What's new

Is a taste for gourmet coffee an acquired one?

I'm saying the supply of JBM is limited because people with oil money that are not from Texas or Alaska buy it all.

A ha ok, I just misunderstood.

Yes, there is no doubt that lots of money chases a name in coffee vs the actual quality. Thats not to say JBM isn't good coffee, but when it is close to $40/lb, and you can get some amazing Kenya and other E. African coffees for $10/lb.... as the old saying goes, there is a sucker born every minute. :)

I grew up in New York City and good restaurants always had super coffee. I've been searching for those tastes for years. It's not the Starbucks dark roast taste either it is much softer.

I grew up in New York City and good restaurants always had super coffee. I've been searching for those tastes for years. It's not the Starbucks dark roast taste either it is much softer.

I have never been able to get close to Starbucks burned coffee taste. The good chain coffee was always DD, as mentioned earlier. (And believe it or not, Waffle House coffee, which they used to sell by the pound as well.)

But a lot of good restaurants have excellent house blends. Although the Starbucks marketing success has pushed a lot toward darker roasts. :(

Small problem with JBM is that it's counterfitted so, unless you're getting stuff from a trusted source you may not have even had JBM. Also, JBM doesn't do well past medium-dark. So, ya, a dark roasted JBM will likely taste worse than super market espresso.

It was brought back by friends visiting Jamaica :biggrin1:

Top Bottom