hiatus. Super close and no blood or visual irritation but my skin feels a bit tender on the jawline and cheeks. Maybe a little too much pressure still??? I've read that people find it to be a great shaver but hard to handle everyday.

Yeah probably just a bit too much pressure in those areas. It really takes a light touch. I use it with a very shallow blade angle. I treat it like a straight in DE form.

I've been using my 2011 R41 for the past few days after getting a superb shave from the razor following a few months of R41 hiatus. Super close and no blood or visual irritation but my skin feels a bit tender on the jawline and cheeks. Maybe a little too much pressure still??? I've read that people find it to be a great shaver but hard to handle everyday.

while i get close shaves with mine, it comes with pain
i've yet to master the angle on it and need a full 2 days off after my attempts before shaving with anything else
i will only take it out on a long weekend so i have time to heal from the minor wounds it inflicts on me
hopefully we can come to terms at Christmas when i'll give it a new soap to taste
if not, i'll fit right in with the season dressed in red, on my face

I only shave every other day and I have been using my R41 2013. I love it but at first I could not get a smooth shave with it. I think I finally found the correct angle for me. I keep the handle almost parallel to my face. Now I love it.

I do shave everyday with my 2013, but it shaves so close, I get a better shave if I can skip a day to let the beard grow out a bit more. No pain, all gain.

I vacillate between my 2011 and 2013. Every time I think I've come to a final decision, I get a great shave with the other one. I also like to try throwing in one of my collection every once a while, but I almost always end up finishing with an R41. I just can't get that close with anything else.

R41 2011 is my daily shaver. Calmest skin, longest lasting intense BBS, can shave slowly or quickly if I need to, weeperless. What's not to like.

Good timing on this thread! I just got my first 2011 R41 and have used it three days in a row. All I can say is that if the shaves are this good and irritation free with me being at the beginning of the learning curve most report for it, then this has a real potential of becoming my daily shaver.

I used much more angle than necessary the first shave and it didn't matter in the end; no irritation or weepers. Yesterday and today were increasingly better shaves, all with a decreased angle. I did have a small nick today but it's nothing in the scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. Today I have true BBS where I went for it, and DFS elsewhere.

I have never had problems with irritation after shaving with my 2013 R41, all my problems occurred during the shave, as it felt like the R41 was trying to pull out my whiskers. I went back to my R41 last week & shaved for 5 days straight & I think I am finally getting to grips with the angle & my shaves were a lot smoother as a consequence. The angle that works for me, is with the handle almost perpendicular to my face, but I know that others have found that their R41s work better with the handles nearly parallel to their faces. The R41 certainly has a wide range of cutting angles. The other thing technique-wise that made big difference, was to greatly slow down the speed of the stokes, giving the blade more time to make a clean cut.

After day 2 with the R41 last week, I realised that my 3rd (ATG) pass was not actually necessary, as there was no stubble left to remove. For this reason, I think that anyone with sensitive skin should think about getting an 2013 R41, as fewer passes/touching up equals less irritation.

Not yet - still flip between my Futur and Vision during the week, unless I don't shave on the weekend and I need to plow through a couple days of stubble. I'm not that confident yet given how aggressive the razor is, but I've never had any irritation or issues with an R41 (2013) shave.

I have been wetshaving for about a month. I picked up a used post 2013 R41 from the classifieds. I love it! It has been my primary razor. I have a hard time calling it my daily driver since I typically do not shave every day. I feel that the sweet spot is three day growth. Well inspired by PaulHFilms videos of back to back R41 shaves, I shaved with my R41 this evening after shaving yesterday with my R41 as well. My face is BBS with only minor irritation. I don't have any more irritation than when I shaved two days in a row with any other razor: gillette fusion proglide, fat handle pre-war tech, or '52 superspeed. Even though it went well today, there is no reason or way, I am picking up my R41 tomorrow.

Yeah probably just a bit too much pressure in those areas. It really takes a light touch. I use it with a very shallow blade angle. I treat it like a straight in DE form.

This, plus I stretch my skin like when I use a straight. I happily use this razor on consecutive days - shaves closer than anything else in two passes, and is very easy on my sensitive skin. I was about to go all in using it daily until I started using the Rockwell 6S, which gives me a great shave but allows a more relaxed approach. I think I'll be going back and forth between the two now.

The R41 2013 style is not one of my favourites. I tend to use AN ATT S2 or Gillette adjustable mostly. I use something like the R41 if I need a quick 'one pass' or I'm bored.

I've used it for 28 days straight at one time but now it works in a rotation with a few others. When it's turn comes up, I typically use it for as long as whatever blade I'm using lasts.

Not yet. Still on the learning curve with the R41, but it does deliver an amazing shave when I get my technique right. It might be too much razor for my daily needs, but will probably figure in my regular rotation. Interesting discussion in this thread about angles - I found it performed best for me with a steeper angle than I usually employ, but using the R41 properly is still a work in progress for me.

It used to be from when it first was introduced in 2011 and onwards. These days i stick to straight razors. They give even closer shaves and require less from the shaver. Even so after reading this thread I'll make an exception and bring out a R41 tomorrow. I've kept all of my R41 razors. [emoji2]

Edit: The no longer in production Merkur Vision gives just as close shaves on maximum setting but is much easier to handle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom