What's new

Is alcohol really bad in shave products?

Alcohols such as ethanol, isopropyl alcohol, alcohol denat(ured) are often used as a preservative and/or to help other ingredients in a product penetrate your skin. These alcohols can (I didn't say, "will") cause dryness and skin irritation. Personally, I avoid it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Not for me, I much prefer using high alcohol aftershave because I love the strong post shave burn it gives. Alcohol is included for its antiseptic qualities I think. Some say it should be avoided as it can dry the skin which is probably true, especially if your skin is already prone to dryness. Mine is not so I am happy to use it, plus my need for a post shave burn outweighs any such concerns. 👍

Alcohol can burn and dry the skin. Some people find that alcohol splashes work better than balms or vice-versa. If a label is telling you it doesn't have alcohol in it, it is just letting you know that it won't burn/dry your skin. Its good for sensitive skin etc. Its more a personal preference thing, in the past alcohol splash was the easiest, most cost effective way. Now there are options.

It depends on who you ask. Alcohol is a disinfectant but it can strip skin oils pretty easily. If your skin produces plenty of oils naturally, alcohol will probably not bother you. OTOH, if your skin is dry and sensitive, you might not like using much alcohol.

Note that products can vary a lot in how much alcohol they contain (from 0% to 80% or so). You might be OK with a lower concentration when a higher concentration causes problems.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Ah love my Clubman!
Agreed! I've never been much of an AS user, but after trying Clubman Pinaud I was hooked, and use it after every shave.

I do find the Clubman line of AS to be less irritating and burning than others, which is nice because I don't like the burning so much, and Clubman feels more soothing than lighting my face on fire with others. :cool:

Agreed! I've never been much of an AS user, but after trying Clubman Pinaud I was hooked, and use it after every shave.

I do find the Clubman line of AS to be less irritating and burning than others, which is nice because I don't like the burning so much, and Clubman feels more soothing than lighting my face on fire with others. :cool:
Yeah there’s something about Clubman that is so great that I could use it as my only aftershave. Everyday.

It’s a myth that started 20+ years ago. (See Patrick Bateman; “I use an aftershave with little to no alcohol because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older”)

Now it’s a convenient excuse for manufacturers to avoid alcohol shipping laws and/or to use cheaper substitutes like water.

Alcohol keeps me from getting zits. It’s a must for me.

Top Bottom